PDA

View Full Version : Who rebarrels No. 4's?

Andouille
08-25-2019, 08:27
So at a vintage rifle match today, a shooter appeared with what looked to be a very nice Savage No.4, until you took a peek down the spout and saw the gawd-awful bore. To be charitable, it was a hot mess that wouldn't hold minute of large pizza pan at 100-yards.

But still, a very nice looking rifle.

What are his options for getting a new barrel put on this contraption? I'm aware Criterion makes them but is there a source for new old stock barrels and who does reliable rebarreling work?

Thanks.............

The Armourer
08-26-2019, 02:23
So at a vintage rifle match today, a shooter appeared with what looked to be a very nice Savage No.4, until you took a peek down the spout and saw the gawd-awful bore. To be charitable, it was a hot mess that wouldn't hold minute of large pizza pan at 100-yards.

But still, a very nice looking rifle.

What are his options for getting a new barrel put on this contraption? I'm aware Criterion makes them but is there a source for new old stock barrels and who does reliable rebarreling work?

Thanks.............

It would depend whereabouts in the world you / he is ?

Are you still in Oz ?

Sunray
08-26-2019, 10:51
Sarcoinc shows No. 4 barrels at $125US. No mention of ID. One buyer does say the one he bought measures .311" though. http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/4-enfield-barrel-like-new.aspx
You need a smithy who has the proper tools already or will rent 'em(head space gauges). If he buys 'em, you will pay for 'em and not get to keep 'em. It also requires a barrel vise with the correct bushing and the proper action wrench. Failing to use the latter will result in a twisted receiver that cannot be repaired.
As mentioned, where you actually are matters.
To, too, two. Three different words with three different meanings.

p246
08-26-2019, 06:11
Brian Dick still works on Lee Enfields( posts on MILSURPS). Chuck in Denver maybe but not sure about him. It’s still cheaper to buy a nice example, than to rebarrel a L.E. But the gap is slowly closing.

lyman
08-27-2019, 08:38
Brian Dick still works on Lee Enfields( posts on MILSURPS).

http://bdlltd.com/contact/

Chuck in Denver maybe but not sure about him. It’s still cheaper to buy a nice example, than to rebarrel a L.E. But the gap is slowly closing.

not sure if he does Commonwealth guns or not,
he has no website,

The Armourer
08-27-2019, 09:09
Brian Dick still works on Lee Enfields( posts on MILSURPS). Chuck in Denver maybe but not sure about him. It’s still cheaper to buy a nice example, than to rebarrel a L.E. But the gap is slowly closing.

Not much help if he is in (as his details suggest) Australia.

But he hasn't answered the question as to his whereabouts so its all guess work.

Sunray
08-27-2019, 10:18
Maybe Andouille's OZ is over the rainbow in Kansas. snicker.

The Armourer
08-27-2019, 12:17
Maybe Andouille's OZ is over the rainbow in Kansas. snicker.

I applied to emigrate to Australia, got as far as the interview but failed on one of the questions :

"Do you have a criminal record ?"

to which I replied,

"Sorry, no I don't - I didn't realise it was still required"

Sunray
08-28-2019, 10:20
Aussies don't have much of a sense of humour. You can tell when an Aussie Navy boat has been in town by the trail of wrecked bars. Or so I've been told.