PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shots

togor
10-11-2018, 12:15
Who gets 'em? Who doesn't?

I don't know for certain if they work or not but I get one every year. I remember about ten(?) years ago that new flu went through that no one had immunity to. It made my daughter sick but the rest of the house just felt off for a couple of days. A month after we got over it they were distributing vaccines for it.

S.A. Boggs
10-11-2018, 12:27
Due to my lousy immune system, I am not taking any chances.
Sam

bdm
10-11-2018, 01:03
I have been getting one for as long as i can remember.I never get sick of course i don't drink smoke or do anything bad to my body.lots of fruit and vegetables very little meat

leftyo
10-11-2018, 01:22
dont get them. if you read the side affects, they are the same as the flu.

blackhawknj
10-11-2018, 02:18
Don't bother with them. I've been taking Vitamin C for 20 years, Linus Pauling was right.

JOHN COOK
10-11-2018, 04:23
Would love to see the statistics on the number of deaths of the number of people who took the Flu shot and those that didn't. I have no idea how that could be done , but would be interesting. (maybe CDC). I've had by- surgery, diabetic, and a few other problems and have had the shot for as long as I can remember. From what I have seen, flu will put and older person in a Dirt Nap in a hurry. my 2 cents........ Already had mine...

john

p246
10-11-2018, 06:57
I got one this year. Couldn’t tell any side effects. We will see if it works. First one I ever have gotten.

JB White
10-11-2018, 07:56
A friends father always get them with no problem. My own father had a few in the beginning but stopped because they always made him sick. Both are pushing 90. My friend and I have never had a flu vaccine. Off the record, "those in the know" say don't bother unless we're in a high risk group for the flu. Neither of us are...yet. They can't say that to their regular patients for fear of being sued.
The vaccines are far from perfect as are the CDC's predictions on the matter.

Vern Humphrey
10-12-2018, 07:15
Would love to see the statistics on the number of deaths of the number of people who took the Flu shot and those that didn't. I have no idea how that could be done , but would be interesting. (maybe CDC). I've had by- surgery, diabetic, and a few other problems and have had the shot for as long as I can remember. From what I have seen, flu will put and older person in a Dirt Nap in a hurry. my 2 cents........ Already had mine...

john

Why don't you submit that question to the Center for Disease Control? When I asked, they said the flu shot is 90% effective.

Tuna
10-12-2018, 07:45
I worked in a high risk job because of so much contact with people. Twice I contacted the flu and lost between 10 days and two weeks at a time flat on my back in bed. Since then when the shots have become available I get the shot and have not gotten a case of the flu since then. Even now that I am retired I still get the shot if for the fact that having been sick in the past and knowing what I went through it was no fun what so ever and at my age I doubt I could recover well if at all. It's cheap insurance to help prevent it and if you still get it the flu will not be as bad as it could have been.

Sunray
10-12-2018, 09:22
Stay away from children, people who have or work with children, public transit plus other public sources of disease, eat right(that's not just rabbit food either. It's a balanced diet.) and you won't get sick. It's being in contact with the assorted disease carriers like children that makes you ill.
Never had a flu shot and don't get sick.

PWC
10-12-2018, 08:14
USAF made me take one at least every year plus many other shots for "world wide mobility". Sometimes worked, sometimes not. This years shot is to fix last years flu, not what it has mutated into. I'm 74, got my shingles shot, I'll probably get the pneumonia shot, bu not the flu.

Also follow what Sunray says.

PaFrank
10-13-2018, 05:46
Been getting them every year for about the last 20 years... never had anything more than a sore arm for a couple days and never go the flu since..

M1Tommy
10-14-2018, 02:08
I have medically sensitive family, and my work place requires it.
The only time I recall getting the flu was a year when I didn't take the vaccination. I wouldn't with that on anyone.

Tommy

blackhawknj
10-14-2018, 02:47
Last time I had the flu was in the Army, 50 years ago. I attribute that to overcrowded living conditions, lack of proper rest, no sympathy. Again, 20 years of Vitamin C. We had a cold winter here a few years ago, I drove people crazy by cycling to work . I have missed only one work day in over 10 years.

Vern Humphrey
10-14-2018, 03:05
The advice about staying away from children is good -- but how do parents and grand-parents manage that?

Dolt
10-24-2018, 02:36
Minimize contact with crowds, wash your hands and don't touch your face with your hands. Started doing this when I was working in the medical field as a volunteer and my incidence of colds, flu and other ailments went down DRAMATICALLY.

barretcreek
10-24-2018, 03:45
Do not dine out, cut back on alcohol and caffeine, stay hydrated.

bruce
10-24-2018, 09:23
Have not done flu shot ever. Have however taken wise steps to stay healthy. I drink plenty of coffee every morning and at least one diet Coke in the afternoon. I eat healthy ... plenty of grits and eggs, biscuits, bacon, etc. I limit sweets ...no more than one or two party size bags of M&M's a week. No more than a bag or two of waffle cut potato chips. Generally walk or jog at least 7 miles a day. Sometimes hit over 8 miles. Sleep a minimum of 5-6 hours a night. Try not to get to sleep or wake up in any predictable pattern less my body get used to a regular routine. Figure this sort of healthy living will see me at least to 90 years of age. After that, I'm not going to do as I please! Sincerely. bruce.

Darreld Walton
10-25-2018, 02:52
I end up in bed with flu symptoms every time I was forced to get the shot. Every time. Lost work, the whole shebang. No thanks.

Dan Shapiro
10-25-2018, 07:33
I end up in bed with flu symptoms every time I was forced to get the shot. Every time. Lost work, the whole shebang. No thanks.

Same here.

Allen
10-25-2018, 07:55

Same here.

Same here too. When I was working at the refinery we had a scheduled shutdown approaching. This was during the winter months when flu's are most common. I knew that I would be dealing with about 300+ contractors doing various task. These people are not salaried and will work while sick in order to make a paycheck. At the time there were all kinds of flu's going around like "swine flu", "bird flu" maybe others. The refinery was giving out free flu shots and encouraged everyone especially those of us who worked to get vaccinated. I had never had a flu shot before but figured I needed to before confronting strangers who may be infected. The administrator gave me 2 shots at once. One for one of the specialty type flu's and one for the most common flu at the time. I spent 2 weeks sick as a dog with a fever having to work the shutdown dealing with climbing, heavy lifting, dealing with the 300 contractors and having to keep a clear mind for providing a safe environment including clearing work permits. Obviously I will never get another flu shot again.

To me this was like getting a dose of rattlesnake venom instead of the antidote. Best to just take your chances on getting bit rather than being sick already from it.

S.A. Boggs
10-27-2018, 01:06
@ the clinic, due to our cliental, we were schooled constantly on infectious diseases. If I had a client who coughed I gave them an issued face mask that the clinic provided. If they didn't wear them, I didn't transport. We were taught to sing "Happy Birthday" while washing our hands, by the time we got thru the song enough time had passed to wash our hands. I always carried hand sanitizer and still do in all of our vehicles. Another thing is that I wear gloves as flu is a rhino virus, so I keep my hands away from my face as much as possible. If I need to scratch, I take off a glove. Having a weakened immune system I have to be extra careful.
Sam

dryheat
10-27-2018, 03:46
Nothing scientific, but I think I had a reaction to the flu shot. The day after, there was this sinus thing that went up my nose and then affected my eyes. One eyelid seems to run out of lubricant and was dragging on the cornea. Then, oddly, the top of my head started to itch...a lot. I looked up Gillian-Barr. I scared myself a little with that. In a day or so it all cleared up.

Major Tom
10-28-2018, 05:59
Flu shot....NO! Pneumonia shot....YES.

jon_norstog
10-28-2018, 04:55
My approach to strengthening my immune system was to get sick and recover. Since my wife moved back in with me she insists on flu shots. WTF, anything to keep the peace. I was healthy before, I'm still healthy. No harm, no foul.

jn

JB White
10-29-2018, 08:04
Bad day today. A good friend of mine, one of my best friends, called me today very very sick. Needed me to take her to the doc. Unfortunately I was many miles away and it wasn't practical. I called one of her relatives living nearer to her to do a wellness check. 15 minutes later I got a return call telling me they called an ambulance.
Broke away when I could and drove an hour+ to the hospital.

Severe abdominal cramping. Fluctuating fever to the point of being somewhat delirious. Uncontrolled diarrhea and constant vomiting. It started 24 hours after getting a flu shot.
Once they heard 'flu shot' they suddenly knew how to treat her although they wouldn't admit it was the shot which caused the problems. Released her shortly afterward. Cause 'unknown'.
Talked with her cousin who is an RN at a different hospital, and a couple of paramedics I know who aren't worried about losing their jobs. RN says it has been pretty common this year. Paramedics told me they're making several runs per week for the same thing. Yet those in control, while not denying it, are side stepping the "flu shot" issue all together. Will not use those words at all.

I just returned home from her house and she's uncomfortable but doing much better.

lyman
10-30-2018, 07:33
when they were free at work (retail) I got them
have not had one this year, yet,

I get a cold or sinus type infection a couple times a year, or less,

of course, the flu shots are really tracking devices, controlled by the deep state, and you are tracked via the contrails in the sky,

yall know that, right???:eusa_liar:

M1Tommy
10-30-2018, 07:52
when they were free at work (retail) I got them
have not had one this year, yet,

I get a cold or sinus type infection a couple times a year, or less,

of course, the flu shots are really tracking devices, controlled by the deep state, and you are tracked via the contrails in the sky,

yall know that, right???:eusa_liar:

Umm, well... now that your post was tracked to your location.........

Allen
10-30-2018, 08:15
Perhaps this is next. An expensive way to control the flu virus though.

togor
10-30-2018, 10:14
Hope your friend is OK, JB. My wife gets flu shots and a lot of years she gets some kind of reaction for a day. This year, nothing. Meanwhile I normally have no reaction, and for about 18 hours afterwards, I wondered if I was coming down with something, then....fine. So it goes to show something, not sure what. Maybe it depends on whether the nano bots in syringe get a good WiFi or LTE signal for their uplink to the mothership.

gwp
10-30-2018, 11:23
Talked with her cousin who is an RN at a different hospital, and a couple of paramedics I know who aren't worried about losing their jobs. RN says it has been pretty common this year. Paramedics told me they're making several runs per week for the same thing. Yet those in control, while not denying it, are side stepping the "flu shot" issue all together. Will not use those words at all.
Was your friend given the over 65 high dose flu shot?

Fluzone High-Dose is licensed specifically for people 65 years and older. Fluzone High-Dose contains four times the antigen (the part of the vaccine that helps your body build up protection against flu viruses) of standard-dose inactivated influenza vaccines. The higher dose of antigen in the vaccine is intended to give older people a better immune response, and therefore, better protection against flu.

JB White
10-30-2018, 07:49
Was your friend given the over 65 high dose flu shot?

Fluzone High-Dose is licensed specifically for people 65 years and older. Fluzone High-Dose contains four times the antigen (the part of the vaccine that helps your body build up protection against flu viruses) of standard-dose inactivated influenza vaccines. The higher dose of antigen in the vaccine is intended to give older people a better immune response, and therefore, better protection against flu.

I don't know which shot she was given. 58 years old. 5'7" tall. 120 lbs. but she's had some medical problems in the past and considered 'at risk'.... if that's any indication?

- - - Updated - - -

Hope your friend is OK, JB. My wife gets flu shots and a lot of years she gets some kind of reaction for a day. This year, nothing. Meanwhile I normally have no reaction, and for about 18 hours afterwards, I wondered if I was coming down with something, then....fine. So it goes to show something, not sure what. Maybe it depends on whether the nano bots in syringe get a good WiFi or LTE signal for their uplink to the mothership.

I checked in on her today. Feeling down but doing much better. Plans to go to work in the morning. She's an ex-GF but still a friend and I still worry about her.