PDA

View Full Version : Scorpions

Allen
04-29-2019, 09:32
The mention of scorpions came up in a recent thread about palm trees.

In the semi-tropical region that I live in we have to put up with a lot of crap--scorpions not being one of them.

I know they live in hot and dry areas, my grandfather was stung in the foot by one and always talked about the pain and how bad his foot swelled up. I know some are quite small while others get about as big as a crawfish.

So here come the questions: What do you do about them? How to protect children playing in the yard from them? How much worse is the sting than that of a wasp? Do you kill them with bug spray or call exterminators? If your house is not on a slab are they bad about living underneath them and in sheds? Do they have any natural enemies?

Sunray
04-29-2019, 10:09
All of that will depend on the critter. Most are not fatal to humans. Put on your boots and go here. In Alabama you have nothing to worry about though. The assorted snakes will get you first. snicker.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/invertebrates/group/scorpions/
https://www.pestworld.org/pest-guide/occasional-invaders/scorpions/

S.A. Boggs
04-29-2019, 10:46
I have a simple thing when I am on the tractor, shoot every snake that is not black or green in my AO. I have rattlers and copperheads to deal with, having said that the worst are the yellow jacket nests! I doubt a flamethrower would bother them in the slightest!
Sam

Roadkingtrax
04-29-2019, 10:49
Get a cat.

Scorpions glow when illuminated with a black light. They aren't really a big deal.

Allen
04-29-2019, 11:10
I have a simple thing when I am on the tractor, shoot every snake that is not black or green in my AO. I have rattlers and copperheads to deal with, having said that the worst are the yellow jacket nests! I doubt a flamethrower would bother them in the slightest!
Sam

Agree with the snakes. Green snakes have become somewhat rare--tried to buy a couple when my kids were young with no luck. My neighbors father was killed by yellow jackets. They live in the ground usually and you don't know you're on them till it's too late. My wife also got attacked by them while mowing grass--got stung about 8 times before she could run. When I find them I look for the hole in the ground where they are coming from. Later, at night when they are kinda dormant I take a plastic bottle full of gasoline and plug the hole with it, the open end being down and pouring of course. Bumble bees, the same way, and my wife was attacked by them too while on a mower. They make huge nest underground.

What would concern me if I lived in scorpion country is getting one inside the house.

Allen
04-29-2019, 11:21
All of that will depend on the critter. Most are not fatal to humans. Put on your boots and go here. In Alabama you have nothing to worry about though. The assorted snakes will get you first. snicker.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/invertebrates/group/scorpions/
https://www.pestworld.org/pest-guide/occasional-invaders/scorpions/

Thanks for the links. I guess my grandfather was stung by one of those Arizona Bark models.

Former Cav
04-29-2019, 12:54
The arizona tree bark scorpion can KILL you. The others out here (6 species I am told of around the Phoenix area, one of which is the tree bark scorpion) will hurt like a wasp sting. Benedryl is your friend.

You don't put your hands where you can't see what is there.
You don't play in bushes ...trimming them etc without gloves.
We also have brown recluses and of course black widow spiders here as well. Snakes too!
I watch were I step, wear shoes, and don't let tree branches brush your roof as the critters crawl off the tree, onto your roof, them come in your bathroom fan vents etc.
oh, and BTW.... diamond back rattlers can SWIM. Had one sun bathing in my pool on a 107 degree day once, scooped him out with my pool net and dropped it off in the wild (back when there was a desert wash on the other side of my wall).
If you don't have a dog, cat or kids, you can sprinkle pool diametacious earth around your foundation and the particles are sharp and will kill scorpions. A bug guy told me this.

Merc
04-29-2019, 02:57
Maybe Dryheat or other AZ natives will see this and comment. The high deserts of Arizona are home to a wide variety of wildlife that would amaze most of us non-desert people. The Ace hardware store in Carefree has several scorpions in an aquarium at the check-out counter. They must make interesting pets. The backyard wildlife show begins around dusk. Scorpions, tarantulas and a wide variety of snakes come out. The horse people leave water for the horses that attracts mule deer. The rabbits come to eat leftover hay and the pack rats look for food or something cool to carry off. Coyotes, bobcats, hawks and owls wander through the yard to hunt the rats and rabbits. The quail come and go. Rarely see them fly, always running. Roadrunners too. Havolina are less common, but occasionally make an appearance.

barretcreek
04-29-2019, 04:45
Had a GF in Cave Creek. Dogs were raising hell out on the deck, yearling cougar was on the other side of the fence. We'd sit in the bathtub, looking out the picture window at quail, javelina, and the scrawniest coyotes I ever seen. One of the old hard drives has a video of the wash beyond her yard looking like the junction of the Ohio where it joins the Mississippi. Spur Cross is an incredible journey into the long gone Sonoran Desert.

dryheat
04-29-2019, 05:42
I have been lucky only to have seen a few scorpions up close. They creep me out. I had a buddy and a girlfriend that built homes in the boulder pile mtn's near here. Those rock piles must have been home to thousands of scorpions. They found them in their houses often. The buddy got stung twice. Said it was like putting your finger in a light socket for a couple of days. He purchased some special insecticide, the regular stuff didn't work on them.

Merc
04-29-2019, 05:46
Had a GF in Cave Creek. Dogs were raising hell out on the deck, yearling cougar was on the other side of the fence. We'd sit in the bathtub, looking out the picture window at quail, javelina, and the scrawniest coyotes I ever seen. One of the old hard drives has a video of the wash beyond her yard looking like the junction of the Ohio where it joins the Mississippi. Spur Cross is an incredible journey into the long gone Sonoran Desert.

My sister also lived in Cave Creek. I’ve been there many times. Quite a place. Had a great view of Black Mountain. The coyotes in the old neighborhood are very scrawny and rough looking. The eastern coyote looks almost wolf-like and altogether different than their western brothers.

There’s a bar in Cave Creek called Harold’s Corral that’s one of the largest Steelers bar I’ve ever seen.

retread12345
04-29-2019, 05:47
Been in Phx over 40 years . I live in an established area that were cultivated as cotton and . sorghum for near a century . NO problem with scorpions . New developed areas are built over virgin desert, and what are called " Scorpion Belts" . Really no way to eradicate them except with a size 10 boot

dryheat
04-30-2019, 12:16
I have seen one on the place in the thirty years I've lived here. It was drowned in the pool and blew in with the wind for all I know. But I live 5 miles from Scorpion Mountain. Gila monsters too(ooh,scary). I believe they can live anywhere, at least around here. I pulled up an old beam laying out the perimeter of an old abandoned place. That might have been the first one I had seen. One time I pulled a rock off a bluff and underneath was a little yellow scorpion hanging on the face. The lesson I've taken from seeing scorpions crawling up the stairs is don't build on virgin rocky desert land unless your not in a non-scorpion belt. Or your good with animals.

Merc, you haven't seen a coyote up in Flagstaff in winter. I had one run across from me. It ran out in a farm field. If it wasn't wolf looking, it was really,really big fox.

Allen
04-30-2019, 05:20
Gila monsters too(ooh,scary).

I used to hear about those all the time when I was a kid but not any more. We don't have those here.

Coyote's we have plenty of--they resemble a scranny German Shepard with a long tail. It is mostly their wicked, strange behavior that sets them apart.

We have all the swamp wildlife, black bears, black panthers (4 legged type), bobcats and many others plus every type snake in the world. What isn't native already some A-hole will release his "pet" and they take over.

Most anything that can bare 300 days a year of rain and not drown will live here since our winters are mild.

Though we are fortunate to not have scorpions and giant lizards in a natural form here we do have these little bast*rds called red velvet ants (cow ants). They are actually wingless wasp and have a stinger >1/4". Their bodies are tough and hard to kill. The good thing is they are bright and colorful so seeing them before stepping on them is normal. That is not my hand in the picture.

Merc
04-30-2019, 05:48
While we’re talking about pests, it’s hard to overlook deer ticks. The number of cases of Lime Disease in PA grows every year. I had it and so have several people I know. The deer tick is very small and its bite usually goes unnoticed. The aftermath usually includes flu-like symptoms and a big hard red target shaped welt at the sight. Complications can be severe if left untreated.

While in Gettysburg a few years ago, I left my car door open for a few minutes near a field and had about 6 dog ticks enter the car and we’re crawling around. They’re about the size of a ladybug so they’re easy to spot. It took me about 15 minutes to find them all. I stopped at a convenience store and bought some repellent with DEET so any that we’re left in the car would leave me alone. That was the trip that the deer tick got me.

Emri
04-30-2019, 06:52
Is there ANY place where they do NOT have cockroaches? Some of them around here are big enough to throw a saddle on and ride.

Merc
04-30-2019, 09:38
Is there ANY place where they do NOT have cockroaches? Some of them around here are big enough to throw a saddle on and ride.

Aren’t they also known as palmetto bugs?

Vern Humphrey
04-30-2019, 09:58
We have scorpions in Arkansas -- my wife has been stung twice. Both times, she piled clothes on the bathroom counter, and when she went to pick them up, there was the scorpion.

Allen
04-30-2019, 10:04
Aren’t they also known as palmetto bugs?

Yes but not what we call them here.

https://www.orkin.com/cockroaches/difference-between-a-cockroach-and-a-palmetto-bug

- - - Updated - - -

I've worked with co-workers from Montano and Oregon that were not use to seeing large bugs (like our roaches) and having bugs buzz their face (gnats). No doubt they have bugs but because of the long winters they don't see near as many.

- - - Updated - - -

We have scorpions in Arkansas -- my wife has been stung twice. Both times, she piled clothes on the bathroom counter, and when she went to pick them up, there was the scorpion.

Getting way too close to Alabama for that. I guess here they would just drown.

Sunray
04-30-2019, 10:38
"...Thanks for the links..." No sweat. It's mostly about knowing thine enemy. Used to wear CF parade boots when out and about(not oot and aboot either. Nobody says that here. They only do that in Scotland.) as a young buck and ran into a small, 6 or 8 inch snapping turtle(Saw one in the 60's that filled the bottom of a 50 gallon drum.). Put my foot near his face and he tried to remove it. Didn't bother my boot at all. Neither will a scorpion.

dryheat
05-01-2019, 12:52
This whole thread is a little desha vu or something. I got up real early a couple mornings ago and decided to go on a hike to the river to try and get a sunrise picture. I noted all the spider webs I saw in the bushes. The kind that are spread out and look like a trampoline with a funnel hole in the center. When I got back I had a little itchy spot on the knuckle of my right thumb. One of those things that take a while to make its self noticed. I thought I had cut myself or something then I took a close look and I saw about five little spots. I thought some kind of thitsel had stabbed me. But the knuckle swoll up and turned red. Hurt a lot too. I put on antibiotic first and then bactene to stop the burning. I figured it's 50/50. If it's worse tomorrow, I'll take a picture of it or if it is better, good. It's better today.

Merc
05-01-2019, 01:14
My brother-in-law fell off his horse several years ago and landed butt first into a cholla cactus. He had something like 100 or more quills from his shoulders to his knees. My sister worked on him for hours with tweezers. Cholla quills have barbs on them that makes removal difficult.

dryheat
05-01-2019, 09:15
It's called jumping cholla because it seems like it has magnetic properties. Cholla needles are very thin. I've been stuck. What you don't do is try and knock the thing off with a stick; that just rolls it somewhere else. If you carry a comb, slide it under the ball and briskly lift.

Sunray
05-02-2019, 10:51
"...cockroaches?..." It's a well know fact that cockroaches will inherit the Earth. They date back at least 320 million years. We humans only been around for about 66 million years. I heard one of 'em said, "There goes the neighbourhood." His buddy said, "Maybe they'll be really dirty."

Allen
05-02-2019, 11:07
"...cockroaches?..." It's a well know fact that cockroaches will inherit the Earth. They date back at least 320 million years. We humans only been around for about 66 million years. I heard one of 'em said, "There goes the neighbourhood." His buddy said, "Maybe they'll be really dirty."

I've heard that you can not starve a cockroach. As they shrink from not eating they will shed their skin and eat it. Gross.

Allen
05-02-2019, 11:13
My brother-in-law fell off his horse several years ago and landed butt first into a cholla cactus. He had something like 100 or more quills from his shoulders to his knees. My sister worked on him for hours with tweezers. Cholla quills have barbs on them that makes removal difficult.

Some cacti are under government protection but I believe if these were on my property I would use the trusty 'ol torch on them.

Dolt
05-02-2019, 03:17
Insect sting pain index:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-colorful-pain-index-of-the-stinging-ants-bees-and-wasps-around-the-world

Allen
05-02-2019, 06:17
Insect sting pain index:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-colorful-pain-index-of-the-stinging-ants-bees-and-wasps-around-the-world

Like small tanks and fighter jets hitting us with napalm.

PWC
05-03-2019, 06:10
In Phoenix, the euclyptus tree in our front yard had scorpions; the bark scorp are small and the pain is all out of proportoon to their size. Killed several, dinner one night, wife said "Whats that?" Looked over and a 3" one was slowly crawling across the floor. The dogs never made a sound.

True, new foundation slabs will have scorps for several years. A black light flashlight will cause most scorps to flouresce at night. Interesting to see how many are on your yard. Remember, I said "most". Diatomatious Earth (pool filter stuff) to them is like broken glass to our bare feet. Sprinkle around foundations, behind refers and stoves, where pipes enter house. Works on all bugs with exoskeletons; roaches, crickets, not ants....use Amdro for them, fireants too.

Allen
05-03-2019, 07:03
I use boric acid inside the house. It won't keep a roach from entering under the door or someplace but it kills them once inside. We seldom see a roach anymore and it works on ants too. Don't know about scorpions cause we don't have any here. I'll have to look into that Diatomatious Earth stuff.