PDA

View Full Version : July 3, 1863

JohnMOhio
07-03-2019, 08:03
A charge by 15,000 Confederate soldiers under the command of General George Picket failed to break the Union line at the Battle of Gettysburg. The farthest point reached by the attack as been referred to as the "high-water mark" of the Confederacy.

Years later, when the General was asked why his charge at Gettysburg failed, he replied, "I've always thought the Yankees had something to do with it."

Major Tom
07-04-2019, 09:45
I have visited many civil war battle grounds over the years. Gettysburg has always intriqued me the most.

blackhawknj
07-04-2019, 02:22
It should never have been undertaken of course, they advanced over mostly level and open ground for a MILE, the Union artillery under the skillful direction of Henry Hunt had them under fire for half that distance.
The Other July 3-1898. The Naval Battle of Santiago de Cuba. the Spanish Caribbean Squadron is destroyed in a running fight with the US North Atlantic and Flying Squadrons. When the Spanish Cruiser Vizcaya started to burn, Captain J.W. Phillips of the USS Texas told his crew, "Don't cheer boys, those poor devils are dying."

Merc
07-05-2019, 05:26
15,000 Confederates started out against a smaller Union force protected by the stone wall but they had to cover a mile of open ground and were marching in close formation. The Union artillery had to be drooling. They had the perfect target, plenty of ammo and lots of time. The Confederates had to endure long range exploding overhead shells and solid cannon balls. Those who got closer to the wall faced double canister shot. Finally, those who approached the wall were met with withering frontal and flanking musket fire. Quite possibly the most ill-advised assault of the Civil War.