PDA

View Full Version : Question only for the retired of us

S.A. Boggs
04-14-2019, 03:44
How do you find time to do all the things that you get to do? Each night I go to bed I think of what I get to do the next day and each day the list get's longer and longer. After church today my bride wants me to work on one of her sewing machines that she is having a problem with. Wolf always needs attention, trying to finish the new benches in my brides new quilting room. Have seeds to plant, trying to work in my repurposed reloading room and then I want to get to the Lone Ranger CD's that my daughter just gave me. Forgot to mention the Have Gun Will Travel to watch as well. Then there is grilling dinner and if I have time a nap with Wolf by my side. I wish I had a job to go to so that I could rest up! Hate to mention trying to find time to go fishing, how does one do it all? It seems that when I had a job I could do it all and now I find that I can't!:icon_redface:
Sam

Art
04-14-2019, 04:15
I actually thought about that a couple of years after I retired and realized that a lot of the stuff that fills my day now was kicked down the road more. So the stuff got done when I was working full time but it didn't get done in as timely a fashion. Speaking of which, it is getting to be fishing time :1948:

Merc
04-14-2019, 05:33
Sam,

www.ohiocivilwarshow.com

I’ll give you one more thing to add to your list. The Ohio Civil War Show in Mansfield is coming up in May. Take a day off from your busy schedule and see what this event is all about.

Allen
04-14-2019, 06:06
You have too many projects. When you have too much to do you find yourself going in different directions at once and often get overloaded with little accomplished.

You've done a lot lately with your house and reloading but it may be time to cut it back a notch or two.

My 2 cents worth but speaking from my own experiences.

S.A. Boggs
04-14-2019, 08:46
Sam,

www.ohiocivilwarshow.com

I’ll give you one more thing to add to your list. The Ohio Civil War Show in Mansfield is coming up in May. Take a day off from your busy schedule and see what this event is all about.

Thanks, something to consider this year. I had a friend years ago, Bill Large, who was heavy into black powder.
Sam

p246
04-15-2019, 06:13
I can only dream for 15 more years about this problem...

lyman
04-15-2019, 06:18

you and me both,,,:eusa_dance:

well actually, about 10,

anyhoo,,

maybe stop for a few, jot down all the stuff you do, and then schedule it,

treat some of it like a job , as in I have do xyz by the 10th,

leave lots of flexible time in that schedule for extras and fishing

Allen
04-15-2019, 06:20

It's a good life. You'll wonder how you ever had time to work as your free time will fill quickly with "honey do's", repairs and improvements you've been putting off, countless projects, sleeping in late, afternoon naps and going to bed when you want to. If you have pets and/or grandkids you will find you are able to get much closer to them having the time to do so after retirement.

Sunray
04-15-2019, 09:43
"...time to do all the things..." It's more about finding enough to do. A great deal depends on where you are and what funds you have. My full pensions haven't started yet.

Dan Shapiro
04-19-2019, 03:19
It took me one or two years to develop my 'system'. The wife still works, so I'm the designated House Mouse. I have something around the house to do every day. Then there is what NEEDS to be done, vs what has to be done (sooner or later). Unless it's a long-involved project that takes all day, the afternoons are generally mine, to do as I please. Yeah, there are things I COULD do around the house.........but the world won't fall apart if they go undone for another day or two.

remus
04-19-2019, 07:58
I'm retired since Nov of 91. Gloriously unmarried. All my money and time belongs to me. I do what I want, when I want, where I want to. I have a couple of people I call friends and the rest of the people I leave alone. Works for me.

dryheat
04-19-2019, 08:11
I got an "early out" from the postal service. I prayed for that. At 53 yrs of age I was a going concern for the first three years. I(still relatively strong)dug four feet down and replaced my sewer drain line and replaced the "paper" line with pvc. Removed invading trees. Hiked, camped. Went drinking with friends. But when I started to have wine with lunch I figured I was getting too French and decided to look for work. Best thing ever. I never intended to be there that long. At 63 it kind of hit me; time to start really being retired. The company called me back for a brief period, but I doubt I'll ever work a real job again. Something I learned forty years ago; Make lists. Make a list of the AB&C things that you want to do. Not what the wife wants you to do, what you want to do. Long term and short term. What little thing can you do to make way towards the big thing. I happen to be in a more free situation as of late and I need to adhere to my own advice. Don't submerge in busy work. Leave a mark.

JohnMOhio
04-19-2019, 08:56
Sam, I guess it come down to this since your so much in demand. Write down each task, and label it in the order of most important first. Include those that can't wait or are time sensitive, such as making dinner on time. What you get done from the top of the list was the most important and that is the way it is.

For me, what Mama wants is first priority. Somehow, it all eventually gets done. If not today, then the next day or so.There is no hurry, it will be there for you.

Merc
04-19-2019, 08:58
I got an "early out" from the postal service. I prayed for that. At 53 yrs of age I was a going concern for the first three years. I(still relatively strong)dug four feet down and replaced my sewer drain line and replaced the "paper" line with pvc. Removed invading trees. Hiked, camped. Went drinking with friends. But when I started to have wine with lunch I figured I was getting too French and decided to look for work. Best thing ever. I never intended to be there that long. At 63 it kind of hit me; time to start really being retired. The company called me back for a brief period, but I doubt I'll ever work a real job again. Something I learned forty years ago; Make lists. Make a list of the AB&C things that you want to do. Not what the wife wants you to do, what you want to do. Long term and short term. What little thing can you do to make way towards the big thing. I happen to be in a more free situation as of late and I need to adhere to my own advice. Don't submerge in busy work. Leave a mark.

I enjoyed reading about your early retirement because I also retired early at age 55, but I never went back to work, unless you consider being a local judge of elections on Election Day twice a year for 10 years a job. I oversaw Obama’s election twice (worst experience) and Trump’s election (best experience). I retired from that in 2017. I carry a pocket calendar to keep on top of my life. I refuse to give in to the various ailments that comes with the aging process and look forward to each day. My interests go in many directions, as all the regulars here know, and I allow them to occupy most of my waking hours. I try to stay healthy and active although it’s been tough since 2009 when atrial fib and arthritis started to become problematic and Valley Fever nearly killed me in 2013. All is well now.

S.A. Boggs
04-20-2019, 02:10
Since I have always been an early riser my day usually starts between 0330 and 0400. Ritual is to put the coffee on and let the dogs out, during the cold months tend to the wood stoves. Make my breakfast at 0600 to 0700 and then clean up. Sunday is Sun Rise Service @ Church so I will skip breakfast to have it at Church before Sunday School. Ordered a 9,000 watt dual fuel generator at TSC [sold out due to recent power outages in my area] and sold my current 4,000 to a buddy of mind who wanted and needed one. Dwarf trees coming in to pot, more strawberry plants as well. Today will be outfitting myself with a new tackle box and that which goes into it, on Monday going to our local DNR to buy my discounted fishing license. Did I forget to mention joining Wolf in an afternoon siesta?:1948::hello:
Sam

Allen
04-20-2019, 04:07
Since I have always been an early riser my day usually starts between 0330 and 0400.

That's not early riser---that's insomnia.

The problem with starting your day early is you have to go to bed early too but that's just my 2 cents worth--I'm a night owl.

JB White
04-20-2019, 05:18
I went the early out route some years back. After being diagnosed with Meniers my union gave me my full pension with no penalty for going early.
Tried to stay busy helping neighbors and catching up on all the busman's holidays I blew off during my working days. Tough to do when you're struggling to maintain balance day in and day out.
Got involved with charity work and that keeps me busy now. Currently serving on two district e-boards.

The day I officially retired I tossed away my wristwatch. No more clock watching for me. The best part is I can work my own pace without anyone screaming at me about schedules and manhours. Can't get fired from being retired.

Merc
04-20-2019, 06:22
I don’t know why, but I can never sleep more than 6 hours per night. Does anyone else have that internal alarm clock?

S.A. Boggs
04-20-2019, 06:44
I don’t know why, but I can never sleep more than 6 hours per night. Does anyone else have that internal alarm clock?

+1
Sam

Allen
04-20-2019, 07:22

My wife is like that now. She retired 1n 1995 when I took the refinery job.

In my case though, with the refinery job, we worked 12hr rotating shifts which with the travel time and etc amounted to a 15hr chunk of the day gone not leaving much time for sleep which was usually only 4 to 5hrs a day/night. After nearly 20 years this affected my health including eye strain which resulted in double vision while driving (fun, especially when entering a tunnel). Now, I guess my body is trying to make up for it because I sleep too much now.

kj47
04-20-2019, 10:01
To bed by 11:00, rise by 5:30 most nights. Once in a while more, all depends on the amount of coffee. Max should be 2 cups in the am.