PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for the Swiss rifle- real gun talk, but kind of boring

dryheat
05-02-2019, 10:21
We've all heard the brag, "minute of angle all day". MOA is kind of the goal. Some guys can do it. Most guys who say they have achieved MOA haven't. I always said, if I ever shot MOA I'd buy a round for the bar. I don't go to bars anymore so I guess I'm free of that one. This group isn't quite MOA, but I like it.
I have been playing with reloading for my Swiss K31 and my Model 96/11. Reloading ammo is one of those things that is tedious and if you are paying attention can kill three hours just like that(at least for a slow thinking guy like me). I wanted to dial in my ammo for specific rifles so I watched some Utube vids and gave it a try. First off though,here is a picture of a target I shot with my Greek M1 Garand. Forgive the handwriting, I was squatting and writing "up hill". Shots 1,2,3 were sighting shots. (the target says, 4-8) shots 5 though 8 were with no other adjustments. I had just done a little bedding on this Greek beech stock. This is an authentic Greek Black garand. The rear sight went from 22 up to 12 up. Of course the second group just strung up. Never try to duplicate a great group.
Now to the Swiss. If you know anything about the Swiss rifles you know they are up there with the Swedes. The GP11 round is kind of magical. It is. It is built in a very special way. But the guy I was watching on Utube demonstrated how to dial in your reloads for the rifle so that the datum is right and the ogive of the bullet is right for your particular rifle. He also suggested a few loads. I tried the first one on the list since I just happened to have those components on hand (I had early problems with my reloads for the K31 drifting way off to the right).
Ta Da! I believe this is the tightest group I have ever shot. I've come close with a Swede 96. Swiss K31 with a scope(yes,scope). Always 100 yards.
Boring? Yes. It's not five shots in one ragged hole. It's four shots at 100yrds that are almost sub 1". I'm going to keep playing with this. A beautiful day in the outdoors can't be beat.

togor
05-03-2019, 04:19
Very nice! What was the shooting position?

Vern Humphrey
05-03-2019, 08:35
The Swiss rifles are known for accuracy -- good components and a little tweaking should get you to MOA fairly easily.

Sunray
05-03-2019, 10:26
"...Greek M1 Garand..." Lotta variations in barrel quality with those(or any milsurp). I'd guess yours prefers a very clean barrel. Mind you, the ammo matters too.
"...ammo for specific rifles..." Commercial factory, milsurp or hand loads? It matters. You try a box of as many brands as you can for commercial and milsurp. Handloads you work up for a specific rifle.
"...done a little bedding..." How you did that matters too. It's not the same as other rifles. There is a how to in the 'Accurising' manual .pdf found here. Note the need for the provided UN & PW. http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/

barretcreek
05-03-2019, 10:52
Which GP11 video? Swiss chambers seem to vary widely; I am tempted to send my die back to Hornady with a few fired cases to avoid overworking the brass.

dryheat
05-03-2019, 11:40
This vid. A little long winded like a lot of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmlLXary7ss

I was shooting "off the bench". It's a rickety old folding table that I keep in the bed of the truck. By the way, the bullets were some expensive 168 gr. Nosler BTHP./ 44 gr. of Accurate 2520. Up til now all my other recipes(involving Hodgden power) printed good groups that were always 5" right of where I was aiming. Mysterious.

bdm
05-03-2019, 12:26
I have a load i worked up for my model 96 and 38 Swedish Mauser i use for target shooting and hunting Serra 140 gr SBT 37.8 grs of IMR 4895 powder Remington primers very accurate load for that bullet I want to get a K31 these rifles shoot amazing groups even with factory bullets

dryheat
05-03-2019, 01:29
All I play with now are Swede and Swiss. I've gotten rid of every other kind of milsurp I had. I'm going to keep a couple Garands.