PDA

View Full Version : The accuracy and speed of shipping these days

dryheat
10-17-2019, 05:41
I still remember when I was stationed at a NavAir training base in Texas. I worked on planes in the hanger. We had a supply room. You'd go to the supply room for a part and maybe they had it and maybe they didn't. I could never figure out how we could be out of a part. We only worked on one kind of plane. When you got down to the last three parts, order more. So, now days I can order anything you can imagine online. I just ordered a simple switch. It's on it's way(they emailed me). It might come from China and wind up in Long Beach and get trucked or trained east. It will be in my mailbox on Monday. The last time I needed a little switch I made the mistake of going to Radio Shack. The kid had no idea what I wanted and I had to wait for him to give up and get out of my way so I could find what I was looking for(is R-S still around?). Now I go to Ebay and have 500 choices. I like getting stuff in the mail. Sometimes I forget what I ordered so it's a surprise.

pcox
10-17-2019, 06:36
"Sometimes I forget what I ordered", yeah, I hate it when that happens. What's worse is when you forget why your ordered it.

lyman
10-17-2019, 07:39
one of my favorite movie quotes is ,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4z0QhD92Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4z0QhD92Y

ain't this place a Geographical odyssey, 2 weeks from everywhere,,,,

only now change that to 2 days,,

Allen
10-18-2019, 04:21
is R-S still around? Now I go to Ebay and have 500 choices. I like getting stuff in the mail.

There are a few Radio Shacks still around. Why, I don't think anyone knows. They don't do much business.

I do the same with ebay plus Wal Mart sells a lot of the more common stuff now. I don't like that ebay is now charging tax on everything but it still saves on gas. Hit a couple of buttons on the computer and 3-4 days later you item is waiting for you in your mail box. Large items will be placed at your front door. Hard to beat that.

JOHN COOK
10-18-2019, 06:14
Ordered 2 black and 1 color cartridges for my HP 7210 All in one printer last night and got E mail this A.M. it has shipped and will arrive Monday. Cartridges are refilled and work perfect. Cost $ 34.00 bucks and change includes tax, no shipping charge. Can't beat it.....

john in SC

Sunray
10-18-2019, 08:16
"...I go to Ebay..." And give money to the people who want to take your firearms away from you.
"...placed at your front door..." Even when you pay for 'signature required'. Lots of stuff like that is being stolen these days too.
Radio Shack is The Source up here. Minimum wage job with no training.
For any computer stuff there is nearly always a local distributor who will be happy to sell you the stuff you want.

Mark in Ottawa
10-18-2019, 07:20
The ability to order from your desk and the fact that what you ordered arrives so quickly has pretty much devastated the traditional bricks and mortar shopping facility. This, of course, has had some serious effects on sales jobs and on the viability of the traditional shopping center, many of which have closed down to the detriment of the local economy.

As an aside, my daughter is a marketing manager for a major retail chain. In response to the prevalence of on-line shopping, last Christmas they did a TV commercial that showed shoppers enjoying a unique experience - "Off line shopping". They showed a shopper physically picking up an article, feeling its texture on her face and then personally placing it in a real shopping cart.

lyman
10-18-2019, 07:23
The ability to order from your desk and the fact that what you ordered arrives so quickly has pretty much devastated the traditional bricks and mortar shopping facility. This, of course, has had some serious effects on sales jobs and on the viability of the traditional shopping center, many of which have closed down to the detriment of the local economy.

As an aside, my daughter is a marketing manager for a major retail chain. In response to the prevalence of on-line shopping, last Christmas they did a TV commercial that showed shoppers enjoying a unique experience - "Off line shopping". They showed a shopper physically picking up an article, feeling its texture on her face and then personally placing it in a real shopping cart.

I know a guy that manages a Bed Bath and Beyond location,

he has lots of customers come in, look at an item, and then order it from their phone while in the store,

order from Amazon, eBay etc, not BB&B online store,,

Allen
10-18-2019, 07:55
I know a guy that manages a Bed Bath and Beyond location,

he has lots of customers come in, look at an item, and then order it from their phone while in the store,

order from Amazon, eBay etc, not BB&B online store,,

That happens a lot at Best Buy too.

Allen
10-18-2019, 08:02
The ability to order from your desk and the fact that what you ordered arrives so quickly has pretty much devastated the traditional bricks and mortar shopping facility.

They brought it on themselves with poor service and sometimes higher than retail prices plus the internet is always open.

As far as quick service. Most of the time you are dealing with an individual like yourself. I remember the old catalog companies like Sears, Wards and JCP but there was also Alden's and Spiegel. Customary advertised shipping time was 6 to 8 weeks and that was only after they received your mailed in check or MO. By the time you received something you may have forgot you ordered it or no longer needed it.