PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Kydex cheek rest

Liam
10-24-2018, 09:18
I have taken dozens upon dozens of groundhogs over the years using a Winchester Coyote in .22-250 using a $100 24x target scope. I have to say, not always easy. The platform is not conducive to getting on target after spotting with binoculars. The field of view on a 24x is tiny. NOT the best varmint scope, so I have moved up to a Mueller 6-18x scope I feel will perform better. One of the bad things about the previous 24x scope was that the objective lens was large so the scope sat up high. Never got a consistent steady cheek weld. Since I was investing in a better scope I decided to amend the cheek weld issue since this new scope was mounted equally as high as the old one. I found a guy who makes Kydex knife sheaths and cheek rests. I have installed the rest with very little effort and cannot wait to take the rifle afield to zero the new scope. I adjusted the rest as best I could to fit me, but I expect some tweaking in the field will be necessary. The rest is far enough back on my rifle to allow the bolt to be put on and taken off. I suspect, however, that the rest will interfere with cleaning from the breach. I will make permanent marks in the rest once I determine the final position. That way, I can return the rest to the same position after cleaning. Anyway, I like the look, I hope for increased accuracy and improved hunting results. If interested, I have included the man's business card and website link.

Vern Humphrey
10-24-2018, 09:57
Thanks -- I'll check him out.

barretcreek
10-24-2018, 03:50
Nice machinist's chest. Commercial or did you make it?

Liam
10-24-2018, 04:16
The wooden one? A nice gift from my mother-in-law. Not solid wood. COSTCO, I think but still nice for small parts, etc.

Liam
11-01-2018, 07:51
Follow-up...Two inches high at 100 yards, right where I like it. Sub-MOA group. I think the cheek rest makes a difference.