PDA

View Full Version : Remongton 1903 milled buttswivel

gjungle56
08-20-2018, 06:13
I am desporterizing an otherwise nice condition 3190000 1903 (real shame it was in a butchered pederson device stock) I am wondering about the buttswivel. From posts followed here it seems it should be blue/black in finish. But is it R marked? I have a parkerized finish worn R buttswivel but I'd like to find a right one. Were all Remington 1903 buttswivels R marked? Thanx for any info

George

Sunray
08-20-2018, 09:43
Remington '03 S/N 3,190,000 was made in 1941, so the stock wasn't right anyway. Pedersen Devices were ordered destroyed long before that rifle was made.
I believe Remington marked their parts with the 'R' until production of the A3 got into full swing. Parkerizing would have been used for any arsenal rebuilding.

John Beard
08-20-2018, 02:30
I am desporterizing an otherwise nice condition 3190000 1903 (real shame it was in a butchered pederson device stock) I am wondering about the buttswivel. From posts followed here it seems it should be blue/black in finish. But is it R marked? I have a parkerized finish worn R buttswivel but I'd like to find a right one. Were all Remington 1903 buttswivels R marked? Thanx for any info

George

I cannot be absolutely certain, but I do not believe that all Remington butt swivels were “R” marked. Many if not most, however, were “R” marked, especially in the later serial ranges like your rifle. The correct finish would be black oxide over die-forging.

Good Luck!

J.B.

gjungle56
08-21-2018, 06:05
Thanx for the responses. Have been checking local show and ebay, but they seem to be few and far between.

John Beard
08-21-2018, 10:00
Yes, “few and far between” would describe the Remington butt swivel you seek. Most Remingtons with those butt swivels were issued to the Navy and original rifles are, likewise, few and far between.

Good Luck!

J.B.