PDA

View Full Version : Home school

barretcreek
11-06-2018, 09:15
https://twitter.com/hashtag/SundayMorning?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm %5E1059050466863206400&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Face.mu.nu%2F

SloopJohnB
11-06-2018, 09:23
Sweet!

Major Tom
11-06-2018, 05:37
In my area, home schooling requiers the parent or such to pass requierments set by the State school board. But, in actual practice, it just lets the kids run free whenever they want. Plus, imho, there is no social action between other students. Welfare humanoids love it!

Vern Humphrey
11-06-2018, 06:26
There is no reason we can't have a system of internet-delivered education. It would cost about $500,000 for a 3-hour or equivalent course (taught three times a week for half a year.) But if you have a million kids taking it, that's $0.50 per student -- and next year, it's all paid for! Invest a little in maintenance, and the course will provide info on it's own performance, and tell you why a given lesson is not up to snuff -- so the course will keep getting better and better.

And it will keep track of each student's performance and so on.

We have the power to create the best education system in the world -- and we have failed to use it.

barretcreek
11-07-2018, 06:48
Okay, needs a little tweak.

Scroll down and see the video of Mama Bear and Baby Bear traversing the snowfield. Didn't realize this would tie into his entire twitter feed.

Enjoy.

JB White
11-07-2018, 07:24
For the sake of conversation, I have personally witnessed failures in this technologically advanced system already.

There is no reason we can't have a system of internet-delivered education.

In a word, cheating. There are far too many who never look at the computer but are getting certifications and awards for achievements who are in fact uncertifiable. Whether laziness prompts them to seek others to take classes for them, people who want to see them do well and choose to do it for them, and probably a combination of both, it happens all the time.
Within the organizations I serve as a board member, certain requirements were dropped allowing for online education and training as a cost saving measure and as a means to make it easier for more people to be able to step up to the plate. Leadership qualities have been taking a nose dive among board members for a decade. Due mostly in part to ignorance and lack of comprehension. Things which could have been corrected in a classroom environment.
I could easily write an entire pam encapsulating my observations, but forums aren't the place for long winded diatribes.

Vern Humphrey
11-07-2018, 08:04
For the sake of conversation, I have personally witnessed failures in this technologically advanced system already.

In a word, cheating. There are far too many who never look at the computer but are getting certifications and awards for achievements who are in fact uncertifiable. Whether laziness prompts them to seek others to take classes for them, people who want to see them do well and choose to do it for them, and probably a combination of both, it happens all the time.
Within the organizations I serve as a board member, certain requirements were dropped allowing for online education and training as a cost saving measure and as a means to make it easier for more people to be able to step up to the plate. Leadership qualities have been taking a nose dive among board members for a decade. Due mostly in part to ignorance and lack of comprehension. Things which could have been corrected in a classroom environment.
I could easily write an entire pam encapsulating my observations, but forums aren't the place for long winded diatribes.

I can show you thousands with high school diplomas who cannot even READ -- and they were "taught" by the traditional method.

Some time ago, California introduced a high school graduation test. They ran the test for five years with no penalty in order to get teachers used to it. They released the test questions after every iteration. When the test went live, an astounding number of students failed. The internet was full of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth -- "Oh, those poor children. They did all the work and now they don't get a diploma!"

So I downloaded the released test questions. To pass the math portion you had to identify +, -. =, multiplication and division symbols, infinity and the square root symbol. That's it. You didn't have to add 2+2. And they were failing! And they were taught by the conventional classroom method.