PDA

View Full Version : Internet privacy

PaFrank
10-13-2019, 02:32
It's getting tougher, but there are tools you can use to defend yourself... There is a TON of reading on this site, but it is well worth your time.. and its is some scary stuff!

https://restoreprivacy.com/

Sunray
10-15-2019, 10:55
As a retire computer tech, who worked for an ISP, there's no such thing as Internet privacy. Anything you put on-line is there forever and even the best security can be by-passed fairly easily.
The only 100% guaranteed method is to unplug altogether. Plan 'B' is to never, ever, ever put your personal info on any site.

Allen
10-15-2019, 11:20
Some people recommend a separate computer for any of you who bank with a computer. A computer with banking account numbers and passwords should not have anything else on it, not even your email account. While this isn't completely secure either it is harder to hack. How many times do we see on Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo, Google, AOL and etc wanting and sometimes forcing us to combine our account info? If one account gets hacked then the hacker has all of our info on a silver platter.

What bothers me way more than computer privacy is public records. The general public can research me and obtain my home address, how many homes and other properties I own along with the addresses, how much I paid for them, what I pay in property tax, my relatives along with their info, my age, where I work, what political party I support, my religion, arrest records (if any), my interest, what model and years cars I own and on and on.

While I don't have anything to hide this info is simply NOT anyone's business including the government and could be a security issue.

blackhawknj
10-15-2019, 02:20
Yes, avoid posting any truly private or personal information, make sure any pictures of you are ones you are willing to share.
I am far from computer-savvy-a "technosaur", but I understand how closely linked everything is and how quickly it can be accessed. I showed a co-worker, I typed in my name on Google Images, and a LOT of pictures came up. I pointed out to her that these were of people whose Legacy pages I had signed.

lyman
10-15-2019, 03:42
Yes, avoid posting any truly private or personal information, make sure any pictures of you are ones you are willing to share.
I am far from computer-savvy-a "technosaur", but I understand how closely linked everything is and how quickly it can be accessed. I showed a co-worker, I typed in my name on Google Images, and a LOT of pictures came up. I pointed out to her that these were of people whose Legacy pages I had signed.

I try that every now and again,

fortunately, there is a dude with my first and last name that is prominent in some way, so images and typical searches turn him up unless you really drill down

Sunray
10-16-2019, 10:41
The worst thing going on now is all the BS ancestry sites. Give 'em any info and it's promptly sold to marketing companies. Said records are 100% public too.

free1954
10-19-2019, 05:33
The worst thing going on now is all the BS ancestry sites. Give 'em any info and it's promptly sold to marketing companies. Said records are 100% public too.

damn right. people don't realize how dangerous they can be. haven't they caught a few felons by matching their dna to a relative? where my relations came from never interested me. i'm an American.