PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV changes

Allen
07-04-2019, 09:19
My case may not relate to many of you but we have Direct TV with the Genie (DVR). Years ago we paid extra to have the local channels broadcast through the DTV system so we could record and FF through endless hours of commercials. Now, as in the past couple of weeks, they have eliminated the local CBS, NBC and affiliated stations. We can still switch the receiver off and view through the local antennae but cannot record and FF so with 1/3rd of the viewing time being commercials that is not going to happen plus we aren't missing anything. My wife watched a couple of night time chick flick shows on CBS but we watch absolutely nothing on NBC. My concern is are they going to do this with all the local networks? This service now comes in our package deal so calling and complaining won't do any good plus every time we have changes made our billing statements are screwed up for months.

I suppose the sponsors are the ones spearheading this as they don't like to pay millions of dollars in advertisement fees just to have viewers FF through them.

Direct TV has always sucked in our area and seem to be worse now that they are owned by AT&T but they are better than Dish and cable isn't available outside of the city limits here. Cutting them off isn't an option either as we, especially my wife, has her favorites and spends a lot of time in front of the TV. HULA, Netflix and the sort doesn't look attractive to us either.

My question is: are any of you experiencing unwanted changes with Direct TV in your areas or is this just a "screw the Gulf Coast" interest of theirs?

Major Tom
07-04-2019, 09:43
We had DirectTV a few years ago and dropped them after a few months.
We now have Dish TV and love it!
As an aside, we have Hughs net for our internet and landline phone. Now they REALLY suck! When our contract with them ends they will get dropped too!

bruce
07-04-2019, 10:46
No complaints w/ Dish TV. Worth a try. Sincerely. bruce.

Allen
07-04-2019, 11:19
I meant to say Direct is better than Dish in MY area based upon speaking to local users. I didn't mean to step on toes.

S.A. Boggs
07-04-2019, 12:17
We have streaming tv with ROKU and our landline. All we pay is for the phone as our net comes over it. Unlimited long distance, tv, and net for about $140 a month. Don't have to put up with a tv package of what they want to sell to you. If it is on the net, we get it.
Sam

JOHN COOK
07-05-2019, 05:26
Allen, I may be mistaken but I think there is some type of contract between the local stations and Direct TV. Every now and then there is a contract dispute between the locals and Direct TV. It is not a nation wide contract with ABC , CBD, and NBC. Itis your local stations probably not agreeing with Direct TV . If you really want to know call one of your local stations. I live in central SC and get all the stations in Columbia, SC area. FWIW. No complaints with DirectTV

john in SC

Major Tom
07-05-2019, 06:36
John Cook is correct about local TV stations having conflicts with Direct/Dish networks.

shadycon
07-05-2019, 06:58
It's a matter of preference of dish or direct tv. As for hughesnet,it sucks but in the mts., sat. is all you get. As for all the advertisements,they are more important than the shows you want to watch. I can see in the near future we will have 75% commercials and who pays for them, we do. IMO

Sunray
07-05-2019, 09:52
There have been unwanted changes ever since the FCC, then our CRTC a year or so later, decided TV would be a pay service.
The local stations are nearly always affiliated with ABC, CBS or NBC. In any case, you need to read your current contract/agreement then call the FCC if DT isn't behaving.