PDA

View Full Version : Work site.

S.A. Boggs
01-02-2019, 01:10
This is my work area where I configure the wood that I get from the torn apart pallets. Told wifey I needed some more power tools, she said go ahead and get what I want. Will be getting a jointer as a "needed" tool. Also plan to pick up, just in case, a table top router, scroll saw, and a belt sander as well. In the middle of the picture, this summer, I am going to put a fireplace with book shelves on each side. This will be our sitting reading area. I am going to redo the desk in the picture and use it as my computer desk. We are going to take down the ceiling and redo it with the finished wood. My wife is taking a two week vacation and is choosing/doing the finish on all of the wood. My wife is a crafter and can do just about anything.
Sam

JOHN COOK
01-02-2019, 05:14
Sam, I see a few drop cords. I started out with a 16X20 Concrete block, and less than a year expanded to 40 feet. That's a good size. Mentioned drop cords, make sure (I know you will) install a large enough breaker box to handle enough receptacles. I have 6 circuits going around my shop . (20 Amp 12 gauge wire third wire ground on GFIC breaker at the end of each run. You only need one at the end of a run. Lighting is a necessity. I had 20- 100 watt bulbs which will really run the meter a little fast. Purchased GE Light Sticks
LED daylight affect. They are a little pricey but will out last me and doesn't put out the heat of a 100 watt bulb. All lights on separate circuit, and water proof receptacles ( 4 of them one on each side of building) outside of building on separate circuit.
Just some ideas you might consider . You are getting there, hang on...:icon_salut:

P.S. also have 100 PSI Air line next to the outside receptacles and Flood lights on all four corners and a separate circuit for a small air cond. (window unit.) There are no windows in my shop, 2 two four foot doors, and both doors wired into my house alarm system. 6" insulation in ceiling.

I'll quit pulling my on string. Happy New Years..

john

Ken The Kanuck
01-02-2019, 05:24
looking good Sam:icon_salut:

KTK

S.A. Boggs
01-02-2019, 06:04
Sam, I see a few drop cords. I started out with a 16X20 Concrete block, and less than a year expanded to 40 feet. That's a good size. Mentioned drop cords, make sure (I know you will) install a large enough breaker box to handle enough receptacles. I have 6 circuits going around my shop . (20 Amp 12 gauge wire third wire ground on GFIC breaker at the end of each run. You only need one at the end of a run. Lighting is a necessity. I had 20- 100 watt bulbs which will really run the meter a little fast. Purchased GE Light Sticks
LED daylight affect. They are a little pricey but will out last me and doesn't put out the heat of a 100 watt bulb. All lights on separate circuit, and water proof receptacles ( 4 of them one on each side of building) outside of building on separate circuit.
Just some ideas you might consider . You are getting there, hang on...:icon_salut:

P.S. also have 100 PSI Air line next to the outside receptacles and Flood lights on all four corners and a separate circuit for a small air cond. (window unit.) There are no windows in my shop, 2 two four foot doors, and both doors wired into my house alarm system. 6" insulation in ceiling.

I'll quit pulling my on string. Happy New Years..

john

In February electrician will be out to install in new section's. Drop cords are a necessity and the yellow one is rated for the saw and plugged into a single receptacle that is 20 amp. There is only room enough for one and that is I, so only one machine is used at a time. In the new shop will be more and better coverage for all tools. Tomorrow I am adding to the site an LED shop lite that I have down in the other building, it throws out a great deal of light. The green cord is just for the lights and nothing else, not much power on it.
Sam

dryheat
01-02-2019, 06:42
What are you going to create there?

S.A. Boggs
01-02-2019, 07:33
What are you going to create there?

We are doing a late 1800 look to our new edition. I spent a fortune on wood to construct the shell and cast about for other idea's on wood. I am using free wood pallets for the material that I tear apart. The majority of wood is oak, with a smattering of pine as well as cedar or poplar. The wood is rough cut of various dimensions that I alter to our needs. It will be used for flooring, walls and ceiling.
Sam

dryheat
01-02-2019, 09:12
No, I mean what are you going to produce in the workshop.

S.A. Boggs
01-03-2019, 04:35
No, I mean what are you going to produce in the workshop.

What you see is just temporary during construction and is part of the 800 square foot conservatory. I am putting a great deal of money into good tools for the finishing of the house, Rather then sell at a loss my wife and I will build many things. My wife is a crafter and will be building various things to sell at local fairs this summer into fall, I plan on building furniture for the house and tool boxes to sell.
When I was a kid growing up I had a neighbor who was a master mechanic. Paul worked in the shop of the C&O railroad as well as doing his own work. One of my treasured tools that Paul gave me close to 60 years ago is a Sterret [sp] micrometer is a velvet lined case. In his late fathers garage was a hand made wooden tool kit lined and the tools were neatly placed and CLEAN. Paul had a good habit of wiping off each too before being placed back in the cabinet.
I am going to build one for myself from memory blueprint plans and if good enough try to sell some. I am following Paul's lead and buying the best tools that I can afford. Paul was my grandparents paper boy and told me many stories about them that I never knew. During WWII Paul was a radioman on a tin can in the Pacific and his ship did a lot of picket duty. Paul got me interested in the 1911 and was a big brother to me as I grew up.
Sam

bdm
01-03-2019, 12:01
Sir looking good i also use oak wooden pallets for construction

S.A. Boggs
01-03-2019, 12:07
Sir looking good i also use oak wooden pallets for construction

I don't deserve a "Sir" I am no better then you and you are no worse then I am.
On the side note, I am having a heck of a good time and Mom is happy as well.
Sam

PWC
01-03-2019, 03:50
Sam, you sneeky devil, I think you post these things just to make us cry....wish I had the real estate to do this and your add on shop. I've got the tools, but they share a 2 car garage with my car. Hey're all on wheels so I an roll them out after moving the car. PIA, but that's the way the toolbelt buckles.

S.A. Boggs
01-04-2019, 03:20
I have watched and listened over the last 20 years things that guy's have posted on what they are making/doing. Fred was an inspiration to me as to what can be done and so I tried to follow his example. When we bought this property ten years ago it was literally a mess! The guy I bought it off of hauled out two dump truck loads of trash from the previous residence and I spent $4,000.00 on repairs just to move in. My daughter and I could only work on weekends [wife was off in the middle of the week] and we spent 6 weeks cleaning the inside. We took out a 15 year mortgage and paid it off in 4.
Thanks to the President, stocks that we had accumulated over the years were riding high so we took a gamble and cashed them in. Found an Amish work crew from Mason, WV to build our dream and it took on a life of itself. These guy's are craftsman and had connection saving us a bundle. We made friends with them and they found deals for us.

In the spring they are going to help us with landscaping and reconstruction of my range, in return I will provide ammo for their hunting needs. To be honest, I am having a heck of a good time in doing this. At the end of the day I am very tired yet happy. My being tired is not like when I was working @ the clinic tired. I go to bed thinking of what I get to do as opposed of what I have to do...a big difference. While I was sick fighting cancer I had dreams of what I would do when I was well and now I am working at full steam to do those dreams.
Sam44870

free1954
01-04-2019, 03:56
I have watched and listened over the last 20 years things that guy's have posted on what they are making/doing. Fred was an inspiration to me as to what can be done and so I tried to follow his example. When we bought this property ten years ago it was literally a mess! The guy I bought it off of hauled out two dump truck loads of trash from the previous residence and I spent $4,000.00 on repairs just to move in. My daughter and I could only work on weekends [wife was off in the middle of the week] and we spent 6 weeks cleaning the inside. We took out a 15 year mortgage and paid it off in 4.
Thanks to the President, stocks that we had accumulated over the years were riding high so we took a gamble and cashed them in. Found an Amish work crew from Mason, WV to build our dream and it took on a life of itself. These guy's are craftsman and had connection saving us a bundle. We made friends with them and they found deals for us.

In the spring they are going to help us with landscaping and reconstruction of my range, in return I will provide ammo for their hunting needs. To be honest, I am having a heck of a good time in doing this. At the end of the day I am very tired yet happy. My being tired is not like when I was working @ the clinic tired. I go to bed thinking of what I get to do as opposed of what I have to do...a big difference. While I was sick fighting cancer I had dreams of what I would do when I was well and now I am working at full steam to do those dreams.
Sam44870

nice. I love the smell of sawdust in the morning.
it smells like.......
progress.
also, great poster.