PDA

View Full Version : early 20 dollar bill

RCS
01-30-2019, 06:28
I found this among my fathers small collection. I do not recall ever
finding a "gold" $20 bill. These have to be kind of rare ?45091

PWC
01-30-2019, 07:49
From when we were on the gold standard....ca 't redeem for gold anymore. Probably use as a regular 20, bu its true value is the condition and rarity. Go to Barnes n Noble and look it up in the coin collectors books.

Allen
01-30-2019, 09:52
Looks like the "buy it now" prices from sellers on ebay are wanting $100-$250 (mostly the higher end) depending upon condition.

Personally I would have thought they would be worth much more.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=twenty+dollar+gold+certificate&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=twenty+dollar+gold+certificate

bdm
01-30-2019, 12:15
I remember years ago you could turn the silver 20s for silver my wifes father turned in a lot of them for silver bars her mother still has them

Allen
01-30-2019, 01:05
IF you could exchange this bill for gold you wouldn't have much to show for it. Currently gold is running around $1300 per oz. $20 worth would be a bar about the size of a #8 bird shot?

blackhawknj
01-30-2019, 03:16
They were supposed to be turned in 1933 when FDR took us off the gold standard. Convicted Lindbergh Baby Bruno Hauptmann was caught because he was spending gold certificates-from the ransom money-a year and a half after the turn in order.

PaFrank
02-12-2019, 11:10
If you ever go to a large coin show, you will see these for sale by the hundreds... even in the larger denominations.. I had a bunch of paper money I had collected over the years... Star notes, print errors, National Currency, and some other stuff... Sold it all and bought guns a few years back when paper money was hot.

The one pictured looks pretty good. I would grade it as FINE..

You should be able to walk into almost any coin shop (pawn, maybe) and get $30 to 50 for it... MAYBE more... You need to get a hold of a copy of a publication called the "green sheet". Basically the Shotgun News of the coin world and they come out weekly last I used them

You can get a single issue for $12 https://www.greysheet.com/Publications/GreenSheetDetail

Merc
03-03-2019, 07:27
I got these 1950 series $20 bills in circulation about a year ago. Not rare, but unusual to find them still being circulated.

Tuna
03-03-2019, 05:39
Condition is everything with these just like firearms. This one has two folds in it. That takes some away from the value. The crisper the bill the better.

Allen
03-03-2019, 07:21
Condition is everything with these just like firearms. This one has two folds in it. That takes some away from the value. The crisper the bill the better.

Rick Harrison (Pawn Stars) will give you $20 for it provided it is in uncirculated condition, you have it framed and mounted and you have a letter of authenticity preferably from the U.S. Treasury dept.

I've never had any luck collecting paper money. In the past I saved limited signature bills and other oddities only to find out after many years down the road that they hadn't collected any additional value. Strange how coins soar and paper remains stagnant. Somewhere at my parents house we have some Confederate bills.

Tuna
03-04-2019, 07:40
Confederate money can be very collectable and a lot depends on who signed it too.

Allen
03-04-2019, 08:09
Confederate money can be very collectable and a lot depends on who signed it too.

It seems to be a science all its own. Not only the signatures but it looks like every state (in the South) printed their version of the money with many different topics, scenes and denominations. We have one bill that is for 50 cents.

gwp
03-04-2019, 08:51
The Great American Coin Company has $20 Gold certificates ranging from $125 (cull) to $1493 (uncirculated).

https://www.greatamericancoincompany.com/search?q=%2420%20GOLD%20CERTIFICATE&hPP=12&idx=shopify_products&p=0&is_v=1

JB White
03-04-2019, 10:35
Coins and currency is tough. Costs to buy and is worthless when selling unless another collector wants exactly what you have.
For short term rollover and collection upgrading the firearms field is easier to navigate. Also, you can touch and use a firearm while you own it in most cases.

Money and guns usually follow the same history so both are equally educational. Aside from a few items that had my personal interest, I sold off the money sets at a slight loss and reinvested in guns. I haven't regretted that decision all these decades later.