PDA

View Full Version : NFL is doomed

togor
10-07-2018, 05:20
And this has nothing to do with politics during the national anthem.

The NFL is doomed because games now turn on the arbitrary decisions of officials. Check out the video below, which the NFL puts out every week to help people understand how rules are enforced. The overall impression? They're making it up as they go.

https://twitter.com/NFLOfficiating/status/1048320630326616064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1048320630326616064&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fslate.com%2Fculture%2F2018%2 F10%2Fbrowns-raiders-mistake-nfl-admits-it-messed-up-fumble-call.html

If there is one thing that fans hate it is games decided by refs. The head/neck thing, which is real, now means that football isn't football anymore.

Not that anyone here cares about the NFL, but some watch college FB with similar rules now. Picture this....championship game, 4th and goal, guy catches a pass in the flat at the 5 yard line and has two defenders waiting for him at the goal line. He gets low, leans forward and knifes his way between the defenders for the winning score. Touchdown! The home crowd goes wild! Wait...what? The official throws a flag for unnecessary roughness on the ball carrier for lowering his helmet prior to initiating contact. Doomed I say....doomed.

clintonhater
10-07-2018, 06:14
Hope to God you're right, but as long as big advertisers like Nike & Coke are willing to pour out millions to TV broadcasters, actual ticket sales don't much matter. But if this does happen, many beautiful blonde bimbos will be forced back on the street.

Vern Humphrey
10-07-2018, 06:39
Yes, they are supported by advertisers who don't care about the flag or national anthem. And that's why I don't buy their products.

Mark in Ottawa
10-07-2018, 07:31
I know that this will offend a lot of sports fans but the bigger question is "Why do we bother to watch professional sports at all?". At one time sports teams represented your school or perhaps your town and were mostly or totally made up of people from your school or town and you could have some emotional attachment to the team. That has not been the case for many many decades. The players are all professionals and in some odd way, we are expected to love the players who are on our home team and then hate them if they get traded. The logic of the emotional attachment to a player is therefore missing completely. In any case, given that I am a retiree on a modest pension why should I have an emotional attachment to a millionaire athlete who is employed by a billionaire owner who is part of a monopoly owned by a lot of billionaires? At best, we are talking about "athletic entertainment" and not "sports". Sports are played by amateurs for fun. The NFL, the NHL and the NBA are all just big entertainment businesses and I have never been able to care about any of them.

clintonhater
10-07-2018, 07:40
Sports are played by amateurs for fun.

Like the Olympics once were, 50-60 yrs ago.

Roadkingtrax
10-07-2018, 07:52
Like the Olympics once were, 50-60 yrs ago.

You know this is still true, the few athletes with fistfuls of medals and clothing sponsors are an extreme exception.

The US Olympic Committee is no different than any other bureaucracy. Serving itself.

S.A. Boggs
10-07-2018, 08:49
I know that this will offend a lot of sports fans but the bigger question is "Why do we bother to watch professional sports at all?". At one time sports teams represented your school or perhaps your town and were mostly or totally made up of people from your school or town and you could have some emotional attachment to the team. That has not been the case for many many decades. The players are all professionals and in some odd way, we are expected to love the players who are on our home team and then hate them if they get traded. The logic of the emotional attachment to a player is therefore missing completely. In any case, given that I am a retiree on a modest pension why should I have an emotional attachment to a millionaire athlete who is employed by a billionaire owner who is part of a monopoly owned by a lot of billionaires? At best, we are talking about "athletic entertainment" and not "sports". Sports are played by amateurs for fun. The NFL, the NHL and the NBA are all just big entertainment businesses and I have never been able to care about any of them.

Does the term "gladiator" strike a cord?
Sam

Allen
10-07-2018, 08:58
"Why do we bother to watch professional sports at all?"

This is what I have always said. Using college football as an example. I enjoy watching it and yes I have my favorites. For the most part there are no politics. There is school rivalry, school spirit and the desire to win. The big prize is to be better than everyone else and get that multi million dollar NFL position.

Pro ball is just a job. There is none of the above. Some players try to stay good enough to be considered for trading but if they are kicked off the team then "big deal", they're probably got millions to sit on by then and never have to work again.

No one had any desire to watch us while we worked our previous jobs, I don't see pro-ball games being much if any different.

Auto and horse racing has some distinction in that there may be more desire to win but as a typical job the non-winners get paid too no matter what so these events too are "just a job".

togor
10-07-2018, 09:14
NCAA? As bad as any of them.

Sunray
10-07-2018, 09:15
Gun Talk?
The NFL and all the rest of the so called professional "athletes" are arrested adolescents who play children's games for millions of dollars. Costs over $100 to see a game. That's what will doom the NFL. Nobody will pay to go to the games.

Sandpebble
10-07-2018, 12:52
Pro Sports ... millionaires helping billionaires make more money ... and let's not forget the common stockholders who enjoy the fruits of their investments .

Well that's as American as baseball and apple pie .

Personally I have never watched a pro sports game of any kind since the millionaire baseball players went on strike demanding medical benefits .....

dave
10-07-2018, 01:49

Like when someone asks me 'who won the game last nite', I give my stock answer, "Who gives a sh*t?".

leftyo
10-07-2018, 02:01
havent watched too much in the last year or two, but play calling affecting the outcome of a game has been going on since before i was born. it is nothing new in the nfl.

Roadkingtrax
10-07-2018, 02:28
Togor, your GB Packers didnt rise up to my Lions today. :)

togor
10-07-2018, 02:49
Togor, your GB Packers didnt rise up to my Lions today. :)

It's true. GB is such a fish bowl that they form over-inflated opinions of their own players. Then the regular season brings a healthy dose of reality. Self-admitted Lion's fan? I applaud your courage, sir.

Last season I flew to Europe for work on SB Sunday. The plane was only about 2/3 full so it was like flying international in the old days when you could spread out a little. I guess I missed an entertaining game but it was worth it for the flight.

Major Tom
10-08-2018, 04:05
NFL should be named "National Kneelers Society".

Allen
10-08-2018, 05:01
NFL should be named "National Kneelers Society".

And it is noted for what men on their knee's do.

Clark Howard
10-08-2018, 05:27
The NFL is following NASCAR down the road to oblivion. Both have neglected their ardent fans in favor of the TV sponsors. As those fans age out, young fans are not interested in following the sport. Regards, Clark

Herschel
10-08-2018, 08:11
My first thought of what men do on their knees do was to pray. That made no sense then I realized you probably meant something else.

Allen
10-08-2018, 10:23
My first thought of what men do on their knees do was to pray. That made no sense then I realized you probably meant something else.

I think you can disregard praying among this group.

Allen
10-08-2018, 10:46
The NFL is following NASCAR down the road to oblivion. Both have neglected their ardent fans in favor of the TV sponsors. As those fans age out, young fans are not interested in following the sport. Regards, Clark

At least the NASCAR bunch still pray, stand, sing the National Anthem, salute and even have AF flyovers. I think what is hurting auto racing so much are all the rules. It used to be that NASCAR raced what we drove except for added safety modifications. A lot of safety features in vehicles we have now came from experiences in racing. Now, they drive cars made from the ground up as racers. The cars do not have doors but all resemble 2 door coupes (which do not exist in the real world). The same can be said about all of them being rear wheel drive. Except for the Mustangs and Camaro's the cars are 1987 Ford Thunderbird styling with the tail and nose cones changed to look like current cars (these aren't my words either). I have read where the engines must be push rod engines limited to 368CI, so they are and none of them are available to the public. There is really no difference between them now except for the names. It's like fantasy racing. Then there are the restrictor plates. Cars actually run slower now than they did in the 60's and 70's. A big turn off for me was when Toyota was allowed into the scene. At least Dodge pulled out. Say what you wish but these 2 aren't American companies. If NASCAR followed the same guidelines they did in the past the drivers would all be driving tiny little golf cart looking cars. They would all be FWD and have little dinky engines blowing head gaskets as they tried to drive them at full throttle. Here again, if they had to drive the same krap that the public has to buy then improvements would come about.

kj47
10-08-2018, 12:25
Not like the good old days when the first 10 or 12 across the finish line were Dodge & Plymouth with Hemis. Miss them good ole days.

leftyo
10-08-2018, 12:34
nascar is a total waste of time these days.

JOHN COOK
10-09-2018, 03:57
I quit watching when they started all this BS about Stage 1, Stage 2 etc... and getting points on each stage. In my opinion if you have a 500 mile race, start and run 500 miles and eliminate this stage crap. Then again, there might not be many drivers out there that could go 500 miles
My 2 cents..

john ...

Allen
10-09-2018, 05:29
I quit watching when they started all this BS about Stage 1, Stage 2 etc... and getting points on each stage.

Before that it was called "The Chase". I was watching a race the other day and they called a caution. I'm waiting to see what happened--everyone was pulling into the pit. It turned out to be something else they decided to make up called "a courtesy caution" so the drivers could pit, gas up and get their tires changed, as if they couldn't do it during one of the other actual cautions. Crazy rules. You would almost have to be a brain surgeon to keep up with everything. They're getting further and further away from driving and racing. Like all pro sports it has become a business to sell endorsements, advertisements and ticket sales. But... they aren't kneeling.

If it wasn't for having a DVR where I can record programs and FF through all the countless commercials and BS I wouldn't watch much of anything.

Sunray
10-11-2018, 10:35
"...NASCAR is a total waste of time these days..." Watching cars go around in a circle has always been a waste of time. Wasting time is kind of the purpose of watch car races though.

gwp
10-11-2018, 01:39
I quit watching when they started all this BS about Stage 1, Stage 2 etc... and getting points on each stage. In my opinion if you have a 500 mile race, start and run 500 miles and eliminate this stage crap. Then again, there might not be many drivers out there that could go 500 miles
My 2 cents..

john ...

One year the tire compound was wrong at the Brickyard 400 and the tires were wearing much faster than they expected. It was too late to get different tires so NASCAR decided to call lots of yellows. I was on a IMS Track Rescue trash truck and many yellow flags were thrown for "trash" on the track. If we cut through the infield to get back to our post, we might not be back before we were call out for the next yellow.

Major Tom
10-13-2018, 01:09
The talk about Nascar can also be said about NHRA drag racing; the "pro" classes, top fuel, funny car and pro stock.

togor
10-13-2018, 05:34
"...NASCAR is a total waste of time these days..." Watching cars go around in a circle has always been a waste of time. Wasting time is kind of the purpose of watch car races though.

Must-watch vid for you, Sunray.

https://youtu.be/bG2OcW_Hwkg