PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor Metcalfe Device...?

Digi-shots
02-04-2019, 02:52
First time poster here..

Does anyone have any photos of a Metcalfe Device that they can post?

I have a two part device that may be an original or perhaps a reproduction.
I’ll see if I can post some photos. Pics are on my phone, not sure how to do it.

Digi-shots
02-04-2019, 03:38
Let's see if this works..451244512545126

free1954
02-04-2019, 03:41
there is a picture here http://www.picturetrail.com/sa4570af

- - - Updated - - -

sorry. herehttp://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/3487648

Dick Hosmer
02-04-2019, 10:31
The bar looks original, the block looks (due to lack of any wear at all) to be a very well-executed replica, though it could possibly be real; but the cartridges are waay too late. You'd want early (without headstamp) Benet inside-primed rounds.

Digi-shots
02-05-2019, 05:20
Thanks, I appreciate you looking at the pics. I agree, it is pretty clean looking. I wasn't sure if it was a copy or perhaps one that wasn't issued or ever used. There appears to be a thin coat of varnish on both the outside of the wood block and the metal fittings that has yellowed.

Here are some close up pics of the wood block and fittings.

Digi-shots
02-05-2019, 05:26
One more pic..

Digi-shots
02-05-2019, 05:51
Metal fittings..

Thanks for looking

Digi-shots
02-05-2019, 06:14
All sides of the block are smooth except for the two ends (pics show faint crosscut saw blade marks)

Dick Hosmer
02-05-2019, 08:31
I'm going to have to change my opinion - a little bit - and swing to saying it is probably genuine that might have been "restored/refinished" or else just kept someplace incredibly safe, or, as you say, perhaps never used. A really nice find! Do you have the rifle? Took me a long time to find mine, and it is a reassembly of course.

Digi-shots
02-05-2019, 01:14
Thanks for the follow up.

Dick, I’ve had this for ten years or so hoping to come across a Trapdoor that had been inletted for the device. So far, no luck!

Linda

Dick Hosmer
02-06-2019, 08:13
Thanks for the follow up.

Dick, I’ve had this for ten years or so hoping to come across a Trapdoor that had been inletted for the device. So far, no luck!

Linda

I understand you are trying to contact me. I don't use the PM system - please use my email: richardahosmer@comcast.net. Thanks.

D Miller
03-08-2019, 03:28
I just joined this web sight a few minutes ago. Was looking through to get the idea of how it works. The cartridge block picture was made by me a few years ago. I sold a few but the time involved did not meet what I sold them for. I still have about 20 that I never compleated.

D Miller
03-08-2019, 04:15

Dick Hosmer
03-08-2019, 06:50
Wow! Nice work, Dennis. They look so good that they could pass for real, especially if "aged" somewhat. But, I kinda wish you had done something, perhaps like DEEPLY branding the back side, to mark them as a reproduction.

D Miller
03-08-2019, 08:11
Dick
You are correct in that I should have marked the block as a repro but I had no idea anyone would look at them as anything but a repro. There are only a few out there unmarked anyway. I sent one to Ken McPheeters and we discussed possible marketing. One of my repros went with a Metcalfe rifle and original block I sold. If my memory still works I believe I sold another by itself and is the one pictured. Someday I may get back to working on the 18 I have started. Thanks for the feedback!
Dennis
P.S. Will you be in Baltimore next weekend?

Dick Hosmer
03-08-2019, 08:53
Dick
You are correct in that I should have marked the block as a repro but I had no idea anyone would look at them as anything but a repro. There are only a few out there unmarked anyway. I sent one to Ken McPheeters and we discussed possible marketing. One of my repros went with a Metcalfe rifle and original block I sold. If my memory still works I believe I sold another by itself and is the one pictured. Someday I may get back to working on the 18 I have started. Thanks for the feedback!
Dennis
P.S. Will you be in Baltimore next weekend?

No, regrettably, I will not. I've always had to be a collector on a very strict budget and that has only tightened with time. :-(