PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition

PeteDavis
02-21-2019, 05:52
Who has fired this ammo? I think the M1 Carbine would make a fine, compact defense weapon. I wonder about the Hornady ammo. It appears to be optimized but I don't know.

PD

p246
02-21-2019, 07:55
My Carbine wouldn’t feed it reliably, but my buddies ate it just fine, both are original military guns. I’d buy one box and make sure yours likes it. As far as defensive ammunition it should be just fine.

Tuna
02-22-2019, 07:36
If your carbine doesn't feed them well then get a good soft point round like the one Federal makes and the one Winchester has. They feed well in most carbines and do make nice holes in varmints with two legs or more.

PeteDavis
02-23-2019, 05:15
Thanks guys.

PD

Art
02-25-2019, 04:16
I use the Winchester 110 gr jacketed hollow points (technically they should probably be called semi-jacketed hollow points) in my Inland. It feeds them without a hiccup and they are accurate. As was said above, whatever ammo you choose, just make sure your particular carbine likes them. None of the hunting/defense ammo is cheap, the Winchester stuff I use is about $55.00 for 50 "drive out," so making sure it's reliable is paramount, especially in a defensive load.

Andouille
02-27-2019, 02:14
Federal Power Shock 110-grain soft point Israeli Po-lease issue $11.49 per box of 20, and no, I have no idea how that compares to any other manufacturer's or vendor's pricing or performance, but it is available as of a couple minutes ago:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/803002/federal-power-shok-ammunition-israeli-police-issue-30-carbine-110-grain-soft-point-box-of-20?utm_source=military-surplus&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main-image-link&utm_campaign=surplus-saturday

That's a long link so if it doesn't go hot, go to Midway and search their site for Product #: 803002.

Art
02-27-2019, 04:15
Federal Power Shock 110-grain soft point Israeli Po-lease issue $11.49 per box of 20, and no, I have no idea how that compares to any other manufacturer's or vendor's pricing or performance, but it is available as of a couple minutes ago:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/803002/federal-power-shok-ammunition-israeli-police-issue-30-carbine-110-grain-soft-point-box-of-20?utm_source=military-surplus&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main-image-link&utm_campaign=surplus-saturday

That's a long link so if it doesn't go hot, go to Midway and search their site for Product #: 803002.

Thanks!!

The link does work and I'll be buying some tomorrow, assuming there's any left.

PeteDavis
02-27-2019, 07:10
More thanks. Plan to shoot the Hornady in my Inland in a few days.

PD

jjrothWA
02-28-2019, 05:08
Try lightly smoothing the feed ramp, to minimizing "stuttering" of soft-nose ammo.

Mine is dedicated for HS use and sometimes for deer hunting.

Detail the bolt and ejector spring to insure great functioning.

Sunray
03-03-2019, 11:03
Never had any feeding issues loading Speer 110 grain HP's. Reloads only that make a grapefruit sized hole in a ground hog at about 1800 or 1900 FPS. Wouldn't think twice about using it for deer or SD except our idiot government thinks the Carbine is evil.
As with any factory ammo you need to try a box to see if and/or how well your Carbine shoots 'em. Doubt you'll have any feeding issues.
The Hornady CD ammo uses their FTX bullet(that's a Flex Tip primarily made for lever actions.) at 2,000 FPS. That's not terribly fast for a Carbine. Current Start loads of H110/296 run that fast. Max loads run 2100 FPS.

Art
03-05-2019, 05:12
My Federal Power Shock Israeli surplus soft points came in today. I'll try some of them out next week.

YouTube has a video on the stuff which is pretty good but unfortunately I can't get the link to work.

Sunray
03-07-2019, 10:39
"...Never had any feeding issues..." DOH! Except when using the one 30 round mag I have. That required me to open the lips a tick to make it feed reliably. Needle nosed pliers.

shadycon
03-31-2019, 04:56
Home defense; Carbine with semi jacketed HP's, but do you want to walk thru a house in the dark and have to shoulder a long gun? . For me it is my 357 with JHP's for close quarters. Carbine with 30 rd clip if outside. Luck would have I've never had a situation that I've had to pull one out................