PDA

View Full Version : Went into a well stocked gun shop.......

Jiminvirginia
10-09-2018, 07:55
And nothing caught my eye. I'm kind of looking for another bolt gun but the racks are full of plastic stocked no iron sights stuff. Despite the plethora of good basic quality bolt guns it seems like there is not much out there.

togor
10-09-2018, 07:58
Application?

leftyo
10-09-2018, 08:10
And nothing caught my eye. I'm kind of looking for another bolt gun but the racks are full of plastic stocked no iron sights stuff. Despite the plethora of good basic quality bolt guns it seems like there is not much out there.

wood stocks and iron sights are getting to be a rarity. almost have to look into something like a dakota to get them features.

blackhawknj
10-09-2018, 09:25
Those who have them, keep them. Plus I think they don't stay on the shelves long.

Merc
10-10-2018, 03:48
New or used?

mike webb
10-10-2018, 05:48
Like Blackhawk said, they don't hang around long. I lucked out a month ago at a local gun shop. They had a rifle advertised as a Browning BBR in .243. These were a rather clubby affair made for Browning at Miroku in Japan. Priced at $399 with good steel rings and mounts and Bausch and Lomb 3-9x scope. I looked at the bolt profile and it screamed Sako intermediate length action. I bought it, no haggling(the scope is excellent and worth $150 by itself. Turns out it is a Browning Safari Grade made in 1965 at Liege, Belgium(FN). They sold these for pretty stiff prices back then and as FN didn't make a short action all the metal came from Sako, Finland and the Belgians stocked it in pretty California Claro walnut. Bore is mint and these were called "pencil Brownings" due to the tiny barrel diameter. Weighs around 6.5 lbs bare and swings like a bird gun. Can't wait to try it at the range as I have been told accuracy is great as long as you let her cool down between shots. The rifle just went on the shelf the morning I saw it and wouldn't last for sure. Actually was offered $1200 last week and declined.

barretcreek
10-10-2018, 07:34
Mike,
You lucked out. Found a Safari grade .222 for $600 a few years ago and didn't even think about maybe.

Get on Browning's website and look at their section on how to tell if your stock is salt cured. It is indexed to the prefix on the S/N.

mike webb
10-10-2018, 11:14
Thanks but that is the first thing I checked at the gun shop. The salesman really wasn't fussy about me pulling the action out of the wood but I told him it was no sale otherwise. I have seen a few especially the .22 T bolts(older model) that were absolutely wrecked below the woodline from rust.

Sunray
10-10-2018, 11:51
"...plastic stocked no iron sights..." All the rage with the marketing MBA's these days. Manufacturers rarely put irons on any more either. They know the thing will very likely be scoped and the irons removed. What irons there are are low end things that aren't worth beans anyway.
Wood, nice wood suitable for a rifle stock, is horrendously expensive these days. A black walnut stock blank starts at about $750USD. They can go to a grand or more. And that's just for a seasoned plank. You can pay nearly 2 grand for what amounts to a 2.75" slab of tree.
"...another bolt gun..." Any particular brand, calibre, purpose(Varmint/Deer/?) in mind?

Jiminvirginia
10-10-2018, 07:00
Looking for a target bolt gun in .223/5.56. Double as a varmit gun. The CZ's would fit the bill nicely I think but I never see them in a store. The best in this type is likely the Sauer STR. Alas, not available in the USA and pricey.

S.A. Boggs
10-11-2018, 04:07
I look at Jim's gun shop if I want something, not many gun shops locally.
Sam

Allen
10-11-2018, 04:11
I have more guns than many gun shops. I buy almost exclusively from Gun Broker and Auction Arms. I, like many of you, really need to thin my herd too.

Vern Humphrey
10-11-2018, 08:22
Looking for a target bolt gun in .223/5.56. Double as a varmit gun. The CZ's would fit the bill nicely I think but I never see them in a store. The best in this type is likely the Sauer STR. Alas, not available in the USA and pricey.

Have you tried ordering one through Wal Mart?

Allen
10-11-2018, 10:03
Another option? My brother bought one of these new back in the 70's. Nice gun. I don't know if they still make them but they can be found on Gun Broker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781474467

Liam
10-11-2018, 10:54
Jim - My buddy picked up a CZ bolt gun in 5.56/.223 (Wilde chambered) at the Chantilly, VA Expo Center a few years ago. It's just off Rt. 28 in Chantilly. He has been happily hitting groundhogs out to 350 yards with it. He has an AR variant, but likes the CZ better and has more confidence in it. There is a Nations Gun Show scheduled there for November 16-18. The same seller is always there and always has reasonably-priced CZs. https://www.dullesexpo.com

p246
10-11-2018, 07:07
Mostly entry level stuff in the LGS unless you go to a big box gun store. The last bolt gun I bought I had built. A friend just bought a Remington 700 PCR to compete with in 6.5 CM. Appears to be a good shooter for a factory gun.

JB White
10-11-2018, 08:04

Look at the Savage offerings. If your local Wally World can't get one (As Vern suggests) then your LGS should be able to get one for just a little more. Look at Bud's Guns online. The Savage 110/112 line may not be aesthetically pleasing to the eye but they're known for their accuracy. Out of the box my shooting buddy showed me a 1/2" group out of his Savage 22-250. I thought that was pretty good in itself until he told me his targets were on the 200 yard berm. 1/4moa....out of the box.
****Of course, your mileage may vary.

Jiminvirginia
10-12-2018, 02:15
Did not you could do that. Order firearms through walmart. Will check that out.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at the Savage offerings. If your local Wally World can't get one (As Vern suggests) then your LGS should be able to get one for just a little more. Look at Bud's Guns online. The Savage 110/112 line may not be aesthetically pleasing to the eye but they're known for their accuracy. Out of the box my shooting buddy showed me a 1/2" group out of his Savage 22-250. I thought that was pretty good in itself until he told me his targets were on the 200 yard berm. 1/4moa....out of the box.

I got the savage hog hunter in .308. Thinking about now the .223 version may be what I want. Great rifles and in .223 would be inexpensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Jim - My buddy picked up a CZ bolt gun in 5.56/.223 (Wilde chambered) at the Chantilly, VA Expo Center a few years ago. It's just off Rt. 28 in Chantilly. He has been happily hitting groundhogs out to 350 yards with it. He has an AR variant, but likes the CZ better and has more confidence in it. There is a Nations Gun Show scheduled there for November 16-18. The same seller is always there and always has reasonably-priced CZs. https://www.dullesexpo.com

The CZ look great and get excellent reviews.

Dolt
10-18-2018, 09:15
As an unintended consequence of gun laws in Colorado and nationally, it is more of a hassle to privately sell a gun to someone than to just keep it. I now have an arsenal like I never had before. I used to like to move a few old pieces then buy some new ones. Now I have enough to stock a small guns shop.

barretcreek
10-19-2018, 03:48
As an unintended consequence of gun laws in Colorado and nationally, it is more of a hassle to privately sell a gun to someone than to just keep it. I now have an arsenal like I never had before. I used to like to move a few old pieces then buy some new ones. Now I have enough to stock a small guns shop.

If you think it's a hassle now, wait until Polis is Guv'nuh.

Former Cav
10-29-2018, 07:30
I have a remington varmint bolt 700 rifle for sale.
I have been getting rid of most of my firearms as I am nearing the end of my life and don't want my wife to get screwed over.
I also have a couple of Savage bolt rifles in .243 that are varminters.
email me back channel if interested.

lyman
10-29-2018, 09:07
Jim,

which part of Va are you in?

here in RVA, we have Cabela's, Bass Pro, (you can order online for both) Green Tops , Dance's and a few other smaller shops,

BTW, Hopkins in Mechanicsville is closing, so you may find a deal there (supposedly closing by the end of the year)

Sandpebble
10-29-2018, 02:54

Listen to JB on this...... Savage is the way to go if you want out of the box accuracy . Match winning capability out of the box and they aren't afraid to sell you one with a non lawyer adulterated trigger .

p246
10-29-2018, 06:17
I’m a Remington guy myself but Savage makes some good rifles.