PDA

View Full Version : Government Scientists & Engineers Do Something Right

togor
11-26-2018, 03:05
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/26/world/nasa-insight-mars-landing-today/index.html

These successful Mars landings are always exciting for me, and the NASA/JPL people have an outstanding track record. American ingenuity can still get it done.

JOHN COOK
11-26-2018, 03:24
[QUOTE][/American ingenuity can still get it done.QUOTE]

But we still can't learn how to count votes.

john

lyman
11-26-2018, 05:53
[QUOTE][/American ingenuity can still get it done.QUOTE]

But we still can't learn how to count votes.

john

sadly true,,,

and wondering if Marvin approved?

https://hogewash.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/curiosity_marvin-004.jpg

JB White
11-26-2018, 06:00
...seven minutes of terror......InSight slowed from 12,300 mph to 5 mph before it gently landed.....

Anybody care to figure the deceleration rate? I'm afraid it might detach my retinas.

bruce
11-26-2018, 06:16
With respect, so what? Other than a colossal waste of money ... what exactly and precisely does it do for Mr. and Mrs. America? Sincerely. bruce.

Roadkingtrax
11-26-2018, 06:18
I think we've discovered there is no God on Mars either? :)

togor
11-26-2018, 06:24
How is it Bruce that scientists can stare at creation with wide-eyed wonder while the cleric says "nothing to see there"? Someone chose the lesser portion.

JB White
11-26-2018, 06:29
With respect, so what? Other than a colossal waste of money ... what exactly and precisely does it do for Mr. and Mrs. America? Sincerely. bruce.

Don't fret It. By the time the benefits of these missions filter down to street level our old bones will be dust.

I think we've discovered there is no God on Mars either? :)

God created our universe. Nobody ever said he lived in it.

blackhawknj
11-26-2018, 07:00
I've never heard a cleric say "nothing to see there" ? And it's the scientists who always claim they can explain it all for you.

Roadkingtrax
11-26-2018, 07:23
Don't fret It. By the time the benefits of these missions filter down to street level our old bones will be dust.

God created our universe. Nobody ever said he lived in it.

I'd take the rover's word for it. :) They've seen more than the rest of us.

JB White
11-26-2018, 07:45
I've never heard a cleric say "nothing to see there" ? And it's the scientists who always claim they can explain it all for you.

Scientists. Always telling us the cold hard facts about space until they read someone elses latest and greatest paper. Then it's all different until next time.

Clerics. A Pastor walks into the church on Monday morning and finds two little boys snooping around.
"What are you boys doing here today?"
"We skipped school to look for Jesus"
"Sorry lads, but Jesus isn't here today. Now, back to school you go"
One turns to the other and says "I told you he only comes to church on Sunday"

- - - Updated - - -

I'd take the rover's word for it. :) They've seen more than the rest of us.

Did you ever notice they never come back? They know something we don't.

lyman
11-26-2018, 08:49

yep,

seems like money tossed in the bin,, but the stuff we learn and apply to daily life is priceless,

or so they say,

still not a fan of Tang

Merc
11-27-2018, 05:21

IMHO the fallout from space exploration is all around us and is largely responsible for today’s electronic and robotic world. Think of the advancements in medical procedures and medicine. The economic powerhouse that is the personal computer we all take for granted owes much of its technology to the space race. The processor in your cell phone is more powerful than the guidance system on the moon landers and the Voyager spacecraft that left our solar system and is still going.

Major Tom
11-27-2018, 06:30
What the heck is on Mars to account for the billions of dollars already spent? Now they want to send humans to Mars! That's crazy because a one way trip takes 17 months for the crew.

JB White
11-27-2018, 07:18
Just over a century ago people were saying mankind had no good reason to fly. Centuries prior science was condemned as the Devil's work. Can't help but wonder if certain cavemen thought the bow was useless when a hefty club could do the trick without breaking strings and having to constantly make arrows.

lyman
11-27-2018, 09:03
What the heck is on Mars to account for the billions of dollars already spent? Now they want to send humans to Mars! That's crazy because a one way trip takes 17 months for the crew.

well, it makes a good movie!

any one else get a chuckle over someone named Major Tom commenting about space exploration?

no offense to you Major,

I read your name, think Bowie, and Life on Mars (excellent song by Bowie) and smile (in a positive way, love that tune)

BTW, completely off topic, BBC has a series called Life on Mars,
it has nothing to do with Space travel, but is an excellent series to watch

- - - Updated - - -

Just over a century ago people were saying mankind had no good reason to fly. Centuries prior science was condemned as the Devil's work. Can't help but wonder if certain cavemen thought the bow was useless when a hefty club could do the trick without breaking strings and having to constantly make arrows.

and of course, the wheel was just a passing fad:icon_lol:

free1954
11-29-2018, 07:05
man the hunter needs other worlds to ravage. if we want to live forever on earth we have to go back to teepee living savages.

Johnny P
11-30-2018, 06:46
There are probably hundreds of small communities across the U.S. that could use a new water or sewer system before going to Mars is more important.

clintonhater
11-30-2018, 08:42
There are probably hundreds of small communities across the U.S. that could use a new water or sewer system before going to Mars is more important.

Not probably, indubitably...starting with the one I live in; well-drilling around here STARTS at 5 grand with no guarantees, so I, like many others, make do with the muddy water of a hand dug well. Vast swathes of this rich country are in the same boat. Medical services in rural areas? If an overbooked GP 20 miles away can't handle your problem, better just die. Somebody prating about how wonderful it is to have some new piece of electronic garbage in return for the countless billions shot into space makes me want to puke.

RED
11-30-2018, 04:13
Bruce and togor are right. If we colonize Mars we will ruin it. Just like when white people colonized North America, they ruined it.

Sandpebble
11-30-2018, 05:07

Are you saying you disagree with the Presidents push for a new military branch... The Space Force.... ???

togor
11-30-2018, 06:30
Not probably, indubitably...starting with the one I live in; well-drilling around here STARTS at 5 grand with no guarantees, so I, like many others, make do with the muddy water of a hand dug well. Vast swathes of this rich country are in the same boat. Medical services in rural areas? If an overbooked GP 20 miles away can't handle your problem, better just die. Somebody prating about how wonderful it is to have some new piece of electronic garbage in return for the countless billions shot into space makes me want to puke.

Sounds like the vibe from the old Marvin Gaye tune "Inner City Blues":

Rockets
Moonshots
Spend It On
The Have-nots

The fact that we've erected a civilization with our own hands that allows us to extend our reach to nearby planets is amazing and a source, to some of us, of great pride. It's a false choice to suggest we either have Mars probes or buy everyone in upstate NY a new well.

dryheat
12-04-2018, 07:52
Space travel is important and it's cool. Screw the poor.

JB White
12-04-2018, 05:23
Space travel is important and it's cool. Screw the poor.

There ya go. That's the way ya do it. It's The American Way! ;)

public disclaimer->*said in jest*

lyman
12-04-2018, 08:26
Are you saying you disagree with the Presidents push for a new military branch... The Space Force.... ???

so you are saying there are really stargates and we have a space force already?

Greyjoy
12-05-2018, 03:28
Its time to take over Mars and call it ours, HAHAHAHAHAH