PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with "Emergency!"

S.A. Boggs
01-17-2019, 02:34
I am curious as to how does one deal with this occasion, usually weather related. Many people have become "Preppers" whatever the definition is and seem to prepare in glee. I for one find this quite alarming to say the least. My "emergency" supplies consist of an electrical generator and rated power cords and that is it. An "emergency" is hard enough to deal with out of the ordinary so we have lived as we "prepared" to decrease the bump in the road. Too many store in beans and rice to live on, their system is in for quite shock! I feel sorry for those who live in towns and apartments if one is too dependent on other's for their well being.
How will YOU AND YOUR FAMILY deal with your "emergency" and get safely thru it?:icon_scratch:
Sam

Merc
01-17-2019, 06:20
We don’t really plan ahead for emergencies except for power outages. I do have a 5kw generator that I bought several years ago during a power outage from a summer storm. The outage lasted for 5 days and I haven’t needed it since then. We just react to the situation that presents itself.

In December, 2017, my gas furnace began leaking carbon monoxide and had to be replaced. The level of CO “finally” got high enough to set off the smoke/CO detector. I shut the furnace off and I bought electric heaters. I say “finally” because I think we were starting to notice the effects of the CO several weeks before the detector alerted us that there was a problem. I bought a second detector and put it in the furnace room.

Fred
01-17-2019, 08:24
A generator that runs on propane to keep our well water pump going and to supply electricity to our underground heat and cooling system as well as to our home. Everything is electric.
Lots of food in the pantry.
More than enough ammo for several generations. Reloading tools.
Seven alert dogs.
Five horses and a buggy.
We live on our easily defended hill on several acres of land that can be used to grow our vegetables.
We’ve our orchard that supplies us with lots of fruit.
Two hummers that can go just about anywhere in bad weather and terrain.
Our own fuel storage.
Lots of Rayo oil lamps and wicks and fuel.

So, we aren’t “bugging out” to anywhere.

Below is a panorama looking to the North...East...South from our house.

S.A. Boggs
01-17-2019, 09:28
A generator that runs on propane to keep our well water pump going and to supply electricity to our underground heat and cooling system as well as to our home. Everything is electric.
Lots of food in the pantry.
More than enough ammo for several generations. Reloading tools.
Seven alert dogs.
Five horses and a buggy.
We live on our easily defended hill on several acres of land that can be used to grow our vegetables.
We’ve our orchard that supplies us with lots of fruit.
Two hummers that can go just about anywhere in bad weather and terrain.
Our own fuel storage.
Lots of Rayo oil lamps and wicks and fuel.

So, we aren’t “bugging out” to anywhere.

Where do you park your M-60?:eusa_whistle:
Sam

Sunray
01-17-2019, 11:05
One needs to define 'emergency' more. Having a generator will keep you lit, but not much else. Unless you heat electrically. It doesn't, for example, fix your internet connection if your provider's server room is without power. Happened 10 years or so ago when I was doing tech support. Woman called and asked why her's didn't work. Took a few minutes for her to say, "Oh. I have a generator." "Verizon(or whoever it was' doesn't." says me.
Most other stuff doesn't last long enough to require much of anything anyway.

m1ashooter
01-17-2019, 12:04
We live on the Texas Gulf Coast. So I have a gas generator and a bunch of gas cans to provide some power. I have a big old water bladder that I fill up if needed. A bunch of head mounted flash lights and batteries, matches and a very good first aid kit. After the last Ebola scare a few weeks ago I asked myself could we survive if we had to stay in our home for 30 day. So I have a 30 day at least supply of food on hand for my wife and I.

Vern Humphrey
01-17-2019, 01:37
My wife and I have been through many power outages here in the Ozarks. I built my house with a finished basement, and a wood burning stove in the basement. Each time we have a significant power outage, we note what we wished we had, and didn't. The longest outage was the Mother of All Ice Storms beginning on Jan 27th in '09. That ended a 12-month periods where we spent a total of 30 days and nights without electricity.

Here is my list, based on plenty of experience:

1. A generator -- currently a 7.5 kw gas generator, but I'm planning on a propane generator next year, with two tanks.
2. A chain saw -- to cut firewood, and to cut downed trees on our 3/4s of a mile access road.
3. A variety of canned goods.
4. Plenty of fuel -- I keep 15 gallons of gas and 5 gallons of diesel in the shed.
5. Guns and ammo -- because, why not?

Fred
01-17-2019, 02:47
Where do you park your M-60?:eusa_whistle:
Sam

If The Memsahib would let me, I'd buy one from Surplus.
Here's me with two of my five tank crews back in 1982.

Former Cav
01-17-2019, 03:11

wow, 1982 and you were still on an M60?
I thought the Abrams came out in 1980 or so.
I was trained on the M60 at Ft. Knox, tested the M551 POS sheridan during the summer of 67 at the armor engineer test board at Ft. Knox. Was on an M48A3 in Nam in 68.

Fred
01-17-2019, 04:14
:1948:

Art
01-17-2019, 04:57
wow, 1982 and you were still on an M60?
I thought the Abrams came out in 1980 or so.
I was trained on the M60 at Ft. Knox, tested the M551 POS sheridan during the summer of 67 at the armor engineer test board at Ft. Knox. Was on an M48A3 in Nam in 68.

There were still some M60s in the Marine inventory in Desert Storm but they were kept mostly in reserve.

Art
01-17-2019, 05:15
It depends on what you're "prepping for." There are some people for whom prepping for Armageddon and to those folks prepping can be also an end in itself/hobby...nothing wrong with that.

We don't live that far from M1A shooter and our main concern in hurricanes. My area is notorious for flooding but we've never come close to that happening to us.

The longest we were without power was three weeks (Alicia.) During that storm only a very few people had generators and it was truly miserable I must say. Now days as soon as a hurricane passes you can hear generators firing up all over my neighborhood and one of them is ours. We had 20 gallons of fuel for Ike and that only held out for 12 says running old Betsy 6-10 hours a day to keep the fridge and freezer cold. After that I had to drive 70 miles to get more and it was not cheap. We had power back on in 14 days so we now have at least 30 gallons of stabilized fuel on hand in hurricane season for Ms. Generator and about 10 gallons all the time. At the first sign of trouble both cars are fueled up. Generators have to be maintained. Just let them sit without running for extended periods (a year or two) and you may find yourself with a thoroughly useless hunk of metal, but I figure all you guys know that

Our daughter and son in law aren't as prepared as we are. Their house flooded in Harvey but they have lots of friends so were really only badly inconvenienced for about six months or so thanks to friends taking them in (they lived in a garage apartment most of that time.

Now, anticipating the worst, storm wise and the wife, our daughter, our son in law the grandson and me in at the max, and doubling the most time we've had to hunker down....We can live off the food in the freezer for a bit over three weeks due to the generator and ice chests should that run out. We've never had a gas or water outage even in the worst storms so prudence for us equals:

There are canned goods on hand to last at least 10 days to two more weeks.
We have freeze dried food for about two weeks after that.
We always have at least 30 gallons of purified water on hand and containers to add 30 more right before a storm.
I have medication I can not live without and maintain at least a years supply.
We have two USGI first aid kits that should handle any medical problem we don't actually need a trauma center for.
There are kerosene and led lanterns as well as head lamps
We are prepared to "repel boarders" but that has not been remotely an issue in our area so far :1948:.

Interestingly the lights went out during Harvey and came on within 10 hours. The reason was the high school behind us was a shelter and so at the top of the list to get power restored and we're on its circuit. Our generator and some of our fans then went to the house of some friends who had flooded to run fans to help dry the framing out after we'd ripped out all the interior walls.

Speaking of generators....want to put a real load on your generator, just turn on your microwave oven, especially when the compressors for the 'fridge and the freezer are running :icon_e_surprised:.

I do enjoy prepper sites, they can be a hoot, and sometimes quite educational!

dryheat
01-17-2019, 07:55
We don’t really plan ahead for emergencies except for power outages. I do have a 5kw generator that I bought several years ago during a power outage from a summer storm. The outage lasted for 5 days and I haven’t needed it since then. We just react to the situation that presents itself.

In December, 2017, my gas furnace began leaking carbon monoxide and had to be replaced. The level of CO “finally” got high enough to set off the smoke/CO detector. I shut the furnace off and I bought electric heaters. I say “finally” because I think we were starting to notice the effects of the CO several weeks before the detector alerted us that there was a problem. I bought a second detector and put it in the furnace room.

"Everything means something". Most important lesson I've learned. Pay attention to the little things. Numerous people have died from trying to heat an enclosed space. That doesn't mean you can't heat an enclosed space, just be cognizant.

dryheat
01-17-2019, 08:02
It depends on what you're "prepping for." There are some people for whom prepping for Armageddon and to those folks prepping can be also an end in itself/hobby...nothing wrong with that.

We don't live that far from M1A shooter and our main concern in hurricanes. My area is notorious for flooding but we've never come close to that happening to us.

The longest we were without power was three weeks (Alicia.) During that storm only a very few people had generators and it was truly miserable I must say. Now days as soon as a hurricane passes you can hear generators firing up all over my neighborhood and one of them is ours. We had 20 gallons of fuel for Ike and that only held out for 12 says running old Betsy 6-10 hours a day to keep the fridge and freezer cold. After that I had to drive 70 miles to get more and it was not cheap. We had power back on in 14 days so we now have at least 30 gallons of stabilized fuel on hand in hurricane season for Ms. Generator and about 10 gallons all the time. At the first sign of trouble both cars are fueled up. Generators have to be maintained. Just let them sit without running for extended periods (a year or two) and you may find yourself with a thoroughly useless hunk of metal, but I figure all you guys know that

Our daughter and son in law aren't as prepared as we are. Their house flooded in Harvey but they have lots of friends so were really only badly inconvenienced for about six months or so thanks to friends taking them in (they lived in a garage apartment most of that time.

Now, anticipating the worst, storm wise and the wife, our daughter, our son in law the grandson and me in at the max, and doubling the most time we've had to hunker down....We can live off the food in the freezer for a bit over three weeks due to the generator and ice chests should that run out. We've never had a gas or water outage even in the worst storms so prudence for us equals:

There are canned goods on hand to last at least 10 days to two more weeks.
We have freeze dried food for about two weeks after that.
We always have at least 30 gallons of purified water on hand and containers to add 30 more right before a storm.
I have medication I can not live without and maintain at least a years supply.
We have two USGI first aid kits that should handle any medical problem we don't actually need a trauma center for.
There are kerosene and led lanterns as well as head lamps
We are prepared to "repel boarders" but that has not been remotely an issue in our area so far :1948:.

Interestingly the lights went out during Harvey and came on within 10 hours. The reason was the high school behind us was a shelter and so at the top of the list to get power restored and we're on its circuit. Our generator and some of our fans then went to the house of some friends who had flooded to run fans to help dry the framing out after we'd ripped out all the interior walls.

Speaking of generators....want to put a real load on your generator, just turn on your microwave oven, especially when the compressors for the 'fridge and the freezer are running :icon_e_surprised:.

I do enjoy prepper sites, they can be a hoot, and sometimes quite educational!

A thouroly enjoyable and thoughtful post. It's easy to say, I'd move, but it's your home.

S.A. Boggs
01-18-2019, 01:00

If The Memsahib would let me, I'd buy one from Surplus.

Here is a Leopold I for sale in California for a mere $260,000...no block which is sad!:icon_redface::eusa_wall:
Sam

S.A. Boggs
01-18-2019, 02:42
Our county has just been placed under a Winter Storm Watch for heavy snow and ice and then a drop in temps down close to zero, oh boy! Grocery stores will sure be busy this weekend with sudden purchases. Wal-Mart now carries generators, bet they will sell out on these.
Sam

Art
01-18-2019, 08:57
A thouroly enjoyable and thoughtful post. It's easy to say, I'd move, but it's your home.

You are correct in that where you live matters. I would like to say I looked at the topographical maps and picked the spot least likely to flood but that would be a lie.

Every place, well nearly every place, can have issues with natural disasters, fires, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards etc. All have their own issues.

I live hear because I own my house outright, I'm 71 and in good shape as far as what I can do but have health issues that make me glad that I live 30 miles from the biggest health center in the U.S. and more importantly the number 1 rated cancer center. In my life I've weathered a dozen hurricanes both here and in Louisiana and you get better at this with time. My support group of friends and relatives are close by. Last but not least, as any one who has followed or knows me at all knows, I'm "muy Tejano" so God bless Texas, LOL.

I will admit that I could move to San Antonio and not deal with the storms though.

S.A. Boggs
01-18-2019, 05:18
My wife and I have been through many power outages here in the Ozarks. I built my house with a finished basement, and a wood burning stove in the basement. Each time we have a significant power outage, we note what we wished we had, and didn't. The longest outage was the Mother of All Ice Storms beginning on Jan 27th in '09. That ended a 12-month periods where we spent a total of 30 days and nights without electricity.

Here is my list, based on plenty of experience:

1. A generator -- currently a 7.5 kw gas generator, but I'm planning on a propane generator next year, with two tanks.
2. A chain saw -- to cut firewood, and to cut downed trees on our 3/4s of a mile access road.
3. A variety of canned goods.
4. Plenty of fuel -- I keep 15 gallons of gas and 5 gallons of diesel in the shed.
5. Guns and ammo -- because, why not?

Vern is that you?
Sam

Merc
01-19-2019, 08:17
"Everything means something". Most important lesson I've learned. Pay attention to the little things. Numerous people have died from trying to heat an enclosed space. That doesn't mean you can't heat an enclosed space, just be cognizant.

Good point. CO has to build up in an enclosed area to a certain PPM before most detectors will react. I bought the new style detector just to double check the alarm that I was hearing from the 6 year old detector that’s located in the uppjier level of the house near the bedrooms and it gave me an alarm within a few minutes. There are multiple common ways that CO can accumulate in a house - from a leaking furnace heat exchanger, a bad space heater, a plugged flu pipe and car exhaust. According to my furnace guy, heat exchangers on most furnaces will last for about 20 - 25 years. I would strongly suggest yearly older furnace inspections with a CO probe and a minimum of 2 CO detectors, one located in or near the bedrooms and one near the furnace. The directions on mine says to keep it a minimum of 10 feet away from the furnace.

free1954
01-19-2019, 08:23
the problem with a generator is you have to run and work it every so often. and the days of storing gasoline are over unless you constantly rotate your stock.

S.A. Boggs
01-19-2019, 09:16
the problem with a generator is you have to run and work it every so often. and the days of storing gasoline are over unless you constantly rotate your stock.

That is what I do, we refuel our trucks from the jerry cans that we hold for the generator.
Sam

Merc
01-19-2019, 09:24
Here are a few gas stories that could be a TV ad for fuel stabilizer. I use fresh fuel stabilizer in all of my gas engines every year when putting things away for the winter. I have a boat with a 100 HP outboard from the 1990s that still runs well. It has a 28 gallon gas tank and I probably have not used more than 5 or 6 gallons a year for the past 20 years. Since the tank is always kept full, it dawned on me a few years ago that there is a certain amount of diluted gas in that tank that could be 20 years old. I try run my generator every year and use it to run my electric chain saw. The gas in that tank is also has to be at least 10 years old. Until this year, I stored a 1979 Buick with a half tank of gas that was last driven in 2004. Like all the other engines, it gets a yearly shot of fuel stabilizer and always starts and runs. Be careful to only use fresh stabilizer. Once the bottle is opened, it will eventually go bad if not used and can cause problems.

free1954
01-20-2019, 04:30
Here are a few gas stories that could be a TV ad for fuel stabilizer. I use fresh fuel stabilizer in all of my gas engines every year when putting things away for the winter. I have a boat with a 100 HP outboard from the 1990s that still runs well. It has a 28 gallon gas tank and I probably have not used more than 5 or 6 gallons a year for the past 20 years. Since the tank is always kept full, it dawned on me a few years ago that there is a certain amount of diluted gas in that tank that could be 20 years old. I try run my generator every year and use it to run my electric chain saw. The gas in that tank is also has to be at least 10 years old. Until this year, I stored a 1979 Buick with a half tank of gas that was last driven in 2004. Like all the other engines, it gets a yearly shot of fuel stabilizer and always starts and runs. Be careful to only use fresh stabilizer. Once the bottle is opened, it will eventually go bad if not used and can cause problems.

I never got that kind of life out of stored gas. I used to use STABIL until I switched to SEAFOAM about ten years ago.

lyman
01-20-2019, 06:21
That is what I do, we refuel our trucks from the jerry cans that we hold for the generator.
Sam

I do the same,

run the generator every month, and don't 'turn' it off, shut the fuel off and let it run out,

then the extra gas in cans goes thru the lawn mower and weed eater to keep it fresh,

big fan of Seafoam as well, usually run a can thru all of them once a year (mixed in the fuel, so ran thru as it is used up)

lyman
01-20-2019, 06:29
as far as emergencies, we are not preppers, but like to think we are prepared, at least for any short term issues,

not paranoid enough, yet, to think the the second coming, zombie hord, russian/chinese/mexican invasion is happening tomorrow, but still do some preps

wife is Celiac, and has a few minor dietary concerns due to that,
we keep enough food around, (fresh, frozen and canned) to hold us a few weeks if needed (generator for power, gas (15gal) available, gas station/store a few miles away)
she has an AWD SUV, I have a 4X4 pickup as a backup,

plenty of guns/ammo and know the dope from my house to each mailbox up the street (live on a cul de sac) in case the invasion starts,,,,:headbang:

should the stuff hit the fan, and making the assumption (OMG!! ,assuming) there is some time to prep, we will likely get with family (across the state ) to figure out what direction to go, or if they will come to us,

we are far enough out of the city, and any bad demographic zone, to not worry too much about intercity silliness

Merc
01-20-2019, 06:49
I never got that kind of life out of stored gas. I used to use STABIL until I switched to SEAFOAM about ten years ago.

I add Stabil to all the gas tanks every fall when I close my summer cottage for the winter season. Stabil doesn’t age well once the bottle has been opened. I have used it for many years on all these gas engines so I always make sure to use every drop every year. I have a friend who put old Stabil in the gas tank of his outboard motor and it refused to run.

I used to always run the carbs dry on the outboards until my mechanic told me several years ago that it’s better to leave the gas and stabilizer in the carbs.

free1954
01-21-2019, 03:38
I used to always run the carbs dry on the outboards until my mechanic told me several years ago that it’s better to leave the gas and stabilizer in the carbs.

I had a Honda cb900 that I used to drain the carbs every winter, and every spring some rubber seal would be dry rotted and I would end up tearing them down to replace it. it's better to leave them full with stabilized gas. better still if you can run them once in a while.

Mark in Ottawa
01-21-2019, 01:27
Note that there is a difference between an emergency and a crisis or disaster. Generally an emergency is a fairly localized event that happens unexpectedly and is fairly short term. That reflects itself in the advice that most government agencies provide in which they suggest that everybody should be prepared to manage things for themselves for about three days. That can encompass such problems as a forest fire that gets near you but does not destroy your community; a storm that knocks out power; a gas leak and the like or perhaps a hurricane that causes you to evacuate but does not destroy your home. A crisis or a disaster on the other hand is considered to be a wide spread event with problems that last more than 30 days. That can include a system wide power failure that can't immediately be repaired; a fire that destroys your neighborhood; a tornado that hits your neighborhood; an electromagnetic pulse that destroys all electronics and transportation systems, war damage, etc.

I think that almost all of us have encountered emergencies and have coped with them. Few of us have however encountered wide spread catastrophes (unless you lived through Katrina in New Orleans) and even then, there were back up resources available within a few days.

My personal experience has been somewhat limited although I once wrote the Business Continuity Plan and Emergencies Book for the headquarters element of a Canadian Government Department. Surprisingly we ended up using the authorities twice in six months to close down buildings and send everybody home for health and safety reasons.

My real fear is that I don't know how society will survive a very wide spread disaster.

S.A. Boggs
01-21-2019, 03:24
If our government shutdown extends into March and no welfare for the entitled, things will get quite interesting to say the least. One will see a "small" disaster and how people will "handle" it. Our daughter is a casher who often has to decline a sale, usually ethanol. People get quite ticked off when told they can't have something and will argue that "they" are entitled to it.
Sam

lyman
01-21-2019, 04:47
If our government shutdown extends into March and no welfare for the entitled, things will get quite interesting to say the least. One will see a "small" disaster and how people will "handle" it. Our daughter is a casher who often has to decline a sale, usually ethanol. People get quite ticked off when told they can't have something and will argue that "they" are entitled to it.
Sam

spent many a moment dealing with the folks that think an EBT card could buy hot food or alcohol,
as well as dopers that used all or sold all of their meds before it could be filled again,

both types seem to think getting loud and threatening will get them what they want,
both were wrong

Merc
01-21-2019, 05:32
I had a Honda cb900 that I used to drain the carbs every winter, and every spring some rubber seal would be dry rotted and I would end up tearing them down to replace it. it's better to leave them full with stabilized gas. better still if you can run them once in a while.

I started seeing ethanol free gas being sold at a few gas stations around town that’s supposed to be much better to use in outboards and small engines. The type of Stabil that treats ethanol is a product that can help cut down on fuel system repair bills.

free1954
01-24-2019, 03:35
I started seeing ethanol free gas being sold at a few gas stations around town that’s supposed to be much better to use in outboards and small engines. The type of Stabil that treats ethanol is a product that can help cut down on fuel system repair bills.

I don't know of any places around here that sell ethanal free gas. getting back to the original question, with two coupon clipping senior citizen women in the house my larder is constantly stuffed with enough to last for weeks. of course I still have to run out for eggs, milk, and bread. because as we all know whenever there is a big storm everyone makes French toast. if there is a chance of a big ice storm I will go over to the shop I work out of and bring home a construction site generator.

Merc
01-24-2019, 09:01
I don't know of any places around here that sell ethanal free gas. getting back to the original question, with two coupon clipping senior citizen women in the house my larder is constantly stuffed with enough to last for weeks. of course I still have to run out for eggs, milk, and bread. because as we all know whenever there is a big storm everyone makes French toast. if there is a chance of a big ice storm I will go over to the shop I work out of and bring home a construction site generator.

Go here to see if anyone sells ethanol free gas close to where you live:

www.pure-gas.org

free1954
01-26-2019, 05:11
Go here to see if anyone sells ethanol free gas close to where you live:

www.pure-gas.org

thanks for the link.