PDA

View Full Version : Carry for hiking

barretcreek
09-20-2019, 07:38
We have bear/lion encounters a few times a year in this area. My desire is to carry a revolver such that it is available for strong hand/ weak hand optionally rather than an optimum strong hand good luck with the weak hand rig.
What are your opinions and how do you carry?

bruce
09-20-2019, 07:53
Have been known to roam the woods and fields. Very often do so during deer and hog hunting. Have carried al sorts of revolvers and even a few pistols. Much prefer a good S&W revolver. Over the last few years, I have gravitated to the 19/66 revolvers ... four inch barrels in a Bianchi 111 Cyclone holster worn cross draw. This has been pretty much my go to outfit for at least the last 20 years or so. Gives immediate unimpeded access. More than powerful enough for any common problems that one might encounter either two or four legs. Strong/weak hand shooting if fine for combat type matches, but highly unlikely to be needed in routine day to day type hiking. Even then, if necessary, with common speed loaders it would be no big deal to reload a K-frame. If one wanted more power, there are always the N-frames in .44 or .45 calibers. Would be hard to imagine what more one could want or need. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

togor
09-20-2019, 08:08
Model 27-2 and practice with the other hand so you can hit what you're aiming at. Pachmayr grips will help a lot. Against aggressive wildlife if the first 5 shots don't get it done then speed reloading isn't going help.

But realistically bear spray would be my first choice.

m1ashooter
09-20-2019, 08:25
I carried a Remington 870 in 12 gage with a short barrel when I used to be out and about in Alaska. Are you carrying a light pack? What are your thoughts on a waist belt?

Allen
09-21-2019, 05:16
Bear or lion? I would want to be certain to stop them with the first shot. My preference would be a S&W 629 or the Remington 870 12ga magnum.

lyman
09-21-2019, 05:37
I carried a Remington 870 in 12 gage with a short barrel when I used to be out and about in Alaska. Are you carrying a light pack? What are your thoughts on a waist belt?

a friend carries on of these in off season when scouting, .slung over the shoulder, when Hunting season is in, he carries an older Rossi 357 4" (cheap beater that works)

and another friend keeps an 870 handy when he is working on the farm,

black bear only, and they scoot away from humans unless you get between mom and the cubs,

coyote and wild dog are the bigger issues here

Sunray
09-21-2019, 11:14
"...would want to be certain to stop them with the first shot..." Physics does not allow that. Not even a 12 gauge slug, magnum or not, will stop anything in its tracks. Both Yogi and Snagglepuss would require a central nervous system shot to even slow 'em down. Carrying a firearm for SD against the local fauna is primarily a placebo. Most people carry 'em because they legally can rather than a real need.
Both Yogi and Snagglepuss attack differently, if they attack at all. Neither is really that interested in you in the first place though. Unless you get between Cindy and her kids, togor's bear spray(or a really loud whistle) will be far more effective.
Yogi is usually encountered, by accident, face to face. If he's PO'd and coming from under 100 yards, you will never be fast enough to recognize the threat, draw, aim and shoot accurately. Yogi can cover 100 yards in less than 6 seconds.
Kitty is encountered usually by joggers or hikers who run. That triggers Kitty's "THAT'S FOOD!!!" instinct. Deer run. And Kitty comes from above and behind, in absolute silence. Kitty can jump about 40 feet on a run(at 50 MPH when he's in a hurry.), climb over a 12 foot fence and 15 feet up a tree.

Allen
09-21-2019, 11:29
"...would want to be certain to stop them with the first shot..." Physics does not allow that. Not even a 12 gauge slug, magnum or not, will stop anything in its tracks. Both Yogi and Snagglepuss would require a central nervous system shot to even slow 'em down. Carrying a firearm for SD against the local fauna is primarily a placebo. Most people carry 'em because they legally can rather than a real need.
Both Yogi and Snagglepuss attack differently, if they attack at all. Neither is really that interested in you in the first place though. Unless you get between Cindy and her kids, togor's bear spray(or a really loud whistle) will be far more effective.
Yogi is usually encountered, by accident, face to face. If he's PO'd and coming from under 100 yards, you will never be fast enough to recognize the threat, draw, aim and shoot accurately. Yogi can cover 100 yards in less than 6 seconds.
Kitty is encountered usually by joggers or hikers who run. That triggers Kitty's "THAT'S FOOD!!!" instinct. Deer run. And Kitty comes from above and behind, in absolute silence. Kitty can jump about 40 feet on a run(at 50 MPH when he's in a hurry.), climb over a 12 foot fence and 15 feet up a tree.

Picky picky. You have to draw the line somewhere. A well placed 44mag slug or a blast from a 12ga mag can take a head completely off. An off center shot can take half a head off. Most of us can't carry a 88mm anti tank cannon around so....

A person may only have a chance for one shot so using the most effective would be what I would want to have on me. The noise alone would discourage a lot of animals. I certainly wouldn't want to try my luck with a 22LR.

Dolt
09-24-2019, 03:04
We have bear/lion encounters a few times a year in this area. My desire is to carry a revolver such that it is available for strong hand/ weak hand optionally rather than an optimum strong hand good luck with the weak hand rig.
What are your opinions and how do you carry?

Ruger single action 45 Colt loaded with 250 gr Keith bullet backed by 18gr 2400. Carried in a military M7 holster. Very comforting and comfortable.

Vern Humphrey
09-25-2019, 07:59
I carry a Colt New Service in .45 Colt in a strong side holster, with two speed loaders on the opposite side.

Sunray
09-25-2019, 10:26
"...44 mag slug or a blast from a 12ga mag can take a head completely off..." That's Hollywood nonsense.

lyman
09-25-2019, 10:30
"...44 mag slug or a blast from a 12ga mag can take a head completely off..." That's Hollywood nonsense.

you are correct

Dolt
09-25-2019, 03:10
Somebody has been watching too much Dirty Harry...

Dolt
12-06-2019, 12:16
Kitty scares me a hell of a lot more than Yogi.

barretcreek
12-06-2019, 01:14
We have Bullwinkle here, and he's stupid and very aggressive. He has chased friends on their snowmobiles.

jjrothWA
12-11-2019, 03:56
Having hiked the WA. Cascades, I carried either a Ruger SS6 4", with Hornaday 140 gr., XTP's or a 1911 with the Hornady 230 gr FMJ-FP ammo.
Had spare speed-loader with Federal 180 gr., Hard cart bullets , as the 240 gr were for two-legged varmints.

Soke with the Sierra baslitic techs and they recommended the heaviest bullet at the maximum velocity you can handle.

Best defense is to MAINTAIN visual observations of surroundings.

C5M1
12-27-2019, 07:58
Sunray gave some sage advice. Add to that I carry pepper spray and titanium 41 mag revolver in bear country. 22 revolver everywhere else. Here is a good article from last fall near cody wy. The man left a wife and 5 children.

https://buckrail.com/10mm-glock-fully-functional-in-fatal-grizzly-attack/

Vern Humphrey
12-28-2019, 06:28
The first rule of gun fighting is, "Have a gun ." The second rule is "Have it with you."

remus
01-04-2020, 07:02
If I was in bear country I'd carry my Ruger .45 colt, loaded up, in a Diamond D chest holster. Fast access and comfortable. When I'm just out and about mod. 19, or 18, or 48, Smiths in the Diamond D. Good rig check them out.

RED
01-04-2020, 09:39
If you are hiking in bear country, you should carry pepper spray and wear bells on your shoes. If you see bear scat you should not be there.

The question being is "How do you know it is bear scat?"

Easy! It will smell like pepper and have little bells in it.

dryheat
01-05-2020, 09:33
-he carries an older Rossi 357 4" (cheap beater that works)- I don't remember the nomenclature, but I had that Rossi. What a great pistol. I miss it, but I sold it to Cop in training and the review was plus 1, so I'm happy with that sale.
Bear: Oooh, I hear bells.
Pepper spray can help...against people.
Up in Alaska where bears are a problem, the guys who are familiar with bear country will tell you to file the front site on your .44 down. That way it doesn't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your ass.
In seriousness, I'd guess a .44(mag) or close would help some. But make sure you observe the wind and control your breathing.

togor
01-10-2020, 04:33
Years ago, at Yellowstone with some friends, we were enjoying the Gardner River at the North end of the park where hot springs meet a cold stream. Nearby was a Grizzly and a ranger with what looked to be a .44 Mag on his belt, FWIW.

shjoe
01-15-2020, 01:58
great responses. my first choice would be 45 colt. however my daily carry on the farm or during a woods walk is my glock 23 40sw, 180gr flat nose. plenty for most anything. it points well, sights come up fast, 10 rd mag. and, practice, practice, practice.

Vern Humphrey
01-15-2020, 08:05
Around here, we only have Blackies, and no one has ever been killed by a bear in Arkansas -- and we used to have so many bears it was called "The Bear State." I really carry my .45 in case I get a shot at a coyote or similar critter. Often, though I carry a Colt Woodsman and have taken a box car load of squirrels with that gun.

lyman
01-15-2020, 10:19
ditto here, all Black Bears,

most in the western part of the state, but they encroach on this area every year

also have a small population down in the Dismal Swamp

Vern Humphrey
01-15-2020, 01:14
ditto here, all Black Bears,

most in the western part of the state, but they encroach on this area every year

also have a small population down in the Dismal Swamp

When I lived in Tidewater, we used to go to the Dismal Swamp and there were walkways and wooden bridges clawed up by the bears -- marking their territory, I guess.

barretcreek
01-15-2020, 05:22
We have fatalities every other year or so; Yogi cleaning out the gene pool usually. The amazing thing is we don't have more. Bunny Huggers got hunting over bait eliminated in the early '90s and it's been normal for bears to forage in town ever since.

lyman
01-15-2020, 05:38
We have fatalities every other year or so; Yogi cleaning out the gene pool usually. The amazing thing is we don't have more. Bunny Huggers got hunting over bait eliminated in the early '90s and it's been normal for bears to forage in town ever since.

we have them roaming done from 'the hills'

fact of the matter is they are on the west side of the metro area, and the young ones tend to follow the rivers down thru town (or north or south) thru the counties that generally don't have a bear population,

meaning, a hiker, fisherman, etc will see one wandering down a river or creek, or one my cut thru some suburb,

makes the news, everyone be careful, etc etc,

and the bear usually eats out of someone's trash and moves on,

rarely one has to be relocated,

Vern Humphrey
01-15-2020, 05:45
rarely one has to be relocated,

In Arkansas, we rarely had luck relocating bears -- we tried it to spread the population out. Youi relocate a bear and two weeks later he's back at the old stand.

Finally, we started trapping and pulling tracker collars on females. Then in the winter, we'd track them and if they had cubs both mama and the cubs would be relocated -- to a nice pre-prepared den. When they woke up, mama couldn't head back because the cubs were too small to make the trip. By the time they were big enough, she'd forgotten all about the Big Swamp and made her home in the hills.

lyman
01-15-2020, 07:05
they catch one every now and then, big write up, drama on the evening news, and poor Yogi or Mrs Yogi gets a ride somewhere else to raid other peoples picnic baskets,

meanwhile life goes on,

Merc
01-16-2020, 05:15
I looked on Amazon to see what types of bear spray they offer and there’s a lot. I was surprised to see that some are even offered in a pistol type handle with a range of 20 feet. Mace and pepper spray are most common.