PDA

View Full Version : Can"t I.D. 1903 Remington Bolt

kicker
01-10-2019, 02:18
Does anyone have a few good pictures of the correct Remington 1903 bolt for a rifle built late March 1942? I can't i.d. a 1903 bolt from a 03a3 bolt let alone a Remington bolt for a Rifle that had several parts changed through out it's run.

Thanks scott

John Beard
01-10-2019, 08:45
Seasons' Greetings!

What serial number do you have in mind? Please advise.

Thanks! And Happy New Year!

J.B.

kicker
01-10-2019, 09:44
The number is 3078610. Going by the dates i have found, on line. it would make it just about the last day of March 1942
thanks scott

kicker
01-11-2019, 02:51
I believe i have an idea what i am looking for in the Remington 1903 bolt body, generally it appears to be smooth where as a 03 bolt has several machined low spots. When this was changed i do not know.
I have seen photos of early R marked safety levers with both sides marked with serif style, and later marked sarif/block with weep hole and have heard tale of a sirif/block without weep hole.
I have seen R marked extractors with gas port hole on early models, but I don't if this was changed and when.
Don't know which firing pin type for serial number 3078610, early, mid, late?

Any thoughts would be helpful
thanks scott

John Beard
01-18-2019, 03:45
Please pardon my tardy reply. I inadvertently overlooked your posting.

Your rifle's serial number falls in a transition range of bolt body styles. So here's a description of the characteristics the bolt body should have.

The bolt handle may be marked underneath with a very large "R" or a small "R". Either could be considered correct.
The bolt handle would be marked on the back side with funky symbols.
The bolt body would be smooth.
The gas escape hole would be large.
The left locking lug would or would not have bolt stop detents. Either could be considered correct.

The extractor would be marked on the back side with an "R" and have a gas escape hole in the claw.

The bolt sleeve would be marked on the right shoulder with a small "R" and the safety lock plunger runway would have abrupt ends with no center detent.

The safety lock would be marked with an "R" on the back side, have serifed letters on both sides, and may or may not have a weep hole in the outer edge.

Good Luck!

J.B.