PDA

View Full Version : Question on correct stock for Smith-Corona 03-A3

Lenny
09-07-2018, 05:16
Gentlemen:
Just received from Gunbroker Smith-Corona 03-A3 ser. # 4726xxx. Appears to be have been seldom fired. Many parts are incorrect but like new. Also is wearing a Bishop sporter wood stock.
My plan is to return to military configuration. What stock would be acceptable? If and when it was re-arsenaled would incorrect new parts be used? Even a SA J5 bolt? Should leave as is or search for all correct S-C parts? Thanks in advance

98src
09-07-2018, 06:07
It will be a "labor of love" to restore it. All the parts are available. The correct SC stock will be the hardest to find ( and the most expensive ).

IditarodJoe
09-07-2018, 06:33
Lenny - what are the barrel markings behind the front sight? Any idea of the condition of the bore?

Lenny
09-07-2018, 06:36
Barrel is SC 7/43. I looked on vishooter believe that is correct. Bore is 4 groove, I would call excellent. I don't have gauges.

John Beard
09-07-2018, 06:45
Gentlemen:
Just received from Gunbroker Smith-Corona 03-A3 ser. # 4726xxx. Appears to be have been seldom fired. Many parts are incorrect but like new. Also is wearing a Bishop sporter wood stock.
My plan is to return to military configuration. What stock would be acceptable? If and when it was re-arsenaled would incorrect new parts be used? Even a SA J5 bolt? Should leave as is or search for all correct S-C parts? Thanks in advance

Answers are as follows:

(1) The correct stock for your rifle would be pin-reinforced.

(2) Yes.

(3) Yes.

(4) That's a personal decision.

Good Luck!

J.B.

Lenny
09-07-2018, 06:59
Thanks for the info Mr. Beard. Your expertise is nothing short of incredible!

Merc
09-08-2018, 02:25
eBay is the source I used for NOS parts for my 03-A3. A nice pinned stock might take a while to show up.

Lenny
09-08-2018, 03:58
Thank you Sir

Merc
09-09-2018, 05:37
A pinned stock for your SC is on eBay under “03-A3 Stocks” right now. Current bid is $75 with 9 days to go. There’s a piece of wood missing from the area near the butt plate. Otherwise, it appears to be in nice shape. You’ll see several others as well.

www.trfindley.com

The above guy in GA is a stock refinisher. Perhaps he can repair the damaged area. He also has some information on 03-A3 stocks. Go to his site and click on “Link to stock restoration” and then click on “Link to M1903 stock identification guide.”

You didn’t say if your rifle was blued or parkerized. Mine was parkerized and some of the parts I bought on eBay (barrel band, butt plate and extractor) were bare or blued. I sent them to East Coast Bluing to be parkerized so they would match the rest of the rifle and they did a nice job for a fair price. They blued some parts for my M1917 that also turned out well.

Rick the Librarian
09-13-2018, 11:32
TR Findley also provided "restored" markings on stocks - I wouldn't recommend him.

togor
09-14-2018, 08:13
I have a pinned A3 stock that I'll never use. Boxed FJA with crossed cannons near the cutoff, some wear but both clearly visible. "OG EK" rebuild mark on it further back, and a boxed OG on the left side of the wrist. A few scuffs on it but overall a nice looking stock.

Only metal is the rear band retainer. You'd need a bushing for the rear guard screw as I commandeered the original for a different project. No buttplate either. Possibly a hint of a hairline crack just staring behind the receiver. But you need sharp eyes to see it. I don't know if you're looking for a pretty stock or a sturdy one or both. But there's a reason they went back to bolts.

PM if interested. Can provide photos. This is a piece of wood that could use the right home. Not going to ask an arm and a leg for it either.

Merc
09-15-2018, 08:16
Rick is correct concerning the stamps. However, I’m sure Findley would comply with any advance instructions to only repair the damage and stay away from the original stamping. Or, you could pass on this one and keep looking, or explore togor’s stock.

Rick the Librarian
09-16-2018, 06:28
Rick is correct concerning the stamps. However, I’m sure Findley would comply with any advance instructions to only repair the damage and stay away from the original stamping. Or, you could pass on this one and keep looking, or explore togor’s stock.

I'm sure you're right, but if it were me, I'd prefer to find someone else to do the stock without the ethical "baggage". JMHO

Sunray
09-17-2018, 10:08
TR Findley also provided money to the people who want to take your firearms away from you by selling on E-Bay.
"...My plan is to..." Start by measuring the barrel length(should be 24"). If it was cut, it's really not worth restoring that one due to the cost. Said cost is going to be high anyway. The days of cheap milsurp parts being easy to find are long gone. And an SC barrel can have 6 grooves, made by either High Standard or Savage, or 4 or 2 depending on when it was made and subsequent rebuilds. Anyway, decide how much money you want to spend first.
http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-74725.html