PDA

View Full Version : Anybody

S.A. Boggs
07-30-2019, 08:07
Ready for an old fashion winter like you had as a kid?
Sam

lyman
07-30-2019, 08:30
which one?

75 degrees on Thanksgiving or Christmas
or knee deep in snow?

or that ice storm that knocked power out for 4 days? (thankfully had a fireplace and kero heater)
or the one where it rained non stop for days, ?

as long as it gets cold enough to kill of some of the bugs, I am good with either

and IBT,,

(In Before Togor) with climateglobalchangewarming stuff

:1948:

PWC
07-30-2019, 08:54
Oklahoma wonter could be jean jacket or warm long coat. Either just before or just after T'day, a package with huge greasey spots would arrive from my aunt in Kansas. It always created excitement. A box of cracklins had arrived again. REAL cracklins, not those styrofoam things passed off today as pork rinds, or skins. Made from REAL rendered down pork rind from fresh killed "bacon". My aunt and uncle farmed and raised pigs, so cracklins were an annual winter treat.

m1ashooter
07-30-2019, 09:00
I grew up as a kind in NJ in the 60's and 70's. Some winters we had snow and others not so much. When we had snow the sled riding was great.

Sunray
07-30-2019, 09:17
Knee deep in snow would be different to a kid. Makes no difference here anyway. The City clears the sidewalks and does a really crappy job of it. No snow removal until 8 cm has fallen. That can mean they clear snow off the ice. And their machines cannot clear to bare cement.
And no, ya'll can keep your Colorado lows and all the rest of it to yourselves, thanks. snicker.

Allen
07-30-2019, 09:58
Sam

Yes but temperature wouldn't have anything to do with it. As a kid I would still have my parents, grandparents, other friends and relatives, still live in my childhood home in laid back simpler times with little to no traffic and noise. Thanksgiving was always at a relatives house or ours with relatives eating with us and college football games were on TV. Christmas time brought a trip to our woods to cut a tree and trips to the city (Mobile) for Christmas shopping because we didn't have stores close by. I would have our pets back again that I miss so yeah I would like a winter like I had as a kid. The only thing I would dislike about it is being in school.

In short, you can never go back. We can only make the best of things and memories in the present to be looked upon in the future as the "good 'ol days".

blackhawknj
07-30-2019, 12:48
Yes, a few years ago here in Central NJ it was in the 50s on Christmas Day. Too flat here, very few sledding spots. I lived in Southwestern Vermont 1956-1959, excellent sledding, also they were more capable of dealing with with snow back then. I tell people enough snow-2-3" tops, enough for color and atmosphere and so the kiddies can have fun, not so much that it creates a mess.
Years ago I read one my mother's women's magazines "Giving your kid a sled for Christmas will sweep every snowflake from the sky for the next six weeks", last Yuletide I gave several sleds to families with grade school age children, we had very little snow.

free1954
07-31-2019, 06:24
Years ago I read one my mother's women's magazines "Giving your kid a sled for Christmas will sweep every snowflake from the sky for the next six weeks", last Yuletide I gave several sleds to families with grade school age children, we had very little snow.

so true. since I bought a snow thrower our snowfall has decreased every year.

- - - Updated - - -

Sam

me. I have nowhere to go and I can walk to the store in 10 minutes in the snow.

S.A. Boggs
07-31-2019, 07:18
I was thinking more along the lines of weather i.e. cold and snow.
Sam

JohnPeeff
07-31-2019, 09:21
I never saw snow until I was 12 ,born and raised in San Francisco.

dryheat
07-31-2019, 09:28
Sam

It's frickin July(three hrs left). LOL Yup, be prepared but enjoy summer.

since I bought a snow thrower our snowfall has decreased every year.- Proof that climate change is real.

I think Allen's post was one that we all can relate to.

Merc
08-01-2019, 06:47
Somehow, I wound up with 2 working snow blowers, so yes, I am more than ready. Only problem, I spend much of the winter away in Cave Creek, AZ or in Florida. I remember winters here in the 1970s that had temps that stayed at zero or below for 5-6 weeks. We get the polar vortex’s that chills us down around zero now but they don’t seem to last as long. Really heavy snow storms occurred early or late. I remember the 1950 Thanksgiving Day storm that dropped something like 36 inches of snow, or the March, 2000 (I think) blizzard that dropped 18 inches. It convinced me to get a snow blower. Just east of us down around Harrisburg, they had several Nor’easters over a 2 week period in the 90s that dropped 60 inches. Nor’easters are out of season hurricanes or big low pressure systems that spin up the east coast and dump heavy snow inland. But - who can forget “lake effect” snow fall? Erie, PA had more than 100 inches on the ground 2 years ago. My son in law and his dad were goose hunting in Peterborough, Canada a few years ago in November when the Buffalo area got hit with more than that. They closed down the interstates so the guys had to drive west to Detroit to find clear roads and return home. Lake effect snow only lasts until Erie freezes over, but Ontario is too deep to freeze.

Edit: We still see enough below normal temps around here to have most people saying “what global warming?” June was way below normal, as were the previous 2 months. Lots of rain and flash flooding. Erie is about 4 feet above normal (yes, 4 feet). Our over abundance of fresh water can be a blessing for some and a curse for others.

Allen
08-01-2019, 08:34
Sam

OK, I'll take a temperature approach this time. I have only experienced 1 or 2 "nice" snows where the ground froze first, then snowed till we got about 8-12" of snow. My best memories of this was a trip to our woods where everything looked like one of those Christmas postcards. All the trees were loaded down from the weight of the snow to the point of having a triangular Christmas tree look. All the honeysuckle vines were like 1" thick. Bushes looked like boulders. For some reason I wasn't concerned about being cold, perhaps because of the stillness of it all (no wind). Our schools were always good about closing during a "hard freeze" so as kids we were home to enjoy things while it lasted. As pretty as everything was it wasn't for me. There are no snow blowers here. There's no snow plows and we don't salt the roads though the highway dept has, on occasion, dumped sand on the roads. My kids have only seen 2 or 3 light snows where maybe 2" of snow fell on the non-frozen ground and didn't last long. Sadly their snowmen looked like a pointed glob of slush only 2 or 3' high.

Temperature wise our winters aren't much different now than when I was a kid. Our winters are usually mild with a snow or hard freeze occurring once in a blue moon and just as well because we just aren't equipped nor prepared for such.

This area of the country is very humid so when we do have a hard freeze it creates chaos because everything is covered with a glaze of ice. The roads become too slick to drive on. Steps and sidewalks become dangerous to walk on. I guess some of this happens all over though after a rain before the freeze.

For us winter is a necessary evil needed to kill bugs and weeds but since this is a resort area we complain a lot more about the winters than the hot humid summers because we enjoy our outdoors and our beaches.

W.C Fields once said "Women are like elephants, interesting to like at but I wouldn't want to own one". That's sort of how me and others feel about winter. There are good points and good memories but overall a pain in the a$$ when you're use to a warm climate.

This is a good thread for those of you who live in the "winter wonderland" just wanted you to hear a different perspective.

lyman
08-01-2019, 11:28
Sam

so you agree with togor on climate change?

Vern Humphrey
08-01-2019, 01:25
In Arkansas, it got COLD during the winter. I remember wearing a big parka while out riding checking on the cattle -- and coming home half frozen.

And power outages? The thing here in the Ozarks is ice storms. Whole trees go down -- the last ice storm was in January of '09, and we were without power for two weeks. Fortunately, I have a wood burning stove in the basement, a generator to power the freezer, and Coleman lanterns.

I think we're about ready for another storm like that, and I'm seriously considering getting a propane generator to power the whole house.

Allen
08-01-2019, 02:07
I'm seriously considering getting a propane generator to power the whole house.

What folks do here is buy the Nat gas generators. Nat gas is supplied by the city or town municipalities and is usually restored quickly after a major storm. A propane unit should be convertible to use the nat gas. All generators use an incredible amount of fuel, especially the whole house types.

blackhawknj
08-01-2019, 02:37
Kids-Wow ! Lots of snow, no school, sledding, snow ball fights, lots of TV !
Adults-Have to shovel snow, roads are awful, how do I get to work, we're low on milk, the kids are home !