PDA

View Full Version : Update on remodel

S.A. Boggs
09-01-2018, 03:15
The shell is just about completed, now will come the finishing of the inside. Total square feet is now 2,708! I will be adding pictures later this weekend as I have many irons in the fire on this and other projects. The Solexx roof is fantastic, spreads the sun's rays out and man is it bright as well as warm. Started to move the potted plants inside and will build additional grow beds for plants that need soil to grow in, otherwise hydroponics. :banana100:
Sam

free1954
09-03-2018, 02:28
good for you. send some pics of the solexx roof. I had never heard of it before. how does it stand up to cold weather?

S.A. Boggs
09-03-2018, 03:15
This is the ramp leading up to my house, if you look you will see the room lit up brightly. This is just the light gathering ability of the Solexx and nothing more. It is bright and hot in the room during the day as the sun's rays are dissipated like in a kaleidoscope. During the summer I am going to instill shade cloth on the outside to help with the heat. I researched this film and it does well in cold/snow and holds up quite well. Installed properly it is easy to walk across as we have done it during installation. Be warned, it is not cheap but in the long run the cost is low. Maintance is a yearly spray off with soap and water nothing more.
Sam

S.A. Boggs
09-03-2018, 03:23
44181 Up the ramp.
Sam

S.A. Boggs
09-03-2018, 03:32
View from the "summer kitchen" down into the 800 square foot solarium. I have the griddle that is still in the box and bought a Char Broil 4 burner grill for additional cooking. I am going to use both year round for different flavored food. The warm weather kitchen I have designed will be able to be opened in good weather screened in and closed off insulated in cold weather. In my home, I will have three kitchens available as needed. If need be, I can accommodate 25-40 people at a meal. I have cop buddies who like to eat and will be dropping by during their shift. Will post more pictures later as I can find time to, today will be building grow beds and moving in the rest of the potted plants.
Sam

S.A. Boggs
09-03-2018, 03:54
This is our "retirement" home and I have tried to think of everything for my bride. The Amish craftsman are very skilled and diligent with their work, very hard workers. For a crew of 4 family members the cost was $3200 per week x 5 weeks so far. We figure two more day and the shell will be ready for cold weather. My family and I will be doing the inside and now hiring of an electrician and plumber. The "off" season is coming up so should be able to hire for these jobs without a problem. Come spring my family and I will do the landscaping as we want to. I am going to install white stone and rose bushes in front of the house and to the right of the ramp will be a fountain next to a small wood bridge over our creek area onto the planned vineyard. The best part is NO MORTGAGE, not having to mess with bankers except them not wanting us to take money out of savings. Offered to provide a "modest" mortgage for our construction, politely told them thanks but no thanks. First time I turned a bank down...a first certainly for them as well. @ my age I have enough concerns, it is only a problem if I handle it and not turn it over to God.
Sam

free1954
09-04-2018, 02:13
nice. in the picture in post 5 it looks like there is no roof at all. I didn't realize that solexx was that strong.

S.A. Boggs
09-04-2018, 07:18
Solexx is a very strong material and quite stable, that is why I picked it for the roof.
Sam

Allen
09-04-2018, 08:29
Looking good Sam, the dogs seem to be enjoying it too. Off hand do you know if the solexx has to be pilot drilled first or can you simply drive a nail or screw through it?

S.A. Boggs
09-04-2018, 02:35
Use a nail/screw with a neoprene washer is all that is needed. By the way, my home will also have a 50 foot air weapon range able to accommodate two shooters.
Sam

S.A. Boggs
09-17-2018, 01:24
Had our first big storm, many leaks in roof that had to be found and fixed, but boy did it rain. Used roof tar in a tube to seal the overlap better, right now getting the remnants of the hurricane and only one little leak to take care of. What is astounding about the SOLEXX is the light gathering ability late into the evening. Have moved all the potted plants into the conservatory [fancy word huh!] and the plants are growing better then outside. This week will go do to the garden and cut some of the tomato plants off and replant into large pots that we have. With proper watering, the stems will re-root for transplant. All of our plants are non-hybrid old style plants and they taste good. Going to start bush/pole beans, cantaloupe and other vegetables in the coming days. I am rethinking the idea of a kitchen as I am having a heck of a good time cooking on my Char Broil 4 burner gas grill. I have a large charcoal smoker that I could also grill on, a pain and time consuming to use. For me the propane is much easier to use and the food still tastes great, I haven't gotten around to assembling my Blackstone yet.
Sam

Allen
09-17-2018, 04:15
That roof tar does work great and stays flexible. Most people use silicon but it separates over time and can start leaking again. My dad and I both used to have gardens and grew cantaloupes. We found these to be the best by far. Most people don't know about them though because you don't see them in stores any more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Banana-Melon-RARE-Heirloom-30-Seeds-FREE-SHIPPING-NON-GMO/271376443333?hash=item3f2f4be7c5:g:JK0AAMXQVT9S2ta-

S.A. Boggs
09-17-2018, 11:47
To continue the "rustic" look I am reusing otherwise discarded wood. My family and I have scrounged close to 100 wood pallets that we are taking apart with power tool. I have a neat air gun that shoots the cut nails out into a bin. Tomorrow I am going to look at shipping pallets made out of 1" white oak that are wired together. The wood is 6" wide by 24" long. I plan on ripping it into 3 section and plan to uniformity for the floors of the conservatory. The pallet wood will be for the walls and some ceiling. The oak shipping crates will be $10.00 each if I take 3 or more. The guy has 25 and I plan on taking all of them as oak flooring is expensive locally. Being retired the cost of my labor is zilch!
Sam

Allen
09-17-2018, 12:02
You may want to check with Craigslist in your area. A lot of places give pallets away.

Also, your cop friends can probably tell you from making their rounds who, in your area, has stacks of pallets and discards them.

bdm
09-17-2018, 12:52
Sir Your home is beautiful my wife loves the surrounding woods around your home

S.A. Boggs
09-18-2018, 04:47
Sir Your home is beautiful my wife loves the surrounding woods around your home

Thanks for the complement, more pics.44262 Ramp plat form pic
Sam

S.A. Boggs
09-18-2018, 04:53
I live in what I consider a quiet and beautiful place with my family and animals. The cat [Tiger] is one of 4 cats that we have in addition to the two dogs, they all get along. I like sitting on the porch early of a morning drinking my coffee and listening to the animals. No need to go on vacation, we are here. Lakes, Ohio River to fish in or just sit idly by and watch the world go along...life is good with God in control of my life.
Sam