PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of cleaning brass

tonybt99
11-10-2018, 06:22
Haven't loaded much for a number of years since I drifted away from service rifle shooting. Wanted to load some 30.06 brass and used Rouge media for cleaning. That's what I had and don't remember when and where or why I bought this type. Always used the plain walnut media. Problem is that the rouge media left a red residue inside the case. Question is I'm a bit leary about reloading them. Will this residue affect the powder, and should I reclean them to be on the safe side? TIA

PWC
11-10-2018, 08:13
I'm unfamiliar with rouge, but I know it was big 10-15 yrs ago. Is it water soluable or does it require paint thinner? If I was uncomfortable I'd clean them: immerse, agitate, dry and retumble with new media.

lyman
11-12-2018, 06:40
I had some treated media I had picked up in an estate,

don't remember the brand, but it was corn cob with a green color,

the dust left a green haze on the inside of my tumbler, and just a bit on the inside of the brass,

and I used a little brass polish (Dillon brand) in the media and a dryer sheet (that was green when done)

loaded and shot fine, no worries, but I did toss the media out in the woods afterwards,

Sunray
11-12-2018, 10:19
Is Rouge media jeweller's rouge? No mention of it anywhere on-line. However, Lyman sells their Tufnut that has rouge added as polish. Polish of any kind being unnecessary. It won't bother the powder no matter what it is though.

tonybt99
11-14-2018, 01:16
Just an update to my thread about cleaning brass. The media I used was Lyman and was rouge (red) in color. Rouge is marked on the side of the box. In a previous thread further down by Hivelocity about cleaning brass I gave a try to lizard bedding of fine crushed walnut. Retumbled my brass and it removed probably ninety percent of the red residue from inside of my casings. Thanks to all who replied, and apology's for not providing enough info on the media. A young assistant at Petco who helped find the lizard bedding asked me what species of lizard I had. Replied I didn't own a lizard. I then told her what I was using it for we both had a good laugh.