07-16-2019, 05:34
Where there is a will, there is a way!
Sam

Roadkingtrax
07-16-2019, 05:42
...another reason to hate minivans. :)

Allen
07-16-2019, 06:00
Those things are all FWD now so the more weight you put on the back the less traction you have.

If that's really for firewood that's going to be some tough cutting and splitting ahead. People seem to disregard the best firewood--the branches. Just cut to length and they're ready to use.

Clark Howard
07-16-2019, 06:14
Only a person who would attempt to haul this log in a minivan would butcher a walnut tree into firewood.

lyman
07-16-2019, 08:30
I want to know how he got it in there

Sunray
07-16-2019, 09:43
You'll have that cut, dried and split just in time for the Spring Solstice. snicker.

Merc
07-16-2019, 01:33
The power company called me last winter and told me that there was a dead ash tree on my summer home property that they needed to cut down since it was threatening their power lines. I didn’t remember how big it was and told them to drop it and we’d cut it up for fire wood. I saw it this spring whe we opened up for the season and it was surprised to see that it was bigger than the tree in the van. My son in law dragged it out to the road with his truck and had a friend come get it with his monster fork lift and huge trailer. I was glad to get rid of it but later learned that ash is furniture grade wood and the trunk was probably valuable. Ah well, live and learn.

Allen
07-16-2019, 02:38
I was glad to get rid of it but later learned that ash is furniture grade wood and the trunk was probably valuable.

I would think probably not since it had died and had been dead for a while. Dead trees immediately get bugs in them which would make them worthless for the wood, sometimes even for firewood because you don't want to bring wood infested with powder post beetles, termites or other into your house. I don't feel a dead tree would dry evenly either causing splits or cracks in the wood when cutting up. In either event lumber companies aren't usually interested in a single tree. An exception would be something like a (live) large walnut tree that had the roots on it or where the limbs spread out since this is where the burl grain comes from. I've read about large walnut straight trunks selling for $5,000 because they could be "turned" for the veneer and produce a lot.

If that is a walnut tree pictured it could be worth more than the van.

Merc
07-16-2019, 04:45
Yeah, you’re probably right. It’s been dead for several years from the emerald ash borers. Still, I think the guy who put all the effort into taking the trunk has big plans to make something. Maybe he can salvage the core wood. It had to weight a couple tons.

Sako
07-19-2019, 03:44
Thats a pretty good job of photo shop on the mini van and tree.