PDA

View Full Version : 1943 Enfield No4 Mk1

Marty T.
03-31-2019, 05:30
Found one of these with price of $450. Is it worth it or can they be found for less? Only seen pics, but looks in good shape and according to the info is original, in spec and functions properly. Thanks.

p246
03-31-2019, 06:29
Doubt it’s original as from factory, most are rebuilt. But I guess original to rebuild would be correct to. I’ve still been finding nice No 4s for $400.00, but you’re not that far off. For me to pay $400.00 the bore has to be excellent and the wood has to fit well with good draws and forend up pressure. There are No 4s I’d pay more than 400.00 for such as a 1941 Longbranch, but that’s due to rarity more than condition. Good luck.

lyman
03-31-2019, 07:08
avg price for a good condtion No4 in these parts,

honestly, you did give us much to go from,

FTR'ed?
maker?
barrel condition?
number on bolt head?
wood, what type? good shape?

Mk1? Mk1*?
year?

bore?

devil and pricing is in the details

Marty T.
03-31-2019, 07:28
Well, I know. But I gave all I have to go on. Just saw it on an ad site for selling personal items, not a bidding place. Called VCI classifieds for w. Ky. W. Tn So, Ill area. You can look it up and see what I saw. May be something you would want. I would be interested if I knew it was worth it. And no, it's not mine. You may be able to let me know if it would be a good purchase or if too much for what it is. Thanks.

lyman
03-31-2019, 07:52
post a link, does not have to be active or copy paste the pics

p246
04-01-2019, 01:58
I found it Marty. Just a few pics and not much of a description, bore pic looks good, wood not bad, has been FTRed at least once. If you want to roll the dice offer $325.00 to $350.00. Without more pics and descriptors would be hard to offer more. The few pics listed look good, just not enough for me to go all in. Good luck.

Marty T.
04-01-2019, 09:59
That's what made me decide to ask those in the know before I tried to do any contacting of the seller. Not much to go on in the ad, but thought some here might be able to give me a ballpark to work with. And that you have done, and I greatly appreciate it. Now will confer with my "financial advisor" and see if I can do some offering. Thanks again.

p246
04-01-2019, 01:24
That's what made me decide to ask those in the know before I tried to do any contacting of the seller. Not much to go on in the ad, but thought some here might be able to give me a ballpark to work with. And that you have done, and I greatly appreciate it. Now will confer with my "financial advisor" and see if I can do some offering. Thanks again.

LOL the F.A. Is the big hurdle

Merc
04-02-2019, 12:01
I’ve had some fun with my 1944 No 4 Mk1* that was made in the US by Savage. It’s well built, but like all British tools, guns, cars, etc., etc., the engineering is a bit over the top when compared to the US made battle rifles. It obviously saw some service and I believe it was rebuilt by the Canadians in 1951. It’s a fine battle rifle that was built loose and spacious on purpose. A nice example in shootable condition should be worth what they’re asking. It’s great if the seller will take $50 less but don’t pass it up if you really want it. I saw two this weekend at a military flea market in OH that had asking prices of $450 and $500. The price of everything is only getting more expensive.

Marty T.
04-02-2019, 08:25
Along those lines, the one other thing that I forgot to mention. How is the price of these holding? Going up in value, holding steady, or losing? That is also a factor in the deal. Will contact the owner later this week and see where it goes. Thanks again.

p246
04-03-2019, 06:03
Stupid around 2013, dropped and leveled in price for a couple years, now on the rise slowly. If you take care of it you should do just fine, as long as you buy right.

lyman
04-03-2019, 06:29
prices have been steady (well, maybe just a slight increase ) for the past few years,

depending of course on condition, markings (as in who owned it at one time) condition and of course condition

Sunray
04-04-2019, 10:08
Condition, maker and proof of good head space plus what stamps are on it all matter for a value. Then you get into local desirability like if it's a Savage made rifle being worth more Stateside for no particular reason other than being made Stateside.
Any stamps indicating it was anywhere near Century Arms lowers it's value as they assembled thousands of No. 4 Rifles out of parts bins with no QC of any kind.
"...rebuilt by the Canadians in 1951...." Quite possibly. After the Savage contract ended, all the remaining parts, rifles and machinery was shipped to Canadian Arsenals - Long Branch and issued to CF units. Had a Savage on my MIU long ago.
"...How is the price..." The used to be sold by the pound, up here. Spike bayonets were sold as tent pegs at one time. Think I paid about $50 Cdn. for my Long Branch No. 4.
Every milsurp goes up in value. Supply is low and the demand is high. They start at about $500 on Gunbroker.

P51MUSTANG
05-09-2019, 05:13
I see sewer pipes at $400 and a decent rifle at $550 and up...…..

P51MUSTANG
09-24-2019, 04:54
I see decent ones around $550 or so and some a lot higher.....

Merc
09-26-2019, 05:45
I went to the MAX (Military Antigue Collectors) show last Friday in Pittsburgh (Monroeville). It’s one of the major events on the east coast with more than 1000 tables. They’re moving the show to York, PA next year to be closer to the major east coast cities. I’d say it was about 70% Nazi with many German speaking buyers looking for WW1 and WW2 memorabilia which sorta surprised me. Saw Greg Gottlieb there (gun expert from Pawn Stars) and a few other semi-famous faces from TV that I recognized.

Anyway, I did see WW2 rifles for sale. The only Enfield I saw was a Longbranch No. 4 that was in pretty nice shape for $450. I also saw several M1903s, 03-A3s and M1917s for $800 - $900, M1 Garands for $1500 - $1800 and several M1 Carbines for $1500 - $2000. There were a lot of Mausers for sale. Don’t particularly want one so I didn’t look at prices.

The gun prices at these shows are usually negotiable so the asking price sets the ceiling.

lyman
09-26-2019, 06:44
I have a friend that has gotten into WW2 (and will do some WW1 soon) reenacting,

he did CW for years, but seems they do less and less each year (really peaked as far as events during the 150th)

he lives in SW VA, and travels to Penn, KY, WV and somewhere in Oh that does a beach landing type event,

he says the participation is very strong,

I also met a guy that was from PA at a NOVA Gunshow a couple years ago, sold him a tripod for his dummy MG42,
he told me there were a lot of events to reenact in in the Penn area,

he also did German

Merc
09-26-2019, 10:05
I have a friend that has gotten into WW2 (and will do some WW1 soon) reenacting,

he did CW for years, but seems they do less and less each year (really peaked as far as events during the 150th)

he lives in SW VA, and travels to Penn, KY, WV and somewhere in Oh that does a beach landing type event,

he says the participation is very strong,

I also met a guy that was from PA at a NOVA Gunshow a couple years ago, sold him a tripod for his dummy MG42,
he told me there were a lot of events to reenact in in the Penn area,

he also did German

There seems to be a growing interest in WW2 around here. I’ve been to the re-enactment of the D-Day beach landing that’s held each August in Conneaut, OH that’s complete with landing craft, tanks, tank destroyers, a C47, 2 P51s flying, artillery pieces, jeeps, half tracks, German and US machine guns, tons of M1s, M1903s, No. 4s, hundreds of American, German and British re-enactors that come from all over the country. They do an actual beach landing on a beach at Conneaut, OH on Lake Erie that resembles Normandy. It’s really something to see. Thousands of people attend.

Last year, a little old man and his wife walked up to me and he asked me if I knew what a Bazooka was. I told him yes, I did. He then proceeded to tell me that he used to be the soldier in his outfit who fired the Bazooka at tanks and he only aimed at the tank treads. “A blown up tread meant the tank could only go in circles,” he said. We spoke for a few more minutes and then I shook his hand, thanked him and said good bye. I looked at my program booklet when I got home and there was a photo and bio of the man. He was 96 years old. In 1943, he was the baddest a$$ on the battlefield. He came home with a chest full of medals. I looked for him in the program this year but he wasn’t there.

I march at Gettysburg every November in full uniform as a GAR member to commemorate Remembrance Day which was the day Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address. Sad to say that fewer CW re-enactors are interested in keeping the memory alive. The parade still attracts lots of attention though and perhaps 800 to 1000 marchers.

Liberals threaten to set off explosives along the parade route these past two years which resulted in a heavy police presence and a shortened parade route. It’s all due to the liberals protesting the Confederate marchers carrying the Rebel flag. It’s the same people who are removing Confederate memorials all over the south.

lyman
09-26-2019, 12:28
my friend also goes to gettysburg, and has been allowed to camp on the battlefield or adjacent park property,

he is with the 45th VA,
everything they do is as period correct as possible,

they also marched from Dinwiddie Ct House to Appomattox a couple times, (last on the 150th)

they used my shop van and trailer as a support vehicle,

I'll try to remember to send you a link to the pics I have on photobucket of that event