PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1903 rear sight markings

Randy A
08-13-2018, 05:23
When did Remington move the "R" from the right side of the 1903 rear sight? Just trying to figure out if this is early or late, I have a complete rear sight but the "R" is in the same locations that Oneida placed them. If I had to guess, I'd say late, it really looks like an Oneida sight, any chance they started making them for Remington?

https://i.imgur.com/BRdxFDHl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/npjziyRl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4omb9Hjl.jpg

John Beard
08-13-2018, 09:21
The rear sight you have is not a Remington rear sight. I can’t be certain, but I believe your rear sight was manufactured by Perry Pointe, a WWII Army Ordnance spare parts contractor.

The windage knob, however, is an early Remington windage knob.

J.B.

nsfdfiremed
08-14-2018, 02:20
Fellows,
Forum members have previously identified this sight as a RIA or Remington. I'm hoping these additional pics are helpful deciding which it is. If anyone could use this sight PM me so we can figure a value, I no longer need it as I have the found the correct one for my rifle.

John Beard
08-14-2018, 03:24
Nsfdfiremed,

Your rear sight is indeed an authentic Remington rear sight.

J.B.

Randy A
08-14-2018, 08:30
The rear sight you have is not a Remington rear sight. I can’t be certain, but I believe your rear sight was manufactured by Perry Pointe, a WWII Army Ordnance spare parts contractor.

The windage knob, however, is an early Remington windage knob.

J.B.

With the "R" markings? Not sure if the pictures do justice but they are definitely "R"s.

John Beard
08-15-2018, 01:42
With the "R" markings? Not sure if the pictures do justice but they are definitely "R"s.

I indeed noted that your rear sight, without question, is marked with “R’s”. But the presence of “R” markings does not necessarily indicate that your rear sight was made by Remington. It was not. During 1918, for example, Springfield Armory had a subinspector who marked a bunch of trigger guards and floorplates with “R’s.” But to my knowledge, his name was not “Remington”.

On a side note, I may have a spare authentic Remington rear sight. If so and you would like to trade, please reply.

Thanks!

J.B.

nsfdfiremed
08-15-2018, 02:31
JB,
Thanks for your expert knowledge and help with my project. If anybody needs a Remington sight please PM me.

Randy A
08-15-2018, 08:09
I indeed noted that your rear sight, without question, is marked with “R’s”. But the presence of “R” markings does not necessarily indicate that your rear sight was made by Remington. It was not. During 1918, for example, Springfield Armory had a subinspector who marked a bunch of trigger guards and floorplates with “R’s.” But to my knowledge, his name was not “Remington”.

On a side note, I may have a spare authentic Remington rear sight. If so and you would like to trade, please reply.

Thanks!

J.B.

Thanks JB, There was a WTB posted for a Remington, guess he'll have to keep looking :)