PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day parade again

jon_norstog
11-07-2019, 10:19
I get a lot of social media mileage out of playing in the marching band. Coming up is my fifth consecutive Veterans Day parade, in NE Portland.

https://www.veteransdaypdx.org/

I think we're unit 70, somewhere in the middle. They try to keep the bands spaced so they don't step all over each other's music. This is the band

http://www.thebeatgoesonmb.org/index.htm

This is our parade set list:

National Anthem March - it's the national anthem in march time
Tribute to America - medley of "this is my country" and "God bless America"
Venus - an old rock song
Veterans Salute - all five service songs each in their original (and different) key

Then there is a flag ceremony and we play a standup:

America the Beautiful
Washington Post March
The Stars and Stripes Forever
Over Mountains and Valleys
You're a Grand Old Flag
National Emblem March

Got a couple Sousa marches there. You never saw so many notes on a little piece of paper in your life. I really enjoy being part of this event. The band leader lets the veterans wear their old service cap for events where we play the "patriotic set list" and this year I'm gonna wear my old USCG flat hat.

And I wish a good and happy Veterans Day to all of you other vets out there. It's a day to remember what we did, what happened to us, old friends and shipmates, the history of our country, and what the United States means in a world longing for liberty.

jn

free1954
11-08-2019, 01:03
wish I was there to see it. hopefully the weather will be good.

jon_norstog
11-08-2019, 10:05
wish I was there to see it. hopefully the weather will be good.

The weather is supposed to be decent! Last two were rainy and cold, but the worst one was the year we played at Fort Vancouver - a real military parade, complete with flyovers but we got soaked.

jn

JimW in Ore
11-08-2019, 05:29
Be looking for you at the start. Jim

jon_norstog
11-08-2019, 09:06
Be looking for you at the start. Jim

Look for the trumpeter in the purple warm-up with the USCG white flat hat

JimW in Ore
11-09-2019, 05:26
Will do.

jon_norstog
11-09-2019, 09:57
The flag ceremony is in front of Ross Hollywood Funeral Home, about 48th & Sandy. Franz Bakery usually has a truck there handing out free loaves of bread

JimW in Ore
11-11-2019, 05:48
Saw you in the last row and hollered at you. To much noise i guess.

jon_norstog
11-11-2019, 06:11
All I can hear is the band when I'm in a parade. Glad you could make it. Pretty decent parade, hey?

Here's a few pictures I took before the parade started.

46718 46722 46719 46720

jn

free1954
11-12-2019, 07:03
nice pics. thanks for posting. was it cold? it looks like the crowd was bundled up.

jon_norstog
11-12-2019, 08:50
nice pics. thanks for posting. was it cold? it looks like the crowd was bundled up.

It was cool in the morning, especially if you weren't mving around. I rode down on my bicycle and never really cooled down. The temp got up close to 60 by the end of the parade. Some of the bandies, myself included took off the warm-up jackets for the standstill performance.

The turnout was really good and the kids along the route were all jumping up and down, dancing and waving. A good band just makes everyone happy!

jn

free1954
11-14-2019, 11:37
sounds like a good time was had by all. there is nothing like a sousa march to stir the patriotic soul.

jon_norstog
11-14-2019, 10:04
sounds like a good time was had by all. there is nothing like a sousa march to stir the patriotic soul.

You never saw so many notes and rests on one little piece of paper, like ants crawling on a sandwich. I gave up, stayed in key but otherwise pretty much played by ear. They do make a glorious racket, though! Washington Post and Stars and Stripes Forever!

jn