PDA

View Full Version : Late planting

S.A. Boggs
05-07-2019, 02:20
With the flooding of Midwest farm land, wonder what this will do to the cost of food?
Sam

lyman
05-07-2019, 05:10
maybe a short term spike in perishables,

but isn't most of the midwest Soybean, Corn and Wheat?

all are grown for ingredients, not farm to table correct? (as in oils, flours etc)

S.A. Boggs
05-07-2019, 07:28
maybe a short term spike in perishables,

but isn't most of the midwest Soybean, Corn and Wheat?

all are grown for ingredients, not farm to table correct? (as in oils, flours etc)

Bread ingredients spiking perhaps?
Sam

Sako
05-07-2019, 08:58
Corn , wheat and soy beans have so much crop carry over from last year it wouldn't make much price difference.

lyman
05-07-2019, 09:45
Corn , wheat and soy beans have so much crop carry over from last year it wouldn't make much price difference.

what I was thinking, ,

if it affects 'garden veg' then can food prices may spike just a tid bit, but doubt it,

but all that depends on Mother Nature and how she acts through the year

Sunray
05-07-2019, 10:51
Soybean, corn and wheat products are in an enormous number of food products. Everything from margarine to beer has at least something in it made from those three. Soy flour or protein is used in latex type (water based) paints as well as food.
It's entirely possible that crops like sweet corn for "on the cob" just won't happen. Takes 60 to 100 days for that to reach harvest. The ground has to be warm enough too. It's 58 days to 4 July.

lyman
05-07-2019, 12:56
there have been instances, beyond recalls for issues, of table crops being delayed, damaged etc due to Mother Nature,

usually it just resulted in a lack of available veggies for a time period,

thing is the affected area is not that big, if you compare it to just the farmland in the US,
add Canada, South America, Mexico etc, and it is even a smaller percentage,,

S.A. Boggs
05-08-2019, 03:04
What is America's food reserve, the ability to feed our people? I have read that America is 9 meals [3 days] from panic, is this true?
Sam

Allen
05-08-2019, 05:12
What is America's food reserve, the ability to feed our people?

If it is run like all the other government agency's then NO, it is to feed all the world except OUR people.

Major Tom
05-08-2019, 07:25
In my area, S.E. Iowa, some farmers have already planted despite all our rain. Our 'home garden' won't be planted till at least after Mother's Day.

lyman
05-08-2019, 10:26
What is America's food reserve, the ability to feed our people? I have read that America is 9 meals [3 days] from panic, is this true?
Sam

based on what?

what is in the avg pantry?

most well stocked grocery stores can end deliveries and still feed folks for a good bit,
perishables maybe a few days, but the supply of canned and dry foods will last much longer

S.A. Boggs
05-08-2019, 11:53
based on what?

what is in the avg pantry?

most well stocked grocery stores can end deliveries and still feed folks for a good bit,
perishables maybe a few days, but the supply of canned and dry foods will last much longer

That is mu question, what is what and based on what? Some local stores only get a delivery every three days and then the majority of canned food is out. Many times at stores once the front row of stock is gone, nothing is in back of the shelf...empty. I was just wondering if "something" unknown happens what is there to feed the American population?
Sam

lyman
05-08-2019, 12:11
That is mu question, what is what and based on what? Some local stores only get a delivery every three days and then the majority of canned food is out. Many times at stores once the front row of stock is gone, nothing is in back of the shelf...empty. I was just wondering if "something" unknown happens what is there to feed the American population?
Sam

must be an issue with management and ordering, or they are trying to be a bit too much 'just in time' ordering,
if they are fronting the shelf (pulling the cans forward, nothing behind, also called Bluffing) then they have a shrink issue, or too tight a budget for replacements,

unless of course the distributor is out, which will happen from time to time on some types of canned goods