PDA

View Full Version : Not the Babylon Bee

barretcreek
03-07-2019, 08:20
https://www.businessinsider.com/self-driving-cars-worse-at-detecting-dark-skin-study-says-2019-3

How is the Left going to deal with this uh, 'minor glitch'? The article states the problem may be related to not programing in enough dark skinned people into the 'dictionary' or reference palate. I think it is more basic to the software and the scanning technology.

By the end of summer I usually get dark enough to be invisible in moonlight; only my untanned skin reflects moonlight. My tanned areas just seem to absorb it. So is the collision avoidance system looking for people or just reflective objects?

gwp
03-07-2019, 09:58
I would guess if skin color was important in the detection of live objects, other factors, like size and density were under evaluated. Autonomous driving systems still need a lot of development to be safe. Possibly more or different sensors will solve the problem.

Allen
03-07-2019, 10:10
Then there are people with yellow skin (Asians and people with jaundice) and red skin (Native Indians and drunks). Will the cars not see these people when the sky has a yellow or red cast to it such as daybreak and sunset?

The answer to the original question is the same for all questions relating to dark skinned people: "the cars are racist".

JB White
03-07-2019, 10:48
Let's not forget that only a few years ago a system couldn't make a distinction of light colors and background sky. That caused a Tesla to drive under a tractor trailer crossing the road.

It was said the system worked as designed but they wouldn't admit it was a faulty design.

togor
03-07-2019, 10:57
Biggest scandal since Band-Aids?