PDA

View Full Version : They Shall Not Grow Old

togor
12-09-2018, 04:17
https://youtu.be/PdY-1u-rk_M

Director Peter Jackson talking about the film about the Great War made from original B&W archival footage that is digitally processed. From the trailers, this movie breaks new ground.

tmark
12-09-2018, 07:44
Neat, thanks for posting.

Vern Humphrey
12-10-2018, 05:21
Did you leave e're a wife or a sweetheart behind?
In some faithful heart are you forever enshrined?
And though you died back in nineteen sixteen
In that faithful heart are you forever nineteen?

Or are you a strange without even a name?
Enclosed forever behind a glass pane
In an old photograph, torn wrinkled and stained
And faded to yellow in a brown leather frame?

kj47
12-10-2018, 05:51
Fantastic what they can do with old films with digital restoration, thanks for posting.

JB White
12-10-2018, 06:29
Fantastic what they can do with old films with digital restoration, thanks for posting.

Fantastic that someone would take the time and use the technology to bring 'Tommy Adkins" back to real life. The span of 100 years suddenly got shorter.
A WW1 talkie....who could have imagined?

bdm
12-10-2018, 12:20
Thank You for posting i really enjoyed watching

Roadkingtrax
12-10-2018, 12:23
Plan to see it next Monday the 17th.

I'll report back.

JB White
12-10-2018, 01:06
Plan to see it next Monday the 17th.

I'll report back.

Yes, please do. Thanks.

clintonhater
12-10-2018, 06:31
Very impressed with the film restoration work, but strange to hear the front line described as a "boy-scout outing spiced up with a little danger." The dozens of trench-life memoirs published in the '20s sure don't describe conditions that way; they describe a life of such misery & horror that some men inflicted wounds on themselves as a desperate means of escape from it. No doubt there were sectors where each side existed in a kind of peaceful stalemate, but they were not typical, & I think it's very misleading to suggest they were.

I watched as many times as it was shown in rerun the entire WWI TV series that was used as a principal source. It contains much "combat-footage" that was staged or shot in training exercises, & true WWI combat-footage is rare & rather boring when you see it. It had to be filmed far from the action, because hand-cranked cameras had to be mounted on heavy tripods, so getting them into the thick of action was almost impossible.

On the other hand, it's not surprising that young guys out of immediate danger would lark it up when a newsreel cameraman showed up. Nor is it hard to guess why the British gov't wanted to show their folks back home the "happiest" images possible of life at the front. In 1914 a newsreel was shown in British theaters that showed the aftermath of a major battle, including heaps of bodies, that so shocked the relatively few audiences who saw it, that the British censorship authority (whatever it was called) ordered it withdrawn immediately from circulation.

jon_norstog
12-16-2018, 08:19
Did you leave e're a wife or a sweetheart behind?
In some faithful heart are you forever enshrined?
And though you died back in nineteen sixteen
In that faithful heart are you forever nineteen?

Or are you a strange without even a name?
Enclosed forever behind a glass pane
In an old photograph, torn wrinkled and stained
And faded to yellow in a brown leather frame?

Did you write that, Vern?

jn

Vern Humphrey
12-18-2018, 07:27
Did you write that, Vern?

jn

Nope -- but thanks for the compliment. It's from a 1930s song called "The Green Fields of France."

RED
12-18-2018, 05:52
Help me out here. I am trying to understand why the great propagandist posted such a link to a film on WWI. It only took an instant, then it came to me.

He is trying to show that dying for your country is a total waste... If you would just surrender and forget about your country... you wouldn't have to die. God (that is what the government is according to the Trump haters) should determine your roll in life. If your daddy was a hard line Democrat, you can go into the Government and make millions. If your daddy was a conservative, you will be lucky to sweep the floors at the Federal Building.

Total control is the route to utopia!

Actually, utopia could be achieved by merely increasing the minimum wage to $1,000,000 per hour. That way everybody could work for a day and retire reich! That is a true utopian solution favored by today's Nazis.

togor
12-18-2018, 06:02
I don't know if I'll get a chance to see the movie in limited theater release, but I'm definitely getting the DVD.

lyman
12-18-2018, 07:35
Help me out here. I am trying to understand why the great propagandist posted such a link to a film on WWI. It only took an instant, then it came to me.

He is trying to show that dying for your country is a total waste... If you would just surrender and forget about your country... you wouldn't have to die. God (that is what the government is according to the Trump haters) should determine your roll in life. If your daddy was a hard line Democrat, you can go into the Government and make millions. If your daddy was a conservative, you will be lucky to sweep the floors at the Federal Building.

Total control is the route to utopia!

Actually, utopia could be achieved by merely increasing the minimum wage to $1,000,000 per hour. That way everybody could work for a day and retire reich! That is a true utopian solution favored by today's Nazis.

please step away from the keyboard and take your medication,

or have a stiff adult beverage,

not defending Togor at all, but all he did was post a link about what has the potential to be a very good movie,

doubt Jackson will make much money on it compared to his other works , but if it is 1\2 as good as it looks to be, I will be grateful for the chance to see it,

if is is out in my area over the holidays, or playing at one of the local theaters when I am in Chantilly after Christmas for a gunshow, I will try to see it,

and will buy the DVD

JB White
12-19-2018, 03:50
If the DVD is released soon it would make for a nice gift. So, buy two and keep me in mind. :)