PDA

View Full Version : Subgun 2000

Griff Murphey
06-10-2019, 09:10
I never would have considered getting one of these but my college rifle team buddy of 48 years ago said I had to have one. He shoots and wins a lot in IPSC and IDPA matches which have carbine shoots. I thought it might make a good fun informal practice/plinking gun with 9mm being fairly inexpensive these days. Also much less valuable than other guns I might consider for travel.

First impressions it’s almost toylike... not easy to put optics on it with the folding feature (swing mounts are available) and high front and rear sights would likely block many optic setups... crummy trigger. And VERY hard to cock... shoe works best!

Your comments and recommendations?!

Sunray
06-10-2019, 10:19
Take the optics off. Neither subguns nor carbines work well with 'em. Buggers up the balance.
I wouldn't expect much out of any Kel-Tec either.

Emri
06-11-2019, 06:57
They are quite popular guns. We have sold a lot of them. Earlier ones had issues, but that has been resolved now. Customers report how much fun they have with them. 9mm is very reasonable now, as low as $10 bx. in some places. We have not had ANY brought in with complaints or problems. Get one and have fun with it.

Emri

Art
06-11-2019, 12:20
Kel Tech is an interesting outfit. Way out ahead of the curve and make a lot of "niche" items which results in great rewards when they hit it right and great loss when they don't. It says something that the little guns can be pretty hard to find

The current Sub Gun 2000s get very favorable reviews and there is at least one person I know who keeps one permanently in the trunk of his car. I imagine they're also great back packing guns. Car gun and back pack gun or other applications where compactness is paramount seem to be the most popular applications of these little carbines. I briefly toyed with the idea of getting one but really don't have a use for them. I can certainly see how a lot of folks would though.

Griff Murphey
06-11-2019, 07:22
I have plenty of better guns... I just bought this one on a lark mainly as a fun plinker gun. Agree it's non traditional and every gun mentioned in comparison is (yep) better. This one has the advantages of being cheap, using cheap ammo, is not a collector item, and is worthy of being roughly used if need be. If it's no fun I know I can get my money out of it.

Looking for hints and tips...

lyman
06-14-2019, 06:19
bought and sold a handful of them over the past couple years,

none had dots on them, but like you said the mounts are out there and easy to use

biggest improvement I have seen is an aftermarket cocking knob, that allowed 2 fingers for a better pull,

IIRC you can get other aftermarket parts as well to customize as you see fit

Griff Murphey
08-03-2019, 04:40
Well I finally got out to the range and had a short workout with the Sub 2000. I quite enjoyed the shoot, the gun was zeroed from the get go and I had no problem cleaning off the falling plates at 35 yards. Pleasant to shoot, recoil is actually more than I would have expected off the bench but unnoticeable in offhand. Not a National Match trigger by any means but you can get used to it. My club restricts all rifles to being loaded with 5 rds max at any one time but my brief 50 rd test demonstrated 100 pct reliability.

Very fun recreational plinker suitable for small game and use as a homeowner protection arm at an economical price.