PDA

View Full Version : May 27, 1941

JohnMOhio
05-27-2019, 08:08
Crippled by British aircraft, the state-of-the-art German battleship Bismarck was pursued and sunk by three British warships. Several days earlier, the Bismarck had sunk the British battle cruiser HMS Hood. Only three of the Hood's 1,421 sailors survived.

Sunray
05-28-2019, 10:56
"...sunk by three British warships..." HMS Dorsetshire, 'County' class heavy cruiser fired the torpedoes that sank the Bismarck. Dorsetshire was sunk by Japanese torpedo aircraft 5 April, 1942.
Now I'm going to have the friggin' Johnny Horton song in my head the rest of the day. Geez! snicker.

Allen
05-28-2019, 11:09
After sinking the Hood and not picking up survivors Churchill made an all out effort to find and destroy the Bismarck.

Nov. 12, 1944 the Bismarck's sister ship, the Tirpitz was found hiding and bombed by British Lancaster bombers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_battleship_Tirpitz

Vern Humphrey
05-28-2019, 05:33
"...sunk by three British warships..." HMS Dorsetshire, 'County' class heavy cruiser fired the torpedoes that sank the Bismarck. Dorsetshire was sunk by Japanese torpedo aircraft 5 April, 1942.
Now I'm going to have the friggin' Johnny Horton song in my head the rest of the day. Geez! snicker.

The man who wrote that song, James Morris (AKA Jimmy Driftwood) lived right here in Stone County, Arkansas. He was a school teacher at Timbo. He also wrote The Battle of New Orleans.

blackhawknj
05-28-2019, 05:53
The sortie of theBismarck and the Prinz Eugen was a good example of how not to do it. No air cover, of course, Luetjens forgot to top off his fuel tanks, the oil they lost from the Prince of Wales hit on Bismarck's bows cost them heavily.

Sunray
05-29-2019, 09:49
"...and not picking up survivors..." Winston wasn't there and there were only 3 survivors that at the time nobody knew about.
After 3 hours on a ship's raft and about to pass out from hypothermia, the 3 survivors were rescued by HMS Electra.