PDA

View Full Version : Broom Handle Mauser

Ken The Kanuck
08-27-2018, 02:30
I am thinking of buying a Broom Handle mauser. I had a quick look at it and it appears to be in very good condition, it comes with the wooden stock/holster and a 9 mm barrel.

Any thoughts what a fair price might be and any information you could pass on would be most welcome.

Thanks

KTK

togor
08-27-2018, 04:02
How is the bore? Is it one of those scrubbed out Chinese ones with no rifling left? The 9mm version may bring the price down a bit.

gwp
08-27-2018, 04:38
I purchased what I believe to be a restored Model 30 Broom-Handle Mauser. This was shortly after all the C96s were imported from China. The M30 was refinished using rust blueing and it had bright fire blueing on some of the small parts and polished metal on other parts. The Mauser looked new but I believe it was converted to 9mm and reproduction Red 9 grips and stock/holster were used. It is not import marked and all the numbers match. I gave $700 for the Mauser which was less than it cost the previous owner. When I purchased M30 there was a company in Ohio that was restoring the Chinese C96s. My Mauser may have been one of these.

Today restoration of a Broom-Handle cost as much as it cost me to purchase the restored M30 years ago.

Vern Humphrey
08-27-2018, 04:49
First of all, make sure that it is what it purports to be. Secondly make sure it's shootable. Third, ask yourself, "can I afford it?"

If it's the real thing, shootable and you can afford it -- buy it! If you hold it long enough, you won't lose money.

Ken The Kanuck
08-27-2018, 05:37
How is the bore? Is it one of those scrubbed out Chinese ones with no rifling left? The 9mm version may bring the price down a bit.

She is German around 100 years old, I did not clarify myself very well, it has the 7.63 barrel on it and a spare 9 mm also. It is pre BOLO/

Thanks for the reply.

KTK

lyman
08-27-2018, 05:53
I sold a couple rebuilds,
bright blue, good relined bore,
one bolo and one 6"

both were looking like new, and sold at $1500 ea

sold a nickel finished original (bringback that the GI sent to the bumper chrome shop) for $1300

sold a commercial, not bolo, with wood stock
bringback, no papers, the funky bakelite or resin correct commercial grips, for just a hair under 3K a while back,

all USD, not sure what they bring in Canada

Ken The Kanuck
08-27-2018, 06:20
I sold a couple rebuilds,
bright blue, good relined bore,
one bolo and one 6"

both were looking like new, and sold at $1500 ea

sold a nickel finished original (bringback that the GI sent to the bumper chrome shop) for $1300

sold a commercial, not bolo, with wood stock
bringback, no papers, the funky bakelite or resin correct commercial grips, for just a hair under 3K a while back,

all USD, not sure what they bring in Canada

Thanks Lyman for the info. I did a conversion and the the price is $1929.00 USD. With the additional barrel and in good shape I am figuring it is a fair price. As the seller is a friend of mine so I want to pay a fair price,

KTK

mpmax
08-27-2018, 10:27
Find a copy of "System Mauser" and read up on the C96 and it's variations.

Tuna
08-28-2018, 07:37
AND be sure NOT to use .30 Tokarev ammo in it. PPU makes the correct .30 Mauser for it. Your new Broom handle with thank you for it. After all it's a good 100+ years old. Lots of fun to shoot.

Vern Humphrey
08-28-2018, 09:04
Who knows, it might be the one Churchill used at Omderman, or Eamon DeValera's "Peter the Painter."

JB White
08-28-2018, 10:27
As a related side topic, there is an option for Broomhandle dreamers on a budget. They're making them in Co2 now. Uncertain but I think there may be more than one maker? Here's one that popped up atop a search:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Legends_C96_CO2_BB_Pistol/3286

Sunray
08-28-2018, 10:42
Prices will be different in Beautiful British Columbia than they are Stateside. Last Broomhandle all by itself, I saw in a Toronto shop, easily 30 years ago, was at $1100Cdn and it was in poor condition. A 2016 discussion of the same subject on milsurps.com suggests they run about 2 grand Cdn. Mind you, IGUNS had a Chinese contract C96 that did not sell at $1500Cdn. No bids.
However, there are lots of repro stocks and, of course, condition is every thing. So is whether or not it's a converted/rebarreled Chinese 7.63 or an original "red 9".
"...has the 7.63 barrel on it and a spare 9 mm..." Somethin' ain't right about that. I think it was an either or thing, not one with a spare in the other. Dunno for sure.

Ken The Kanuck
08-28-2018, 07:38
Not too sure how to make this show up as a photo but here is a link to the broom handle which I bought today. It came with 2 barrels a 7.63 and a 9 mm, the repro stock/holster and a box and a half of ammo.

Any more pictures or info required let me know.

Thanks to everyone for your post's.

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipMnklOBQLiuAlg_8PW90mMYWWfHCejgarm0Kq4a

KTK

gwp
08-28-2018, 07:54
I think you will probably enjoy the Mauser until you try to assemble it the first time. Assembling a C96 is not difficult but you need to know the secret. Just hold the action parts in your hand in the approximate assembled location and squeeze.

The link to the pictures did not work for me.

Ken The Kanuck
08-28-2018, 08:15
Tinypic worked for me, hope for you too GWP

http://i68.tinypic.com/wji450.jpg

dryheat
08-28-2018, 11:23
OOH! That's another thing that I should have bought and never did. Of course I finally got a Luger and hated it. Sold it immediately, but at least I can say I had one.

Greg H. in Virginia
08-30-2018, 08:12
I bought an all-matching 7.63 BH for $1300 a couple of years ago. Not a lot of rifling left in the bore, so I had Randal Redman re-line it. It wouldn't feed properly, so I replaced the recoil spring myself and took care of that problem, and also replaced the slide stop at the same time. Functions just fine now.
Then I bought a re-blued mixmaster "red 9" with an excellent bore recently for $1100. It too wouldn't feed properly, and a recoil spring replacement took care of that as well. Also replaced the slide stop. Got repro holsters for both, and now to get shoulder stocks.

Tuna
08-31-2018, 10:14
Does the serial number match the .30 Mauser or the 9mm? The picture looks very nice. Is the stock serial numbered too?