PDA

View Full Version : Things are finally changing at the CMP

RED
05-08-2019, 06:48
I have said for years that the CMP has been abused by scalawags that made a business out of buying and selling CMP items for a profit. That was/is not the purpose of the program and is the main reason they are down to scraping the bottom of the barrel to find usable guns.

IT HAS BEEN BOUGHT TO OUR ATTENTION THAT SOME CUSTOMERS ARE RECEIVING THEIR 1911 AND POSTING ON GUN BROKER AND OTHER SUCH SITES FOR RESALE... IF FOUND TO BE RESELLING THESE PISTOLS YOU WILL BE BANNED FROM PURCHASING FROM THE CMP FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD.

Major Tom
05-08-2019, 07:17
Yes, it only takes a few 'bad apples' to ruin it all for the honest person.

Roadkingtrax
05-08-2019, 07:30
This policy is specific regarding 1911s. As a requirement of the transfer from the US Army, they must prove they are not used in a crime. I wonder if this is really the reason they'd like to keep tabs on them.

When is it your personal property? I guess the CMP decides that for you in this case. My lottery number is so high, I'll be waiting on the next batch if ever it comes.

USMilitaryGuy
05-10-2019, 03:08
This policy is specific regarding 1911s. As a requirement of the transfer from the US Army, they must prove they are not used in a crime. I wonder if this is really the reason they'd like to keep tabs on them.

When is it your personal property? I guess the CMP decides that for you in this case. My lottery number is so high, I'll be waiting on the next batch if ever it comes.

Usually it is your "personal property" right after someone decides to sell it to you and you pay for it.

The issue is whether they decide to sell it to you - or not.

In this instance, it appears the CMP is going to decide who they sell to and who they don't sell to - with the added benefit of who they will sell to in the future. In my opinion, a pretty common practice in the retail world.

togor
05-10-2019, 06:09
The CMP has been up front about the added rules that will accompany the handgun sales, and why they are in place. Even one CMP M1911 found to be used in a crime could kill the program. Garands don't seem to carry the same user risk, so the CMP is comfortable acting more as a supplier into a secondary market.

lyman
05-10-2019, 07:14
The CMP has been up front about the added rules that will accompany the handgun sales, and why they are in place. Even one CMP M1911 found to be used in a crime could kill the program. Garands don't seem to carry the same user risk, so the CMP is comfortable acting more as a supplier into a secondary market.

this,

and remember, the sales are for marksmanship,,,

and it is likely a percentage will be used in Games matches at Perry, Anniston, or local matches, however the sales are mostly to promote and fund the games, training etc that the CMP does (that a lot do not see)

if they stuck to the one a lifetime of the old DCM (who were federally funded) they would be nowhere, if not closed, since the sales would be a very small percentage of what it is now,

not to mention a lot of the shooting sports (National Matches may have survived) would not exist (Garand, Springfield, Vintage etc matches)

I may order my limit in the next few weeks, ,,, now that I think about it

Sunray
05-10-2019, 10:15
"...the main reason they are down to scraping the bottom of the barrel..." Is because the barrel is not bottomless. There are a finite number of U.S. milsurps, of any kind, in decent enough condition to sell in the first place. The days of there being warehouses full of 'em are long gone. Eventually the CMP will sell out and there will be nothing to sell.
"...the handgun sales..." Requires a new "membership" and is being done by a completely separate organization. Plus any 191A1 that's coming from the military will be in very rough condition. Which is why they were declared surplus anyway.

lyman
05-10-2019, 10:41
"...the main reason they are down to scraping the bottom of the barrel..." Is because the barrel is not bottomless. There are a finite number of U.S. milsurps, of any kind, in decent enough condition to sell in the first place. The days of there being warehouses full of 'em are long gone. Eventually the CMP will sell out and there will be nothing to sell.
"...the handgun sales..." Requires a new "membership" and is being done by a completely separate organization. Plus any 191A1 that's coming from the military will be in very rough condition. Which is why they were declared surplus anyway.

not necessarily,

rebuilt a few times, yes, but not all will be beaters, (there 3 grades)

any that are pristine will eventually hit the auction side

RED
05-10-2019, 03:33
There were guys that bought hundreds of Garands from the CMP and resold them. They weren’t collectors, they were doing it to make a profit and that was NOT the purpose for the CMP. They were never meant to be a wholesale supplier for dealers. And, yes these cheaters and scalawags emptied the barrel prematurely. The guys that think that way are the same ones that think cheating and rigging the system is a legitimate way to conduct business.

Roadkingtrax
05-10-2019, 03:36
not necessarily,

rebuilt a few times, yes, but not all will be beaters, (there 3 grades)

any that are pristine will eventually hit the auction side

The service grades I have seen have been pretty nice. If I were called, I'm not sure I would gamble on a field grade.

My understanding is that they are dipping in the lower grades now, and refusing that option to buy will require another go-around with the lottery.

Dan Shapiro
05-10-2019, 04:41
I can see the CMP concern about re-sales. Given the anti-gun antics of liberals in Congress today, all they're doing is waiting for an excuse to kill any program that sells milsurp weapons.
In the late 70's-early 80's, two San Diego PD officers where murdered by an individual who purchased his M1 thru the CMP. How do you think that would play out today?

lyman
05-10-2019, 05:49
There were guys that bought hundreds of Garands from the CMP and resold them. They weren’t collectors, they were doing it to make a profit and that was NOT the purpose for the CMP. They were never meant to be a wholesale supplier for dealers. And, yes these cheaters and scalawags emptied the barrel prematurely. The guys that think that way are the same ones that think cheating and rigging the system is a legitimate way to conduct business.

I think you are exaggerating a bit, but that's ok, we all have our opinions,

I do think a lot of folks that could swing the cash bought there limit each year, I know a few that did,

they also flipped some, but only after they went thru them with a fine tooth comb and checked all the bits and pieces for stuff they could use to 'restore' whatever they collected (by maker or year) to how it would likely have been as it left the factory,

some even tried to match finish wear so it looked like the rifle had not been toyed with,,

either way, the CMP was glad to sell them, and used the money to support the shooting sports,

I left the North store 3 times with a handful of rifles and ammo, wish I could have afforded more, but then again, I have never flipped one I bought either,,,

I have flipped some sights and slings that I had in excess,,

- - - Updated - - -

The service grades I have seen have been pretty nice. If I were called, I'm not sure I would gamble on a field grade.

My understanding is that they are dipping in the lower grades now, and refusing that option to buy will require another go-around with the lottery.

the only complaints I have heard are those that get a replacement slide,
the later model slides had the part number on the side,

for a collector of originals it may be a disappointment, I guess, but they have their own niche of collecting too

Roadkingtrax
05-10-2019, 05:57
My hope, if I were lucky enough to get one, was to use it in CMP as-issued matches and just to have the opportunity to get a USGI pistol. I'm definitely not a pistol guy, just own one.

tom gray
05-12-2019, 01:34
I was lucky to get one of the first service grades. Very nice. Dry parkerizing, needed to be wiped down with oil. I have shot it a few times and will continue to do so. No plans to sell, going to the grandkids. I hope CMP will have matches for them