PDA

View Full Version : need a few parts?

Brad
03-02-2019, 01:21
Where is a good place to get parts for a trapdoor.
I remember there was a guy that used to e-mail a little news letter that sold parts, etc.
Very knowledgable as I remember?
I just picked up a klunker at a show but it is good and tite and the bore looks ok. Missing a few screws, cleaning rod.
Thanks

Kragrifle
03-03-2019, 06:45
Red Daugherty is the nicest, most honest TD guy around. He will be at the Baltimore show in two weeks and also at Tulsa. I don’t have a phone number right now but will look.

Carlsr
03-03-2019, 07:06
This is one of the best places to find quality parts and rifles. Al is a great guy and the best to deal with.
http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

Brad
03-03-2019, 03:34
Thanks to all. I have spoken in the past with Al. Will check out his site again.
If you have a number for Red I'd appreciate it.
I think I know the basic parts I need but am confused on a couple things and need to ask whom ever I buy from to clear things up?
Thanks

Kragrifle
03-05-2019, 11:26
Have not been able to find a number for Red as yet.

Dick Hosmer
03-05-2019, 11:42
Try 260-833-2315. That has been on Al's site for a long time; if it is a dead end, we should tell him.

- - - Updated - - -

This is one of the best places to find quality parts and rifles. Al is a great guy and the best to deal with.
http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

Carl, only fair to update you. I attended my first show as a seller in at least 5 years. Threw out a few things, including my (kinda surplus) 1870. I THOUGHT it was "safe" at $2,000. It wasn't. Just wanted to let you know as that was well above what what I'd mentioned as possible, to you.

Carlsr
03-05-2019, 02:56
I was hoping you would contact me about it but not telling me that it was sold : ( There is another just posted on GB but looks to be cleaned rather well?? This is the listing. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/802308447
Hope it went to a good home, though my home would have been better : ) Heading to Baltimore next weekend, maybe there will be one there??? Al posted one a couple days ago and I missed it some how. He told me it was listed for only 15 minutes!! One thing about that one is that it had a serial # just on the barrel of the left side. I thought that the ones with a serial # were on the left.
Congrats on the great sale!

Dick Hosmer
03-05-2019, 03:26
I was hoping you would contact me about it but not telling me that it was sold : ( There is another just posted on GB but looks to be cleaned rather well?? This is the listing. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/802308447
Hope it went to a good home, though my home would have been better : ) Heading to Baltimore next weekend, maybe there will be one there??? Al posted one a couple days ago and I missed it some how. He told me it was listed for only 15 minutes!! One thing about that one is that it had a serial # just on the barrel of the left side. I thought that the ones with a serial # were on the left.
Congrats on the great sale!

I REALLY had not planned on selling it, but some old guy walked up with a wad of Benjamins, and there was nothing I could do. I see nothing wrong with that one on GB. In fact, I like it better than Al's, due to his having a replacement stock. You'll need a sight leaf, but that's not hard to fix. It might not be the 1870 of your dreams, but they are tough to find in anything approaching decent condition, so I'd give it serious consideration. I've dealt with the seller, he is knowledgeable and quite friendly - mention my name if you wish, traded for my 1867 Cadet from him, many years ago.

Carlsr
03-06-2019, 12:55
I understand Dick, hard to turn down a pocket full of Benjamins. I noticed it was missing the leaf but have seen those for sale so easy fix. I emailed the seller to find out if he is an FFL. Living here in little Germany it has to be shipped from an FFL to an FFL for transfer, SAD!!I could drive the 5 1/2 hours?? Thanks Dick, I will mention your name should I talk to him. I have time to bid before the Baltimore show and should I not get it I'll have 1000 tables to search.

Carlsr
03-07-2019, 12:43
I have e mailed him twice in the past 2 days and no response. My question for him is if he is an FFL which does not show on his listings but some do not post it for some reason. I can not bid unless he is so that it can be transferred here in New Germany.

Dick Hosmer
03-08-2019, 07:07
You mean that using an FFL at YOUR end, and going through whatever check and waiting period is required, is not sufficient? How can your laws be forced on another state?

Of course, I live in the PRK (People's Republik of Kalifornia) so am little better off. Recently had to go the full BS route on my low-numbered 1868, which came from Maine. The sellers, being the largest class 3 dealer in the Northeast - or so I'm told - apparently have their own "resident" BATFE agent, and so ship EVERYTHING FFL to FFL, laws be damned. It seems that if they fart without first obtaining a Hazmat permit they could lose their license.

Carlsr
03-08-2019, 03:32
If you are not an FFL both parties must be present at transfer. C&R are not recognized in this Dictatorship so they must be present also. They say California has strict gun laws LOL!!!