PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for a home defense spray

snakehunter
05-08-2019, 09:58
It should be effective out to 30 feet.

barretcreek
05-08-2019, 10:07
3" OO buck. Only spray I can think of like that is Kimber's Pepperblaster, which in some of the totalitarian states is considered a firearm, so why bother.

I have recommended to females adverse to the responsibility of gun ownership getting a serious heavy duty fire extinguisher, either CO2 or foam, not dry chemical.. Won't have the range you want, but it is a lot nastier than some might think.

Sunray
05-08-2019, 11:10
A garden hose will easily reach 30 feet. A fire extinguisher that is not a Class 10B extinguisher(pressurized water) probably will not. Even a 10B is maxed out at 30 feet.
Either way 30 feet(10 yards) is a long way to be spraying anything. Slightest bit of wind means you miss.
And it should be 3" #4 buck. More pellets. snicker.

S.A. Boggs
05-08-2019, 11:48
I use Wasp spray.
Sam

lyman
05-08-2019, 12:13
I use Wasp spray.
Sam

this,
or a can of Brake Clean,

or a can of Bear Spray,

Mark in Ottawa
05-08-2019, 12:49
As Sam says, a can of Wasp / Hornet spray is a pretty good choice. It sprays a fairly strong stream of liquid straight out for about 10 feet. It is also a chemical that is commonly and legally sold everywhere. I suspect that if you use it as a weapon some over-zealous cop might want to charge you (depending on your jurisdiction) but as a police officer once said to me: "In the final analysis, its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

Allen
05-08-2019, 02:12
Sounds like the best ones have been suggested. In a dire emergency where 30' may not be an issue there is aerosol spray carb cleaner, Easy-off oven spray and aerosol spray paint remover (bad sh*t). Most anything will burn eyes and give an element of surprise though like Lysol spray, hair spray, bathtub spray cleaner, etc...

If you are concerned about a home intruder it's best to spray brains. Get your wife a reliable, simple little gun like a revolver that won't jam or have buttons, safety's and switches all over it, get her familiar with it and have her keep it at arms reach, whether it be the night stand or her purse. Just saying.

blackhawknj
05-08-2019, 02:21
A powerful spray bottle filled with ammonia.

bruce
05-08-2019, 07:44
Spend some money installing a good solid metal door in a metal frame w/ dead bolt locks and a interior brace. Securely bar the windows. Install cameras on the exterior. Install an alarm system and exterior security lights. Then ... go to sleep. Later, if possible, move to a locality where there will be less need to be concerned about security, etc. Sincerely. bruce.

free1954
05-09-2019, 01:10
It should be effective out to 30 feet.

I used a product made by frontiersman bear spray that shot out pretty far. be advised that stuff works both ways.

JB White
05-09-2019, 08:15
I used a product made by frontiersman bear spray that shot out pretty far. be advised that stuff works both ways.

Anything sprayed indoors always works both ways..
A good hit in the face of a bad guy will give you a headstart running away, but don't think you'll be able to stand your ground for very long.

Using wasp sprays etc only delay him and really really piss him off.. If you start spraying he'll likely put his head down and charge if he doesn't have a gun.
I've been in enough street altercations to have seen it.

S.A. Boggs
05-09-2019, 08:37
Anything sprayed indoors always works both ways..
A good hit in the face of a bad guy will give you a headstart running away, but don't think you'll be able to stand your ground for very long.

Using wasp sprays etc only delay him and really really piss him off.. If you start spraying he'll likely put his head down and charge if he doesn't have a gun.
I've been in enough street altercations to have seen it.

Spray can give a person a small window of opportunity to find a solution to the situation. On my shoulder holster is an attached can of pepper spray so as not to have the need to bring out Sigmund. @ my age/physical inability personal contact is not desirable, hence the use of pepper spray. Taking a life of any of God's creature should be a last resort and not readably contemplated. One night I almost killed 3 men in the line of duty and glad that it never happened. My son has 22 combat kills and wishes it never happened as well. I am a devout coward, pain hurts...physically as well as emotionally. I know what I am capable of doing and choose not to go there.:icon_redface::evil6:
Sam
Sam

togor
05-10-2019, 09:14
Jimmy Stewart used a Camera Flash on Raymond Burr in Rear Window. I think his stick of bulbs finally went dry. All he got for his trouble was Grace Kelly and some broken legs, poor guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oowcsynjIwc