PDA

View Full Version : The true cost of being an NRA member.

Tuna
05-12-2019, 07:53
Now that Ollie North is out someone is leaking documents. Seems old Ollie was complaining about the likes of Wayne spending $39,000 shopping in Beverly Hills for clothing at an exclusive shop in one day. Then bill the accounting agency the NRA uses for over $500,000 for his expense in less then a year. He makes over a million a year now and the main attorney for the NRA was paid over $24,000,000 for work this year alone. Ollie North was screaming about this how the NRA coffers are being drained much faster then funds can be brought in. So it seems Wayne went crying to the board which was also getting their fair share and said that Ollie was out to get him so now Ollie is gone and it's back to the trough for the good old boys at the NRA. So if you ever wonder where your NRA dues and all the money they all but demand from members goes to well now you know. If you ever get to the NRA HQ, take a few moments to check out the back parking lot. No Toyota's or such here. Cheapest cars are BMW's and some Mercedes. Now that should tell you something.

RED
05-12-2019, 08:20
Now that Ollie North is out someone is leaking documents. Seems old Ollie was complaining about the likes of Wayne spending $39,000 shopping in Beverly Hills for clothing at an exclusive shop in one day. Then bill the accounting agency the NRA uses for over $500,000 for his expense in less then a year. He makes over a million a year now and the main attorney for the NRA was paid over $24,000,000 for work this year alone. Ollie North was screaming about this how the NRA coffers are being drained much faster then funds can be brought in. So it seems Wayne went crying to the board which was also getting their fair share and said that Ollie was out to get him so now Ollie is gone and it's back to the trough for the good old boys at the NRA. So if you ever wonder where your NRA dues and all the money they all but demand from members goes to well now you know. If you ever get to the NRA HQ, take a few moments to check out the back parking lot. No Toyota's or such here. Cheapest cars are BMW's and some Mercedes. Now that should tell you something.

Yeah, the truth is the NRA blames you and me because we didn't give enough money so we are the reason Congress passed stupid laws, laws that never accomplished anything.

In 1980's, I was President of the county gun club and started a "Friends of," chapter and in the next year we raised over $20,000 for the NRA.

On one night on a work day, at 02:00,I got a call from the NRA telling me I wasn't doing enough....

togor
05-13-2019, 04:01
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/secrecy-self-dealing-and-greed-at-the-nra

An article, FWIW, that echos the above observations.

Sandpebble
05-13-2019, 04:30
Resigned from my membership two years ago ... no regrets... no looking back .

tmark
05-13-2019, 07:18
I've learned that the NRA constantly tries to solicit more and more money from me when I was a member. That is, the more you give, the more they want!

bruce
05-13-2019, 07:26
Current Life member of the NRA since 1982. No plans to change that status. Simple reason why is that there does not exist any single organization anywhere that is remotely as successful in proven effectiveness in 2nd Amendment advocacy. If I want to support a political campaign, I'll do so. I don't give to the NRA, etc., b/c they always support the candidates I support but b/c they stand up for our 2nd. Amendment rights. Sincerely. bruce.

blackhawknj
05-13-2019, 08:48
There was the shakeup at the Cincinnati Annual meeting in 1977, perhaps it's time for another.

rayg
05-14-2019, 03:17
If you can come up with any other way or organization that is as powerful as fighting the gun grabbers go for it. But I think you might have a difficult time finding one as powerful and successful as the NRA even with it's negatives. It cost money to fight to keep your gun rights. I know there are many gun grabbers or left leaning folks who to would like to see it go away. Ray

bruce
05-14-2019, 04:19
If you can come up with any other way or organization that is as powerful as fighting the gun grabbers go for it. But I think you might have a difficult time finding one as powerful and successful as the NRA even with it's negatives. It cost money to fight to keep your gun rights. I know there are many gun grabbers or left leaning folks who to would like to see it go away. Ray Precisely correct! Sincerely. bruce.

lyman
05-14-2019, 06:10
life member since about 1990,

they have done a lot of good, let a few things slide (hughes amendment, bump stocks to name a couple) buy are overall a good group,

hope they get their house in order quickly

clintonhater
05-14-2019, 07:50
I've learned that the NRA constantly tries to solicit more and more money from me when I was a member. That is, the more you give, the more they want!

Yes, I agree this seems ungrateful, but EVERY member-supported organization follows the same fund-raising strategy, because stats show that previous contributors are the ones most likely to donate again. Conservation orgs, like the Nature Conservancy, do exactly the same thing--the more you gave in the past, the more likely you'll be hit up again in the future.

But how great a "problem" is this? The envelopes containing the pleas for contributions can be identified at a glance (unless one is really stupid) & thrown away without even opening them--something I've been doing since becoming a Benefactor member decades ago. Those who say they just "can't deal" with these solicitations, how the hell do they deal with all the other junk mail everyone receives? Are they opening & reading every Publisher's Clearinghouse, or supplemental Medicare insurance, etc., solicitation they receive?

I also agree there are profound administrative problems at NRA, & that LaPierre really MUST go, but he is NOT the NRA!

Tuna
05-14-2019, 09:41
Well lets start with who has done what with the 2 amendment. The Supreme court ruled on the DC case that prevented people from have a firearm in DC. They ruled in favor of the 2nd and struck down the DC law. The NRA was upset about it because this was one of their cash cows they always used in their ads to get more money. They even filled a brief in favor of the law. Then there was Chicago. Well that law also got struck down and again the NRA cried and tried to stop it but FAILED. Then Morton's Grove collapsed. It was a landslide of laws over turned. Not one of them due to the NRA,NOT ONE!!!!! GOAL was one of the main groups behind this. Gun Owners Action League was the led but several other groups were in on this too. As they said they got tired of the NRA doing nothing so they did something and won. But those of you who defend the great NRA had better realize that the NRA is on the brink of Bankruptcy. Once they are then all of the side programs come to a halt. No insurance of any kind will remain. All programs come to a stop. No more money will come out till after the judge in the case has decided which way the bankruptcy will go. Let the NRA restructure itself and begin again or to dissolve the NRA and sell all assets to pay creditors. Right now I do not see them not going under but there is always hope. If they do then all the hogs feeding at the table will be gone. And if they don't then all of those hogs need to be kicked out of the NRA. Start at the top and work down.