PDA

View Full Version : The Vomlet

togor
05-06-2019, 05:17
https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/05/vomelet-bad-mre-omelet-military.html

Entertaining article about a veggie-cheese-omlet MRE, which had a 4 year run during the Iraq war.

dryheat
05-06-2019, 08:20
I actually bought some MRE's at a garage sale. I tried one threw the other three away, but kept that cool little bottle of Tabasco.

Art
05-06-2019, 09:24
I actually bought some MRE's at a garage sale. I tried one threw the other three away, but kept that cool little bottle of Tabasco.

+1.

The "egg brick" is absolutely the worst ration, no make that the worst long term storage food, canned, freeze dried, powdered, whatever, I've ever eaten. Our son gave us some MREs that included one of the above mentioned veggie omlet and I swear I couldn't choke it down. I've eaten some pretty good MREs and some not so great MREs but these are horrible beyond belief. The worst C-Rats are beluga caviar compared to that garbage. I'm amazed they ever got into production....gag.

PWC
05-06-2019, 09:48
C rats...beanie weenies, chopped ham & eggs, et on the exhaust manifold of a MRC- 107 or 108 to heat. Also held over a piece of C3 or C4. Boned chicken tasted like tuna. Added benefit of pooping cannon balls.

LURPS- chili was the best but required boiling water for the pouch.

Haven't tried the new meals. Wish they had had the current heating system earlier; just add water and chemical reaction will heat the meal. 2300 calories ler meal....ok for humping the boonies, but doc says not now.

Remember, never miss a chance to sleep, never miss a chance to fill your canteen, and never miss a chance to pee.....'cause you never know when your next chance will be.

blackhawknj
05-07-2019, 08:33
As is the case with so much military equipment and supplies, the people who design and approve them are never the end users. I was one of the 6 or 7 GIs who could eat Ham and Lima Beans.

PWC
05-07-2019, 08:53
Forgot about them....seems I remember another name for them.

Vern Humphrey
05-08-2019, 06:23

That little bottle of Tabasco dates back to Guadalcanal. The MacIlhenny, head of the clan, was an officer in the Marine Corps Reserve. On Guadalcanal, the Marines were subsisting on captured Japanese rations, and he wrote up a cookbook -- shirt pocket size. All the recipes included Tabasco sauce, of course. He had his company ship out thousands of those little bottles.

In Viet Nam, they reprinted the cook book, and the MacIlhenny company sent us those little bottles. At a time when we needed support, they were very welcome.

barretcreek
05-08-2019, 10:10
Knew MacIlhenny was at Guadalcanal but didn't know about the little bottles. Thanks.

PWC
05-08-2019, 07:29
I have one of those cookbooks from VN, and one of the how to take vare of your M-16 comic books with Sarge and Connie in less than "official" atire.

lyman
05-08-2019, 08:54
never served, so no horror stories ,

Dad was in the Army Reserve, and came home one time with a case of C rats,

as a kid I thought the small 5 pack of cigs was need, I remember saving the Lucky Strikes for my grandmother (she smoked them )

and my brother and I grabbing for the chiclets,

the peanut butter was like glue,,

the pears decent,

don't remember much else about them

blackhawknj
05-09-2019, 02:33
I often found C-rats preferable to "Class A" rations. No mess kit to wash, no surly cook handing out "mystery meat", no arguing over portions....

dryheat
05-09-2019, 10:38
My dad worked at the "salvage yard" on the army base near Fairbanks. Occasionally, he would bring home something. I took the C-rats out in the woods to try out. The peanut butter was just a little less concrete than concrete. The crackers were OK for dried out crackers. The pound cake, or whatever that was, kind of reminded me of that Christmas bread thing. I smoked the little packs of cigs(by god, they probably were Luck Strikes). I pretended I was some cool secret agent. I have smoked but have never gotten the nicotine addiction. The fun part was building a little fire and heating up the cans of stew.

PWC
05-09-2019, 10:52
Ahhh......pound cake.....open the can, bend the top back into a handle.....pour the creamer powder or 2, add cocoa powder, add water to top of can and set in coals, or over C3 or C4. It'll bubble and giggle and fart....top will carmelize and cake will soften. Closest thing to Sarah Lee you'll find in the woods.