PDA

View Full Version : Vikings

Fred
02-08-2019, 07:27
Here are some interesting ancient Norse (Viking is a Verb) items of Silver and Bronze that I thought I’d share for Show and Tell.
Everything that they made of metal is pretty much still around over 1,000 years later. You’ve just have to find it.

Fred
02-08-2019, 07:40
A closer look at the smaller items...

Sunray
02-08-2019, 11:03
Here's a place to squander the rent/mortgage money. Guy has real stuff and repro stuff(very well made exact replicas. Have a pair of bronze Medieval prick spurs from him.) at reasonable prices. The Norse stuff is under Antiquities then Dark Ages.
http://medievalwares.com/
"...Viking is a Verb..." Yep. Something you went 'a' not were.

Mark in Ottawa
02-08-2019, 01:57
If you have not already read them, you might find the Saxon Series by Bernard Cornwell interesting. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saxon_Stories). This series deals extensively with Norse and Danish incursions into Britain in the days of Alfred the Great

Cornwell was also the author of the (rifleman) Sharpe Series

JB White
02-10-2019, 07:00
ancient Norse (Viking is a Verb)

It may have been a verb at one time. Latter day English has morphed several times since. The term Viking is rarely used as an adjective anymore let alone a verb. Today it falls into the realm of proper nouns.
My own father has a problem with the term 'oh' being used instead of zero. To this day he pronounces 1906 as nineteen 'ought six. He uses "zero" when reciting a phone number or address.

Interesting display of items reflecting varying differences in degrees of craftsmanship. Thanks for showing.

Fred
02-10-2019, 06:25
Glad you like them JB.
The Seven small and intricately made silver items were all obtained by the Norse in trade. These came from around Constantinopal.
the long pins were found within a Norse cache in Sweeden. The four smaller items came from Norse or Viking held England.
Obviously, they came from the same group of craftsmen. Made by men who have been dust in the earth for over 1,000 years.

JB White
02-10-2019, 09:50
Byzantine silver wire work is amazing for its day. Even the wire itself was hand made.

Merc
02-11-2019, 07:37
Glad to see someone else shares my interest in historic stuff. It’s lots of fun when you can go out and dig it up yourself. We find Indian artifacts in Northwest Pennsylvania and Civil War musket and minie balls from various battle sites in West Virginia. I’ll post some photos when I return from Florida.

Fred
02-11-2019, 03:13
Cool!!!