PDA

View Full Version : WTS: RtL's January Book Sale!

Rick the Librarian
01-21-2019, 04:38
List "neatened" - Books no longer listed are sold, pending arrival of funds.

Attached are a nice group of books for winter reading at a fraction of retail new prices. I have a large number of books on World War II and military history.. Watch carefully, as there are several “bundle offers to be had! Note especially the special section on Pearl Harbor and the early Pacific War!

A) Payment can be made by check or money order. I may have to hold checks until they clear unless you are known to me. Paypal can be used, but a 4% premium will be added to offset fees charged by Paypal unless you do it as a gift/family.

B) All prices do not include shipping. Shipping is done by USPS Media Mail, which I have found economical and secure and now comes with tracking numbers. I will quote a shipping price, when you make an offer. Insurance is optional. Although I pack and ship very carefully, I can’t be responsible if you don’t insure large purchases.

C) Books vary in condition and I do my best to describe them properly. Books are hard-backed unless otherwise mentioned. Any questions will be gladly answered. I will also provide reasonable pictures of the books or their content if you want. Obviously, “I’ll take it” trumps over “Can you send me more information?” 

D) When you contact me about these books, please inquire by book title, not number. You can contact me through this forum or at –rrsbls@msn.com-- (remove dashes)

E) Books are for sale on several forums. When two people offer to buy the same book or books, the earlier email/PM is considered first. I try to update this list to show purchased books at least once a day.

I. “Rick’s Picks”:

1) “The Jolly Rogers” by Tom Blackburn. Blackburn was the commander of one of the leading Navy “ashore” squadrons flying the F4U in the South Pacific. Another classic. Paperback, ex-near new. $7.95

2) “The Longest Winter” by Alex Kershaw. On the morning of December 16, 1944, eighteen men of the Intelligence and Reconnaissance platoon attached to the 99th Infantry Division found themselves directly in the path of the main thrust of Hitler's massive Ardennes offensive. Despite being vastly outnumbered, they were told to hold their position "at all costs”. All 18 survivors were decorated. Trade ppk., ex. Condition, $6.95

3) “The Banana Wars: A History of U.S. Intervention in Latin America” by Ivan Musicant. A captivating history of the US intervention in Latin America from the Spanish-American War to the interventions in the late-1980s in Panama. An award-winning author. Hard to find! Ex.-near new, $15.00

4) “The Generals: American Military Command From World War II to Today”. By Thomas Ricks. Thomas E. Ricks sets out to explain why few, if any generals have been relieved “for cause” since WWII. In part it is the story of a widening gulf between performance and accountability. During the Second World War, scores of American generals were relieved of command simply for not being good enough. Today, as one American colonel said bitterly during the Iraq War, “As matters stand now, a private who loses a rifle suffers far greater consequences than a general who loses a war.” G/VG trade ppk. $4.50

II. Pearl Harbor and the Philippines – early Pacific War

1) MacArthur and Wainwright” by John Beck. A detailed history of the Philippine campaign of 1941-42 as seen through the leadership styles of Douglas MacArthur and Jonathan Wainwright. Excellent, critical bibliography. Ex. Condition (no dust jacket). $7.95

2) “Pearl Harbor Extra” by Eric Caren. A unique oversized “history” of the first months of the Pacific War, as seen by American newspapers across the country. A “You Are There” feel. Ex. Condition, $5.99

3) “Day of Lightning, Years of Scorn” by Charles Anderson. Over the years various books on Pearl Harbor have presented Short and Kimmel as either fools or scapegoats for Washington officials attempting to hide their own errors. In this long overdue first biography of Short, the general emerges as an honorable man who made some errors. Charles Anderson's balanced portrayal acknowledges that Short bore responsibility for certain charges made against him, but it also provides ample evidence that Short's superiors worked hard to blame him and Kimmel as a way of avoiding their own culpability. NEW trade paperback … $8.00

4) “Pearl Harbor: Final Judgement” by Henry Claussen. From November 1944 to September 1945, Clausen traveled more than 55,000 miles and interviewed over a hundred U.S. and British Army, Navy, and civilian personnel. He was given the authority to go anywhere and question anyone under oath, from enlisted personnel right up to George C. Marshall. Massive. Ex.-near new trade ppk. $5.95

****Bundle Price**** -- Buy all three for $13.50.

5) “Return to Midway” by Robert Ballard. One of a series of famous pictorial books on the archeology of the naval battles of World War II, this one, at attempt to find the sunken U.S. carrier Yorktown, sunk at Midway in June, 1942. Beautiful pictures, drawings and paintings. Excellent, oversized, $7.95

III. World War II – European Theatre

1) “Spitfires, Thunderbolts and Warm Beer” by Phillip Caine. SPF

3) “The Royal Oak Disaster” by Gerald Snyder. SPF

4) “Barbarossa: The Russian German Conflict” by Alan Clark. The Barbarossa campaign included some of the greatest episodes in military history: the futile attack on Moscow in the winter of 1941-42, the siege of Stalingrad, the great Russian offensive beginning in 1944 that would lead the Red Army to the historic meeting with the Americans at the Elbe and on to victory in Berlin. Barbarossa is a classic of miltary history. This paperback edition contains a new preface by the author. A massive 500-page book. VG-ex. (large) trade ppk., $5.00

IV. World War II – Pacific Theatre

1) “Sea of Thunder: Four Commanders” by Evan Thomas. Drawing on oral histories, diaries, correspondence, postwar testimony from both American and Japanese participants, and interviews with survivors, Thomas provides an account not only of the great sea battle and Pacific naval war, but of the contrasting cultures pitted against each other. William Halsey, Earnest Evans, Ugaki and Kurita. Ex. Condition trade ppk. $4.95

2) “Hiroshima in History: The Myths of Revisionism” by Robert Maddox. This anthology exposes revisionist fallacies about Truman’s motives, the cost of an invasion, and the question of Japan’s surrender. Essays by prominent military and diplomatic historians reveal the hollowness of revisionist claims, exposing the degree to which these agenda-driven scholars have manipulated the historical record to support their contentions. Near new trade ppk., uncommon, $10.95

3) “Wolfpack: The American Submarine Strategy That Helped Defeat Japan.” Steven Smith. Wolf Pack traces the development of one of the most effective naval strategies employed by the American fleet in World War II. Steven Trent Smith recounts the behind-the-scenes struggles of the visionary U.S. naval commanders who sought to adapt the highly effective strategy of using coordinated submarine attack groups, or “wolf-packs”. Ex. $6.95

4) “The Elusive Enemy: US Naval Intelligence and the Japanese Fleet” by Douglas Ford. the evolution of U.S. intelligence concerning the combat capabilities of the Imperial Japanese Navy and its air arm during the interwar period and the Pacific War. NEW! $10.95

5) “Counting the Days: POWs, Internees, and Stragglers of World War II in the Pacific” by Craig Smith. Counting the Days is the story of six prisoners of war imprisoned by both sides during the conflict the Japanese called the "Pacific War." As in all wars, the prisoners were civilians as well as military personnel. Ex-library but Ex. Condition, $6.50

V. General and Misc. Military History

1) “The US Against the Axis: Surface Combat, 1941-1945” by Vincent O’Hara. The story of the U.S. Navy's surface fleet in World War II with an emphasis on ship-to-ship combat. The book refutes the widely-held notion that the attack on Pearl Harbor rendered battleships obsolete and that aviation and submarines dominated the Pacific War. It demonstrates how the surface fleet played a decisive role at critical junctures. NEW trade ppk., $9.95

2) “Bombers: Profiles of Major Combat Aircraft in History” by Bill Gunston. A pictorial profile (oversized) of the most famous bombers in history from the 1930s to the 1980s with an emphasis on WWII. MANY pictures and drawings. VG-ex. $6.95

3) “The Lower Deck of the Royal Navy, 1900-1939: Invergordon in Perspective. The Royal Navy has had only one serious mutiny in it’s modern history, the event at Invergordon in 1931. This tells the story within the history of the British “lower deck” up to the start of WWII. Near new, plastic case (but NOT ex-library), very rare in this condition, $14.50

4) “The Great White Fleet: America Comes of Age as a World Power” by Samuel Carter. A good short introductory history of the huge fleet movement in 1907-1909 that circled the world and made naval history. Ex/near new, $6.50

5) “Memories & Memorials: The World War II US Navy” by Steve Ewing. A detailed pictorial listing of all the memorial ships and memorials that honor the US battlefleet of WWII. Oversized with large numbers of photographs. VG/Ex. Oversized trade ppk., $7.50

6) “Anti-Aircraft Guns (WW2 Fact Files) by Peter Chamberlain. A rare reference book to the anti-aircraft guns used by all sides in WWII, including the German “88”. Oversized, many pictures – RARE! Near new oversized ppk., $9.95

7) “Weapons of the 1973 Israeli Arab War” – a magazine format type of paperback on the weapons and tactics of the 1973 Yom Kippur war between Israel and the Arabs. Ex., trade ppk, $5.00