PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Coast Elk

jon_norstog
09-17-2019, 09:01
Last weekend I was out on a long bicycle ride, an event actually, maybe 100 riders, all younger than me. After breaking camp I followed to pack to a cafe in Vernonia OR, in the Coast Range north and west of Portland. Stopped at a park to ask for directions to the cafe and saw elk antlers sticking out of a truck bed.

Look at that bull! A perfect 6-points and symmetrical! Archery season already! The woman in camo shot it, I guess her husband pushed it toward her stand. She was pretty happy and the group around the truck was celebrating. Everyone was taking pictures so I took a couple with my phone.

Coast elk are not as big a their Rocky Mountain cousins, but this one was really nice. By the look of the meat bags he was about as heavy as the cow my brother got last year.

46532 46533

lyman
09-17-2019, 10:10
That's a lot of good eating!

Roadkingtrax
09-17-2019, 11:13
Nice elk.

My friend just took a large bull in the Eastern Arizona/Western NM mountains. Archery as well.

A beautiful part of the country.

BudT
09-20-2019, 10:16
Nice bull, grandson and I saw one about that size fresh road hit between Twin Falls ID and Jackpot NV just past Rodgerson.

dryheat
09-20-2019, 09:42
Nice elk.

My friend just took a large bull in the Eastern Arizona/Western NM mountains. Archery as well.

A beautiful part of the country.

I'm not a hunter but I have a theory. To hunt in the White mountain Apache country you need a permit(and maybe a guide). The last time I was at the Game and Fish there, an elk license was $10,000(as I recall, but that seems high even now). Before everyone in America was rich hardly anyone hunted up there, so when I camped there I saw elk with antlers as thick a Ponderosa Pine limbs. One evening in particular stands out in my mind. This little herd with two huge bulls came down the hill, easily jumped the barbed wire fence and drank at the tank. Then lept over the fence and went back up the hill. I had binoculars but no camera.

BudT
09-21-2019, 09:00
I'm not a hunter but I have a theory. To hunt in the White mountain Apache country you need a permit(and maybe a guide). The last time I was at the Game and Fish there, an elk license was $10,000(as I recall, but that seems high even now). Before everyone in America was rich hardly anyone hunted up there, so when I camped there I saw elk with antlers as thick a Ponderosa Pine limbs. One evening in particular stands out in my mind. This little herd with two huge bulls came down the hill, easily jumped the barbed wire fence and drank at the tank. Then lept over the fence and went back up the hill. I had binoculars but no camera.

You can get a guided elk hunt for less than your quoted tag price.

lyman
09-22-2019, 12:48
I'm not sure what the cost is , I do have a Cousin that goes every year

he is way to tight to spend that kind of money,

he goes with a group of friends, one lives in NM, so they commandeered a section of his garage to store all the gear, including for some a rifle, until the next year

Vern Humphrey
09-22-2019, 02:01
Believe it or not, a 6X6 bull elk was killed right here in Stone County, Arkansas last season.

lyman
09-22-2019, 03:02
IIRC we have a small season now in VA,

Elk were reintroduced in SWVA years ago,

Vern Humphrey
09-23-2019, 07:21
IIRC we have a small season now in VA,

Elk were reintroduced in SWVA years ago,

They used to roam from sea to sea. The Lewis and Clark Expedition lived off them.