PDA

View Full Version : Rainy day loading.

nf1e
11-06-2018, 08:10
Lousy day out today so I am running 3-100 rnd batches of ammo in DAG Berdan brass.

Setting primers with hand primer is always fun.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_2222_zpsevtvcbyw.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_2222_zpsevtvcbyw.jpg.html)

First hundred rnd batch was with Varget. Forgot to photo that one. Starting next batch with 4064 and then I will finish up with one using 4895 all using cusome 136 gr FB .308 bullets.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_2225_zpsjjy6p1ig.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_2225_zpsjjy6p1ig.jpg.html)

PWC
11-06-2018, 02:16
Let's hear it for the single stage press! Sometimes I think the single stage folks get lost in the progressive press (ka-ching....ka-ching.....plunk) discussions. I use a Pacific C press from the 40's.

nf1e
11-06-2018, 03:22
Let's hear it for the single stage press! Sometimes I think the single stage folks get lost in the progressive press (ka-ching....ka-ching.....plunk) discussions. I use a Pacific C press from the 40's.

Rgr that. Been using that Rocker for over 50 years and can't seem to break the habit. Those new fangled contraptions are fine for pistol and generic ammo, but forget about it for precision fodder. Just my opinion of coarse, but I do load and shoot between 5 and 10K of rifle rnds per year with my single stages. Tried the others but ended up stinko with stupid run out and sds in the double digits. Besides, I love loading the way I do it. Very relaxing and I get to think about the next range session and what I want to accomplish. And that's that, the way I see it. Let others cram and jamb to their little hearts content if that blows their skirts up.

Major Tom
11-06-2018, 05:44
How do you like the Tulammo primers? Never seen them before.

nf1e
11-07-2018, 02:05
How do you like the Tulammo primers? Never seen them before.

They are great. Just can't find more. Berdan primers are hard to come by. I was fortunate in that I had 10k on the side when importing them was banned. Enough left for a time but sure would like to find another supply.
I have found nothing better for precision rifle loading. Beats the crap out of any boxer brass primer combination I have found.

lyman
11-07-2018, 06:48

I do have a Dillon 550 and SDB, but I mostly use a Forster Co-Ax from the late 50's, (I've only had it since about 1994)

I have an old CH O frame (cast Iron) and a Texan C press, made of cast Aluminum, that I also use often

barretcreek
11-07-2018, 07:03
Haven't really gotten my procedures down yet, but I am starting to use the 650 to process brass rather than load. Deprime a bathtub full. Tumble or ultrasound, then inspect. Will be getting those Sheridan gauges for checking sized cases. Trim and then load. Each step by the batch as opposed to continuous load from fired to ready to shoot.

Thank you for posting the information on the Sheridan gauges. That was a game changer for me.

nf1e
11-07-2018, 08:21
Haven't really gotten my procedures down yet, but I am starting to use the 650 to process brass rather than load. Deprime a bathtub full. Tumble or ultrasound, then inspect. Will be getting those Sheridan gauges for checking sized cases. Trim and then load. Each step by the batch as opposed to continuous load from fired to ready to shoot.

Thank you for posting the information on the Sheridan gauges. That was a game changer for me.

You are welcome Sir. Another fine tool I use in conjunction with the Sheridan is a Redding SB body die. When I find loaded ammo that won't pass the Sheridan test I simple run the loaded ammo through the body die for instant repair. Works for me.

barretcreek
11-08-2018, 08:13
Yes, I use RCBS small base FL dies for my '06 brass, and Forster 7.62 NM dies. Probably buy Redding for the .223.

PWC
11-08-2018, 09:11
Nf1e...."cram and jam".....I like that.