PDA

View Full Version : Classic Cars and Seat Belts

tmark
05-15-2019, 07:32
If I had a classic car from the fifties or sixties when no seat belts were required by law, would I be required to have them now, that is, have seat belts installed to legally drive the car?

Marty T.
05-15-2019, 08:36
No. They are considered as "as manufactured" and therefore not required.

RCS
05-16-2019, 09:51
My 1965 Dodge had factory seat belts, they still work too

Allen
05-16-2019, 10:23

That's about the time I started seeing them. I think at the time it was voluntary or perhaps an option. School buses to this day don't have them that I know of except for the driver's seat.

Sunray
05-16-2019, 10:58
Depends on what Delaware has to say about it. Like everything else State laws are different.
Delaware appears not to care what vehicle you're driving, seat belts are required. Best you contact 'em and ask.
https://ohs.delaware.gov/seatbelts.shtml
"...School buses to this day..." Only some of 'em. When I upgrade my DL and drove school buses briefly, long ago, Public Board buses did. Separate(Catholic) Board buses did not. Transport Canada(Federal) says there's no need because, "Compartmentalization allows children to be protected by high back seats..." Yep. Had a kid standing instead of sitting one time. That high backed seated bounced him well.

Allen
05-16-2019, 11:10
Transport Canada(Federal) says there's no need because, "Compartmentalization allows children to be protected by high back seats..." Yep. Had a kid standing instead of sitting one time. That high backed seated bounced him well.

The high back seats have always been an excuse. If legitimate then autos would not be required to have seat belts in the back seats. Most all newer cars have high back front seats.

What the states and county are saying is: "do what I say, not what I do".

Also, by not wearing a seat belt your insurance co. can get out of paying medical claims. Kinda makes you wonder who pushed the requirement into "law".

JimF
05-16-2019, 11:22
Belts were optional on ‘65 Mustang . . . .standard on ‘66.

bdm
05-16-2019, 12:28
I would like to have them in been in a few crashes its nice to stay in the seat when someone hits you i worked accident reconstruction before i retired seen a lot of accidents with out seat belts you get hurt bounced around inside the car

togor
05-16-2019, 06:15

1965 Dodge what? Photo?

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on what Delaware has to say about it. Like everything else State laws are different.
Delaware appears not to care what vehicle you're driving, seat belts are required. Best you contact 'em and ask.
https://ohs.delaware.gov/seatbelts.shtml
"...School buses to this day..." Only some of 'em. When I upgrade my DL and drove school buses briefly, long ago, Public Board buses did. Separate(Catholic) Board buses did not. Transport Canada(Federal) says there's no need because, "Compartmentalization allows children to be protected by high back seats..." Yep. Had a kid standing instead of sitting one time. That high backed seated bounced him well.

Seat belts in school buses are manifestly impractical.

RCS
05-17-2019, 06:45

This Dodge Coronet 500 came with factory seat belts. Engine is 361 original but rebuilt about 20 years ago

togor
05-17-2019, 09:31
I love the old Coronets! Thx for the pic. 2 or 4 barrels on that carb? Nothing wrong with a 2-barrel for cruising, and it helps with the gas mileage a little.

My first car as a kid was a '69 Monaco with a 383 and 2-barrel carb. Some body rust from the Milwaukee winters, but I got 6 good years and a lifetime of memories out of it before selling it.

Speaking of seat belts, my brother and I took that Monaco out west for some backpacking and had some long miles on the interstate. Well the seats were wide enough so that a guy could just lay out on the back seat and sleep, no problem. The guy in front had a lap belt, and he could pull down the shoulder belt if he wanted, but in those days they weren't the spring-loaded spooling kind and hence not user-friendly. Once in awhile in the right dream I'm back in that car, but it's pretty rusty and I have to baby it to get around, LOL.

Sunray
05-17-2019, 10:42
"...who pushed the requirement into "law"..." LBJ in 1968.
Transport Canada talks about the high back seats being padded. That kid bounced nicely off the padding. Nothing like applied physics.