PDA

View Full Version : anybody warranty out a Ruger

Former Cav
06-15-2019, 11:55
I have a GP100 in 44 special that I just bought in Sept.
I've shot maybe 300 rounds through it.
the cylinder quit turning (probably the hand) and it has bound up.
Are they good on their warranties or what?
TIA

bruce
06-15-2019, 12:13
Call them. Doubtless they will repair it. Sincerely. bruce.

jcg&jmbfan
06-15-2019, 08:22
I will be surprised if you aren't well taken care of.

JimF
06-16-2019, 04:29
. . . . . .the cylinder quit turning (probably the hand) and it has bound up. . . . .

I’m sure you have checked, but . . . .

Is there any build-up of “schmutz” on the face of the cylinder?

I’ve found that when the barrel/cylinder gap is less than .006”, my cylinder will “schmutz-bind” when using lead bullets at moderate velocity.

Allen
06-16-2019, 05:47
It's been years ago but a friend of mine was given a new Ruger Blackhawk by a member of his family as a gift. When shooting, each bullet would hit about 1" lower than the previous shot. In other words if shooting at a target there would be 6 holes spaced in a straight line 1" apart from each other. He sent the pistol back to Ruger and they did in fact duplicate the problem. They offered him a new replacement pistol and he said no, that it was a gift and he wanted THAT very pistol fixed. They replaced the barrel and cylinder and did some other "gunsmithing" that they didn't elaborate on and returned the gun to the owner. The pistol shot normal after the fix and he was happy. Hopefully they are still this accommodating.

Sako
06-17-2019, 04:57
I have a GP100 in 44 special that I just bought in Sept.
I've shot maybe 300 rounds through it.
the cylinder quit turning (probably the hand) and it has bound up.
Are they good on their warranties or what?
TIA

My son had a similar experience with a ruger and the dealer sent it back to ruger , it was correctly fixed and returned. Good service.

lyman
06-17-2019, 07:48
Ruger does folks right,

just call them, tell them what happened, and send it to the repair facility they tell you to (they have several),

no need to get a dealer involved unless they tell you to or if is some state law in your area

Sunray
06-18-2019, 10:23
One assumes you gave it a really good bath before deciding it's damaged.
"..."gunsmithing" that they didn't elaborate on..." Ruger will return the thing to 'as it came out of the factory'. Any aftermarket stuff, including new springs, will be removed and not returned to the owner.
Otherwise, look here.
https://www.ruger.com/service/partsService.html

Allen
06-18-2019, 11:20
One assumes you gave it a really good bath before deciding it's damaged.
"..."gunsmithing" that they didn't elaborate on..." Ruger will return the thing to 'as it came out of the factory'. Any aftermarket stuff, including new springs, will be removed and not returned to the owner.
Otherwise, look here.
https://www.ruger.com/service/partsService.html

"gunsmithing" that they didn't elaborate on came from my post so I will respond. This gun owned by a friend of mine was NIB. It had the peculiar firing pattern. I would think that Ruger would want to keep such a pistol to study and prevent this from happening again. I also don't see a company spending a lot of time trying to fix this problem when a new weapon had been already been offered.

My thoughts are Ruger duplicated the serial number of the owners pistol to a new one since the owner required the same gun be returned to him due to it being a gift.

Bottom line-regardless of what was actually done: They made it right and did it quickly representing excellent service. There were no charges.

Dolt
06-19-2019, 09:59
I have always gotten outstanding warranty service on Ruger firearms. Even when they are out of warranty they are usually repaired at no cost. That and the quality of their firearms is why I will always buy Ruger when it is an option.

S.A. Boggs
06-20-2019, 05:03
I have had a 10/22 since 1970, have done all the maintance on it myself. Rugers are easy to work on, most parts from Brownell's and reasonable. Mine is now due for the third set of replacement springs as the last were replaced in the mid 90's. I have an extra barrel if the original ever wears out. Have gone thru two stocks [broken in falls], three scopes [worn eye peace rings] and numerous bluing touchups. The bolt has imprinted on the face of the breach from so much use, still can hit what I cross hair with ease.:banana100::hello:
Sam

Former Cav
06-22-2019, 01:26
gunsmithing" that they didn't elaborate on..." Ruger will return the thing to 'as it came out of the factory'. Any aftermarket stuff, including new springs, will be removed and not returned to the owner.
Otherwise, look here.

CRAP.... I hope NOT... only "alteration" I did was put Hogue finger groove grips on it to fit my hand!! The grip cost me 39 bucks including the shipping.

jcg&jmbfan
06-23-2019, 04:46
I picked up a mark III 22/45 in a trade that the mag disconnect had been removed and who knows what else. It wouldn't function for crap so I called ruger to see what they would charge to fix it and had read the above disclaimer. They paid shipping both ways, returned about five old parts and the gun in about two weeks no charge.
I made it clear what had happened and that i was not the original owner and was willing to pay for repairs, shipping or whatever. Excellent CS.

Former Cav
07-11-2019, 07:55
It came back. They said something like the crane was not shimmed right from the factory.
I've never heard of that.
Thankfully, it came back with my hogue grips on it.
It works............so far....
It will take me 500 rounds or so to rebuild my confidence in it.

S.A. Boggs
07-13-2019, 02:01
I own several Ruger's and have going back nearly 50 years. Before Christmas I am planning on picking up the 9mm carbine and a American pistol.
Sam

Former Cav
09-30-2019, 12:32
yeah, well I got it back in about a week to 10 days (NOT complaining about that after all, it had to go from AZ to New Hampshire and back to AZ)
they said something like they had to shim the end play or some such crap.
Well, 10 bullets. downloaded cowboy loads even and it is DOA with the same problem.
So it is going back to them again....
and when I get it back, I'm trading it off as I have lost any faith in it being reliable.
I'll probably see if I can get a Smith and Wesson 586/686
I really screwed the pooch when I sold my S&W in 44 Spec. It was twice the gun this ruger gp100 in 44 spec is.!!