PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota Elk

jon_norstog
05-14-2019, 09:42
My brothers and I have kept our grandfather’s North Dakota farm intact all these years. It is half cropland and loses money every year. T^he other half is at the headwaters of Spring Creek, just over the divide from the Little Missouri. It has several draws, (what are called “coulees” locally) a bunch of springs and seeps, beaver dams and a lot of good cover. Adjacent are about 36 sections of roadless private land, almost all of it similarly rugged grazing land.

About 50 years ago a driver was hauling a semi-load of elk from Yellowstone to some other destination. He stopped at a bar on the Ft, Berthold Reservation called the “Snake Pit”. While he was enjoying a few beers, a couple of the drunks went out in the parking lot, opened the trailer and turned the elk loose. That’s how elk became reestablished in western North Dakota.

My brothers and I went back last week for a funeral and stayed at the farm. I walked the whole place to see what had changed (a lot) and check the fences. In one of the coulees I found elk bones and a skull with at least five, probably six points on its rack. The coyotes had taken care of the carcass and the bones were pretty well scattered, but I gathered up what was left. At first I thought winterkill, but this was obviously a big, strong herd bull. I wondered if I would find an arrow, but what I found was a scapula with a bullet hole. I’m thinking someone took a shot – maybe quartering and from above – and put the bullet through the animal’s shoulder.

That is a pretty lousy place to shoot an elk, too high to hit the heart or the big blood vessels, and too much bone and muscle. It’s a shot that wounds rather than kills and even if the animal goes down it ruins a lot of meat. That was a really fine elk and it must have run quite a ways and not left much of a blood trail. I can’t see a hunter giving up on a trophy bull like that must have been.

jn

barretcreek
05-14-2019, 04:08
Glad you brought him home.

dryheat
05-14-2019, 11:23
Maybe the "hunter" might've shown up later to collect the "trophy". I ran across this kill; It was lying in the spring water, not good. The next week I went to the same spot and the antlers were cleanly cut off. The guy knew what he was doing.

I'm wondering if the shipment back then wasn't meant for Arizona. All of our elk were killed off long ago and the conservationists(as I recall) rounded up elk and re-established our herd.
Back home. When I returned home from bootcamp I found this place called the steak pit. Me, being a youngster was attracted to the place. My dear old stepmom called it the Snake Pit.

jon_norstog
05-15-2019, 01:52
Maybe the "hunter" might've shown up later to collect the "trophy". ....

The hunter was two winters late. All the bones I found had been gnawed by coyotes, and the antler ends were gnawed off; why I think the rack might've been a six. The beam was thick as my wrist!