PDA

View Full Version : Newer Smith and Wesson Model 66 or 686

p246
02-03-2019, 07:49
I have some older model 66-2s and an older 686. I was looking at the new offerings in a three inch barrel. Curious if any one has both (old and new)and how they compare. I’m hearing the new two piece Barrel is more accurate, however the MIM parts are hit and miss. I shoot mostly .38 at the range, but do dabble in .357sometimes. Most of the .357goes in the 686, but the 66 6 inch get some .357 from time to time. I do carry a 66 2.5 inch concealed at times. Trying to decide if I want to buy new or look for a older decent gun.

dryheat
02-03-2019, 10:59
Gun manufacturing has just about reached the apex. You might get a bad copy that needs a little tweak. Mostly they are all good. My old Rossi was wonderful. I sold it to a newby cop and he loved it. Now it's all marketing. Shoot the sucker. If yer worried about .357 or .44, get a Ruger. S&W will get dinged on occasion with .357. That's what the gunsmith I trust told me. I don't do short barrels. So, if your carrying to be concealed, put six rds. through it and see if it works. You will probably never have to shoot it again. Carry it until you drop.

lyman
02-04-2019, 05:42
I've sold a handful of new models (both ) and have had no complaints or returns for repair on any Smith Revolver (honestly, very few Smiths ever go back, may be one out of 100 if that,, )

I own a 6" 686 Silhouette (bought used) and a 66 3" Lew Horton special (3" full length ejector, round butt, bought new)
both from the early mid 80's

nary a problem with either,

I have not shot a new model, to compare,

my dislikes are strickly my own, that being said, I like the finish and grips of the old models better,
the new SS looks more matte, and a different color (maybe a different grade of SS??) and the grips on the new stuff does not fit my hand well,

(my 686 wears S&W Targets,, the 66 was changed out the Hogue's wood)

and yes, I know you can change the grips off the new stuff,

Allen
02-04-2019, 06:03
I've noticed on GB that most all people tend to pay more for the older S&W revolvers and the old style factory target grips bring $200 or more if in nice condition. I have 8 total all of which were made in the 70's-80's. I do not want a gun that has MIM parts. Part of this is psychological, part of it is reading how these parts are processed and part of it is reading about customer reviews of these parts breaking, not necessarily S&W though. Some parts are MIM that probably shouldn't be such as extractors that have to be able to flex. On the S&W's the MIM parts are used on the revolvers that have the safety's--something else that I will not own. The hammers in particular are referred to as skeletonized due to all the inletting for the safety feature. Here again people pay more for Smith's that do not have these "features", old school being the best as far as looks, feel, quality, design and workmanship. My 2 cents worth.

lyman
02-04-2019, 06:09
Allen

what Smith Revolver have Safety's??

or are you referring to the lock? (also known as the Hillary Hole)

Allen
02-04-2019, 06:16
Allen

what Smith Revolver have Safety's??

or are you referring to the lock? (also known as the Hillary Hole)

My bad. It IS referred to as a lock.

Art
02-04-2019, 07:17
I'm a wheelgun guy and when I carry a handgun it's almost always a S&W revolver (usually a 1998 manufactured Model 640) and I admit to being prejudiced in favor of the old forged parts/highly finished models but that's a prejudice and I admit it.

The new "Smith" revolvers are good guns. They don't have the charm of the old school guns, especially the pre 1982 models but appear to be every bit as durable, maybe more so. I won't buy the new ones purely because of the key lock which I look on as something that can fail at the wrong time but if you aren't going to carry the gun and just shoot it at the range that's not an issue.

I agree with dryheat,, if you're going to feed it a steady diet of magnums, especially .44 magnums, Rugers are a great choice. In the 1980s my agency issued the very hot Remington 125 gr SJHP .357 Magnum ammunition. We also qualified with that ammo and trained with it to the tune of 500-1,000 rounds per year. They started issuing and training with the 110 gr SJHP ammo when K frame S&Ws started breaking under the strain of a steady diet hot magnums, including my personally owned Model 13 which failed (cracked barrel) at the 3,000 round mark. The 125 gr ammo was an option and I use it in my bigger magnums to this day. The issue Ruger Speed Sixs may not have been as trim as a Model 19 or 66 but they devoured mass quantities of the hottest Magnums without a hiccup. GP 100s are great guns and an old Speed Six or Security Six while no longer cheap, can still be found at a good price if you shop around. They're excellent guns also, smooth and very, very durable. I recommend them to others regularly.

JOHN COOK
02-04-2019, 07:24
My bad. It IS referred to as a lock.

Allen, for a southern gentleman your vocabulary ("My Bad") seems to be drifting toward the so called African American understanding of the English language ... Sort of like the expression . " you know?..You know etc....
john in SC

JimF
02-04-2019, 07:46
Ahh . . . but John . . . .

Allen, at least, is not interjecting the word “like” in his conversation about every other word!

At least, like, I can like understand like where like he is like coming from!

Allen
02-04-2019, 07:49
Allen, for a southern gentleman your vocabulary ("My Bad") seems to be drifting toward the so called African American understanding of the English language ...

Just repeating what I've always heard from others (whites in this case). I didn't realize it was a foreign object to people living in other regions but I guess it's better than saying "oh s**t". Long ago one of my black co-workers kept saying the word "worsem" as in something that is worse than others. I told him that wasn't a word and he insisted that it was and that it was in the dictionary. Finally one day he showed it to me in the "slang" dictionary.

Art
02-04-2019, 07:50
Ahh . . . but John . . . .

Allen, at least, is not interjecting the word “like” in his conversation about every other word!

At least, like, I can like understand like where like he is like coming from!

or..ugh...totally.

Allen
02-04-2019, 08:13
As far as Ruger's go I'm sure they are built stronger than a Smith but I just don't see the same quality and certainly not the feel (clumsy). My brother has a Ruger Blackhawk (1969-70) in the 44mag with the 7 1/2" barrel and the screws instead of the pins. It is very accurate and the blued finish is like a mirror. I use to shoot it a lot in my younger days. The gun is beautiful except for the aluminum ejector housing with had to be anodized and of course does not match the blued finish. Same with the 10/22's with the aluminum receivers. I don't like aluminum parts on what is assumed to be a steel gun. I have owned a Smith 29 6 1/2" barrel since the mid 70's. It has been shot no doubt thousands of times, a lot by me but I bought it used from a local cop who also owned a gun shop with an outside range and dirt berm just outside the door of his shop. He would let anyone shoot the gun first that was interested in buying a new 44mag. At one time I thought every one in the county must have shot that pistol. The steel used on these things is amazing--the meat between the chambers on the cylinder is practically paper thin compared to other makes. I don't see how it takes the abuse that it does. Again, just my 2 cents worth. They're like Ford's and Chevy's, each with pro's and con's and personal preferences.

Tuna
02-04-2019, 09:29
My .357 is an L frame 4 inch 686 from the first production run. As an instructor I have over 30,000 rounds through it with about 5,000 being .357 magnums. The action is so smooth I would put it up against any other production revolver around. The revolver is extremely accurate with it being able to put 6 rounds double action into a group the size of a quarter at 25 yards with wad cutters time and time again. Of course that was when I could see what I was doing many many years ago. It has never been back to the factory and just keeps on ticking. While I have it, I no longer own it. Wife took over ownership a long time ago and only shoots .357 magnums in it. Yes I created a monster. Even reloading, .357 cost more then target .38spl.

Sunray
02-04-2019, 10:56
"...MIM parts are..." Nothing to worry about. Everybody knows how strong Ruger's are. Ruger built their entire business on investment cast parts.
The new offerings are the same internally as any Smith revolver. And no revolver not made before 1980 is old.

barretcreek
02-04-2019, 12:45
The Smith lock can be replaced with a plug; had it done on my 629-6. My 586 is the first one D+T for a scope mount. It will produce one ragged hole at 100yds with factory ammo.
My 65 Ladysmith is a nice gun and in deferance to its K frame heritage I only shoot super hot loads when carrying in bear country, the max loads go in 586 or 28.
It is my understanding the new EDM style barrels do not shoot cast bullets as well as the older style rifling. I'll find out comparing the 629 to the SBH.

lyman
02-04-2019, 05:18
"...MIM parts are..." Nothing to worry about. Everybody knows how strong Ruger's are. Ruger built their entire business on investment cast parts.
The new offerings are the same internally as any Smith revolver. And no revolver not made before 1980 is old.

cast parts and MIM are different processes,

not sure which has the most strength, thinking most cast is stronger, but not sure

p246
02-04-2019, 07:34
Thanks for all the feedback. I’m fond of Smith revolvers and will probably stay loyal. My 66-2 2.5 inch barrel used to be a 4 inch. Like Arts a steady diet of 125 and 158 grain .357 cracked the forcing cone at the flat. The 686 will eat them all day. My model 66-2 6 inch is the most accurate, but too big to carry. I prefer to carry the 66 2.5 inch concealed. I figure 6 rounds of .357 should create some separation. I’d like to find a 3 inch to replace the 2.5. The 2.5will get passed down. If I go new the Smith lock would have to be plugged. I’m interested in the 7 shot 686, but have always like the 66. Anyway might look for a nice used gun and if that falls threw I can always try new. Seems like the little pocket rocket semis are all the rage but I still like the wheel gun.

- - - Updated - - -

I've sold a handful of new models (both ) and have had no complaints or returns for repair on any Smith Revolver (honestly, very few Smiths ever go back, may be one out of 100 if that,, )

I own a 6" 686 Silhouette (bought used) and a 66 3" Lew Horton special (3" full length ejector, round butt, bought new)
both from the early mid 80's

nary a problem with either,

I have not shot a new model, to compare,

my dislikes are strickly my own, that being said, I like the finish and grips of the old models better,
the new SS looks more matte, and a different color (maybe a different grade of SS??) and the grips on the new stuff does not fit my hand well,

(my 686 wears S&W Targets,, the 66 was changed out the Hogue's wood)

and yes, I know you can change the grips off the new stuff,

Lyman, your Lee Horton set up is exactly what I’m thinking I want (3 inch, with full length ejector and round butt). Obviously yours is a custom but that’s my basic idea. I bet that’s a fine rig.

lyman
02-04-2019, 07:38
Thanks for all the feedback. I’m fond of Smith revolvers and will probably stay loyal. My 66-2 2.5 inch barrel used to be a 4 inch. Like Arts a steady diet of 125 and 158 grain .357 cracked the forcing cone at the flat. The 686 will eat them all day. My model 66-2 6 inch is the most accurate, but too big to carry. I prefer to carry the 66 2.5 inch concealed. I figure 6 rounds of .357 should create some separation. I’d like to find a 3 inch to replace the 2.5. The 2.5will get passed down. If I go new the Smith lock would have to be plugged. I’m interested in the 7 shot 686, but have always like the 66. Anyway might look for a nice used gun and if that falls threw I can always try new. Seems like the little pocket rocket semis are all the rage but I still like the wheel gun.

I never jumped on the pocket rocket bandwagon,

my most often pocket gun is a 60's vintage Centennial, (J frame) in a Kramer pocket holster,

or a Seecamp LWS 32

never felt outgunned,

infact, with the exception of a Hi Power I carry once in a blue moon, the other 3 pistols I rotate when I carry on my hip (pancake style leather) are all single stack auto's (SIG P6, 220 or a 1911 commander)

- - - Updated - - -

Lyman, your Lee Horton set up is exactly what I’m thinking I want (3 inch, with full length ejector and round butt). Obviously yours is a custom but that’s my basic idea. I bet that’s a fine rig.

it's a nice easy to shoot revolver, that I for whatever reason never carry,

I even have a couple of pre mod 10 snubbies, one a bit too nice to carry, but I just like my mod 40, it just fits my hand, and pocket, right

Art
02-05-2019, 11:05
My model 66-2 6 inch is the most accurate, but too big to carry. I prefer to carry the 66 2.5 inch concealed. I figure 6 rounds of .357 should create some separation. I’d like to find a 3 inch to replace the 2.5. The 2.5will get passed down.

My last duty gun was a 3" Model 66 I got at a great price NIB in the late 1980s. Unfortunately the old 3" guns were mostly made for law enforcement agencies especially in the Treasury Dept. where they were sometimes referred to as the "CS-1." If you found one for sale back then it was almost surely a Treasury overrun. They are not exactly rare but are a scarce pricey collectable now, starting at about $1500.00 in good shape. It was far and away the best duty carry gun I ever had. The new Combat Magnums with the 2 3/4" barrel should approximate that gun very well. They are also supposed to have improved lock up.

Faulkner
02-16-2019, 12:43
I still carry my 3 inch S&W M65 on occasion when I'm on plain clothes duty. I bought this one new in 1995 in my rookie year and it's been a good gun.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/5865076/77732761.jpg

p246
02-16-2019, 05:21
I broke down and ordered a 686 plus deluxe. It will be the first Smith I own past a -3. I’m going to delete the lock for sure. Some reviews of the wood grips aren’t favorable. If I’m not happy those are easily changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Faulkner,
Looks like you took good care of that rig. Very few of my guys/gals still carry a Revolver off duty. I still think they are a great choice.

tmark
02-16-2019, 07:29
I bought my 686 with six inch barrel in the eightys. After firing around 50,000 rounds of 357 reloads using blue dot powder, my revolver had severe forcing cone erosion and top strap flame cutting, as diagnosed from a S and W repair shop. They replaced the barrel and top strap assembly free of charge. I did have to pay labor. Basically, the only original major part of the revolver I retained was the cylinder whose SN is now different from the rest of the handgun.

I've since changed powders and put over 50k more rounds through it.

p246
02-16-2019, 08:39
[QUOTE=tmark;551310]I bought my 686 with six inch barrel in the eightys. After firing around 50,000 rounds of 357 reloads using blue dot powder, my revolver had severe forcing cone erosion and top strap flame cutting, as diagnosed from a S and W repair shop. They replaced the barrel and top strap assembly free of charge. I did have to pay labor. Basically, the only original major part of the revolver I retained was the cylinder whose SN is now different from the rest of the handgun.

Tmark your street cred just went way up. Those steel revolvers will take a beating. 50,000 rounds with any powder is an accomplishment. I shoot the 6 inch 66 a lot, the 4 inch 64will get some to. Hopefully the 3 inch 686 balances well and I can try to beat it to death. I cast 140 grain range scrap and have a lot of free brass so shooting is not to expensive.

JB White
02-17-2019, 06:42
My 586 (M) is a former duty weapon. A lot of holster wear and a blemished side plate, but lived most of its life practicing and qualifying with 38 specials. I have no idea as to how many rounds have been through it. Looks fine to me and it's still tight as a drum.

I replaced the Pachmayer grippers with cocobolo Houges/w contrasting grip cap. Recently loaded up some Bullseye midrange loads with 158gr JHP's in virgin brass.

My N frames and K frames were minor tuned for a slick 8# DA and a crisp 3# SA. This L frame is right there the way I like it. Within an ounce or so either way.
Need to get in some pistol range time, soon! I just recently joined a private range where it doesn't cost $28 per hour and am restricted to their ammo and PC influenced targets.