PDA

View Full Version : anoying phone calls

shadycon
11-01-2019, 11:12
How many of you have gotten one of these with your name and phone number on the caller ID?:icon_scratch:

lyman
11-01-2019, 12:46
brother and I were at a guys house looking over some guns, parts, and stuff to buy,

my phone rang, I flipped it to voice mail, and kept on

not 30 seconds later my brothers phone rang, he picked it up and it was a telemarketer,

so he hangs up,

we were chatting with the guy about telemarketers, and I asked what the number that called him was,

it was the same number

two completely different phones, different numbers accounts etc, random dialed in seconds of each other, while we were less than 5'apart,,

shadycon
11-01-2019, 12:51
Modem technology!:icon_e_surprised:

Allen
11-01-2019, 01:26
How many of you have gotten one of these with your name and phone number on the caller ID?:icon_scratch:

I have but not lately. If not for my wife I would get rid of my line phone in a heartbeat. We didn't have that exact problem when we had an unlisted number. When the roto-calls started the unlisted number was of no use so we stopped paying extra to not have it publically printed. Then is when I started getting the calls with my name on it.

The "government" claims they are addressing the problem with roto-calls but THEY are the main ones abusing it with their polls. Charities are also exempt so everyone is some type of charity now.

Having a phone that blocks the calls is useless to me because the phone still rings one time (till the block recognizes it). I like most of you have the caller ID. I just don't answer it unless I know you or expect a call from someone. I wouldn't even answer it if the ID came up as the IRS, Trump, the White House or the Florida Lottery.

Everyone I do business with has my mailing address and my email address. My phone is for my use---not theirs.

Sunray
11-03-2019, 10:54
Put your number in the 'Do not call' list. Doesn't eliminate the robo-calls, but it does reduce the number. Doesn't reduce the scam calls though. Been getting 'em lately telling me I'm being investigated by Service Canada. Service Canada doesn't investigate anybody. Local cops don't want the numbers either.
https://www.donotcall.gov/

Johnny P
11-03-2019, 12:42
Have been on Do Not Call list since it was offered, and the robo callers could care less. Blocking the number does absolutely no good as the robo callers can enter any number they want to show up on your caller ID, and on a regular basis we receiver calls with our area code and prefix. Now most of the calls are from our area code with no caller ID. We just don't answer any calls without a caller ID we recognize, and if we think it might be legit we look it up on "Online Reverse Lookup".

S.A. Boggs
11-03-2019, 01:42
I have found that talking religion, Druids to be specific can get them to hang up and fun too.:banana100::eusa_shhh:
Sam

Allen
11-03-2019, 01:45
I have found that talking religion, Druids to be specific can get them to hang up and fun too.:banana100::eusa_shhh:
Sam

I had thought about using a siren or air horn but we would have to hear it too.

lyman
11-03-2019, 03:00
I ask them questions,

call for a car warranty,, which car? let me know and I will be happy to listen ,m
call for computer issues,,,, which one, laptop or desktop, what and I running, and btw,,, is it online or turned off, can't answer that can you,,,,

etc etc etc,

if I have a few minutes to spare, I will hold them up asking questions,

JimF
11-04-2019, 05:44
I have a 14 yr. old grandson learning to speak Japanese.

He’s pretty good at it and loves to get the calls . . . .

Keeps them on the line a few minutes speaking Japanese . . . ‘Till THEY hang up!

Sunray
11-04-2019, 09:34
"...the robo callers could care less..." Nope. Machines are like that though. Robo-callers are dialer computers not people. Dialer machines are very difficult to track and can be anywhere on the planet.
Bell Canada opted to ignore the 'Do not call' list a few years ago. Endless calls from some Indian location. Cost Bell 2 million bucks. Which is a drop in their bucket.

shadycon
11-04-2019, 03:56
I love wasting their time as much as possible! I stung one out about lower credit card rate with phony numbers, he was pissed when he caught on.:evil6:

Johnny P
11-04-2019, 07:38
"...the robo callers could care less..." Nope. Machines are like that though. Robo-callers are dialer computers not people. Dialer machines are very difficult to track and can be anywhere on the planet.
Bell Canada opted to ignore the 'Do not call' list a few years ago. Endless calls from some Indian location. Cost Bell 2 million bucks. Which is a drop in their bucket.

Yeah, and all those machines in the background of the sweat shop have the same Mujibar accent.

dryheat
11-04-2019, 11:02
If you have a land line your going to get goofy calls. The land line is right up there with Old Time t.v. But lately I get a robo call nearly every morning right at 10:48. It's so predictable. Of course I never answer a call that doesn't have a name attached. They don't leave a message so I have no idea what they are selling.

Former Cav
11-25-2019, 02:27
2 things work for me whether it's the cell phone or land line.
1) I hear the click and nobody talks.... I have not said anything for about 2 seconds ...........then I say
"If you wish to speak to me, speak to me, if you don't then don't call back" Funny, a couple of times I did it to somone I know and they call back and laugh about it. but is HAS cut down on my crank calls.
the other message I'll use is this: in a rough gruff voice and loud...almost shouting "JOES POOOL HALL"
sometimes they will ask "is this a business"? and I say "yes, do you want a table or not? LOUDLY of course.
If it is the clowns from the "stans" calling from microblows about my computer, I try to keep them on line as long as I can.....IF I have the TIME to do so. Otherwise, I tell them I have an apple, or I have Linux.

dryheat
11-25-2019, 08:43
The stans huh? I'm trying to get my head around why it's always some outlandish place that does this stuff.

lyman
11-26-2019, 03:45
2 things work for me whether it's the cell phone or land line.
1) I hear the click and nobody talks.... I have not said anything for about 2 seconds ...........then I say
"If you wish to speak to me, speak to me, if you don't then don't call back" Funny, a couple of times I did it to somone I know and they call back and laugh about it. but is HAS cut down on my crank calls.
the other message I'll use is this: in a rough gruff voice and loud...almost shouting "JOES POOOL HALL"
sometimes they will ask "is this a business"? and I say "yes, do you want a table or not? LOUDLY of course.
If it is the clowns from the "stans" calling from microblows about my computer, I try to keep them on line as long as I can.....IF I have the TIME to do so. Otherwise, I tell them I have an apple, or I have Linux.

I just ask them which computer,

and I tell them, I'll gladly take the time to chat if they can tell me which computer I am one, by model number,,,

so far, no takers

seagoatami
12-05-2019, 11:24
The robo calls are made by a contracted company they get paid for calls made so if they can get 20 calls in a minute they are making money. So when they call I am polite and let them get on with their spiel then I lay the phone down till I hear the hum after they hang up or the sound of phone off the hook.this takes them at least a minute to get off of the phone, so I have cost them 20 phone calls. They catch on pretty quick and the calls start to lessen. after a while of doing this they almost completely stop, cause your costing them money (time is money) getting kinda lonely around here anymore some times I gotta check and see if my phone is working Try it, I think you will be pleased lol lol